mtbr member

I thought I had it figured out.

Yesterday on a whim, I put my older Van RC back on the Firebird. It felt REALLY good. Maybe the performance on the RP23 had slowly deteriorated and I hadn't noticed. Small bump compliance clearly surpassed the feel that the RP23 produced. I didn't get a chance for any drop or jumps though. My buddy screwed up the first step up and jacked himself up so it was back to the fire road for the rest of the ride. Anyway, I'm leaving the Van on for a while and I'm thinking of getting it pushed.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

Pivotal figure
    The coil shocks still have a huge edge over air on small bumps. They've gotten much better but airtight seals are just stickier than dust seals. The needle bearing kit will really improve the feel of your RP23 if you want to try that out. I rode a friend's bike with that Van on it and it felt pretty nice until I tried the RC4. There always seems to be something better...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Also, there's a lot more seal in general. That little seal on the small diameter shaft of the coil shock vs. the giant seal on the air shaft.

Is that the Vanilla RC that I previously owned? It really is butter on the Fbird isn't it?
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Also, there's a lot more seal in general. That little seal on the small diameter shaft of the coil shock vs. the giant seal on the air shaft.

Is that the Vanilla RC that I previously owned? It really is butter on the Fbird isn't it?
    Its the same one. It feels great. Now I've got myself looking into putting a coil on the front. Currently I run a Magura Wotan, which I've liked. I'm curious about a coil fork though. The weight difference is very little and in some cases light than the wotan.

I do what I want
    Quote Originally Posted by chumbacabra
    Its the same one. It feels great. Now I've got myself looking into putting a coil on the front. Currently I run a Magura Wotan, which I've liked. I'm curious about a coil fork though. The weight difference is very little and in some cases light than the wotan.
    RUN..RUN AWAY from the Wotan!!! Not sure if your aware, but Magura has done away with the Wotan for 2011 and for good reason, its a POS! Ive had one and nothing could make that fork work right. I know the Cali Rep for Magura and even he stopped using his a while back due to performance issues. It was a novel concept, poor presentation.

I would look at Fox 36 Van 160/180 or RS Lyrik DH 170! Good luck!

mtbr member
    AndyD just upgraded to a Fox 180 and I think he has a minty 2010 Van 36 to sell. I have a RS Lyrik DH 170 with very little use I think I'm gonna sell but it's an air fork.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Try a CCDB on the Firebird. Brilliant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford
    RUN..RUN AWAY from the Wotan!!! Not sure if your aware, but Magura has done away with the Wotan for 2011 and for good reason, its a POS! Ive had one and nothing could make that fork work right. I know the Cali Rep for Magura and even he stopped using his a while back due to performance issues. It was a novel concept, poor presentation.

I would look at Fox 36 Van 160/180 or RS Lyrik DH 170! Good luck!
    I had some problems with the damper early on. I go that fixed and it has been running well since. Although I'd say its not the smoothest out there.

I looked into the lyrik DH, but my understanding is that it gets rid of the floodgate. I use the firebird for long climbs before the descent. I'd miss some sort of platform setting.