Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How to get my Mach 5 down to 26lbs?

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Senor StrongBad 
#1 · (Edited)
I am thinking about dropping a bunch more money on my mach 5, to get it down to 26lbs from 31lbs. I was thinking about getting some Easton Havens, Magura Marta SL's, New Tires, XTR or Noir Crankset, New Pedals, New Fork, Iodine 11 handlebars, new 90mm stem and other stuff. Below is what I am Curently running. Please share your thoughts.

Mach 5 - Medium
Fork - 2008 or 9 Revelation team with poplock and maxle. 140mm
Wheels - 2008 mavic crossmax sx
Seatpost and Stem - Thomson Elite and Thomson x.4 110mm.
Seatpost Clamp - Salsa quick release
Tires - 2.3 Nevegal front. 2.1 SM8 back - Tubeless.
Handlebars - Ritchey WCS wetwhite low risers
Grips - Lock on Rogues?
Shifters - X.9
Rear D - X.0
Front D - XTR
Brakes - XT 775
Crankset - XT
Cassette - Sram 990
Chain - Sram 991
Seat - Titanium rail WTB rocket v slt
pedals - Time control Z
Headset - Chris King
Rotors - Venti 180 front. Avid 160 - Rear
Bell - bell with a compass on it. for the 1 time I passed somebody.

I like riding hard and fast through rock gardens and most of my drops are less then 3 feet.

I am trying this all form memory so I might be slighty off on some of the components

See less See more
#2 ·
I've thought the same as you but gave up on bringing it down any lighter without sacrificing durability (or $$$!). Here's what I have for you to compare:

2009 Mach 5 frame - Medium
Fork - '09 Fox Talas (100/120/140) standard QR
Handlebar - Easton Monkeylite XC Low Riser 685mm
Stem - Thomson X4 100mm zero rise
Grips - OSI Chunky
Headset - Cane Creek 110 Zero Stack
Seatpost - Thomson Elite Straight (cut down to 340mm)
Seatclamp - DKG QR
Saddle - Specialized Phenom Expert 143mm Ti rails
Crankset - Shimano XTR 970
Pedals - Shimano XTR 970
Shifters - Shimano XTR 970
Front D - Shimano XTR 970
Rear D - Shimano XTR 972 Shadow
Cables - Shimano XTR SP-41
Brakes - Avid Elixir CR
Rotors - Avid G3 (185mm front, 160mm rear)
Cassette - Shimano XT 770
Chain - KMC X9SL
Computer - Some cheap Echowell I got for $15 but works great
Front Tire - Specialized Purgatory Control 2.2
Rear Tire - Specialized Captain Control 2.0
Skewers - Shimano XTR 970
Wheels - Stan's Olympic rims with Chris King Hubs

This build weighs 26.6lbs. When I put on my Fulcrum Red Metal 1 wheelset (Fulcrum skewers, Spec Eskar Control 2.3 front tire, Spec Captain Control 2.0 rear tire) for heavier & chunkier trail riding, it weighs 27.0lbs.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

#4 ·
bauhaus said:
I do not think that the changes that your are proposing are going to save you 5 lbs.
I agree with bauhaus. Also, I get the impression that you plow through rock gardens and look for drops, so getting too light may not be good for you.

Here are some spots that you can lighten and have a better quality product overall: handlebar (go carbon), ESI sillicon grips (they do not throttle), tires (definitely go tubeless in both) and wheelset (plenty that is lighter than the Crossmax SX but durable still).

#5 ·
onegymrat said:
I've thought the same as you but gave up on bringing it down any lighter without sacrificing durability (or $$$!). Here's what I have for you to compare:

2009 Mach 5 frame - Medium
Fork - '09 Fox Talas (100/120/140) standard QR
Handlebar - Easton Monkeylite XC Low Riser 685mm
Stem - Thomson X4 100mm zero rise
Grips - OSI Chunky
Headset - Cane Creek 110 Zero Stack
Seatpost - Thomson Elite Straight (cut down to 340mm)
Seatclamp - DKG QR
Saddle - Specialized Phenom Expert 143mm Ti rails
Crankset - Shimano XTR 970
Pedals - Shimano XTR 970
Shifters - Shimano XTR 970
Front D - Shimano XTR 970
Rear D - Shimano XTR 972 Shadow
Cables - Shimano XTR SP-41
Brakes - Avid Elixir CR
Rotors - Avid G3 (185mm front, 160mm rear)
Cassette - Shimano XT 770
Chain - KMC X9SL
Computer - Some cheap Echowell I got for $15 but works great
Front Tire - Specialized Purgatory Control 2.2
Rear Tire - Specialized Captain Control 2.0
Skewers - Shimano XTR 970
Wheels - Stan's Olympic rims with Chris King Hubs

This build weighs 26.6lbs. When I put on my Fulcrum Red Metal 1 wheelset (Fulcrum skewers, Spec Eskar Control 2.3 front tire, Spec Captain Control 2.0 rear tire) for heavier & chunkier trail riding, it weighs 27.0lbs.

Good luck!:thumbsup:
I am worried about the durability of lighter components too. That is why I built it up so heavy to begin with. The Red Metal 1 wheels are about the same weight as the Havens? How is the durability of your Xtr crank and pedals?

#6 ·
Senor StrongBad said:
I am worried about the durability of lighter components too. That is why I built it up so heavy to begin with. The Red Metal 1 wheels are about the same weight as the Havens? How is the durability of your Xtr crank and pedals?
I have zero complaints about any of the XTR components, all doing well and durable, super happy with them all. Pedals banged up beyond recognition (3+ years old) too but works just fine. Then again, I'm a pedaler and more of the endurance trail rider and not much chunky stuff, hence the light build, where you may need something beefier. As for the XTR crankset, the middle ring is showing wear and I may have to replace soon. It's been almost 3 years as well.

The only complaint I had (although I think it's my fault for not paying attention) is the XTR cassette I had wore down too much/too fast from not changing my chain enough and had to toss. Costs 3 times as much as the XT but 50g lighter. As you can see, I stuck with the XT cassette nowadays...no diff felt really.

Not sure how much the new Havens weigh. Red Metal 1s are bomb proof, never had to true, and weigh 1717g without skewers. That's respectable for me but not light. My other ones (Stan's/CK) are only 1500g but really "bendy" but that engagement in the King hubs are outstanding!

#7 ·
Spend a lot of money. :D

Some quick and dirty math, YMMV:

My medium M5 weighs 6.75lbs with the BB. A Rockshox Revelation WC is about 3.25lbs, and the entire XX group is around 5lbs. That's 15lbs for frame, fork, drivetrain and brakes.

That leaves 11lbs for wheels, tires, tubes, headset, all control parts, saddle, pedals, cables, housing, etc, etc, etc.

(1500 gr wheelset = 3.3lbs) + (550 gr tires = 2.4lbs) takes up over half of your remaining weight, and leaves 5.3 lbs for all the rest.

Not saying it's not possible, just don't let the wife see the credit card statement. Also, I don't know how much you weigh, but if you like "riding hard and fast through rock gardens and most of my drops are less then 3 feet," lightweight parts, especially tires and rims, probably aren't going to last long.

Good luck though, I'd love to see an honest 26lb Mach 5!

#8 ·
coolhandluchs is right about the $!

My medium Mach 5 came in at 26.2 lbs., actual trustworthy scale weight, as built up to ride (including pedals, generous scoops of Stan's sealant in each tire, a bit of my drool on that beautiful frame, valve stem caps, everything).

Getting under 26 is within sight if lowest-weight-possible was an absolute priority, though it wasn't for me. I could cut down the excess steer tube, go crazy about any excess cable length, use less Stan's, put on skinnier tires, go to a 11-32 cassette, forgo the blingin' Ventidisc rotors, upgrade to Ti pedals, carbon wheels, on and on, most of it would cost more, but not all. Yeah, it's possible.

My original specs for the 26.2 weight:
  • frame: Pivot Mach 5 (Medium)
  • shock: Fox RP23 (7.875 x 2.25)
  • fork: Fox 32 Float 140 FIT RLC (15QR)
  • front wheel: DT Swiss Tricon XM1550 (15mm)
  • rear wheel: DT Swiss Tricon XM1550 (10mm)
  • brakes: Magura Marta SL
  • brake rotors: Magura Ventidisc Centerlock (160mm)
  • bottom bracket: Shimano SM-BB91-41A
  • crankset: Shimano XTR FC-M970
  • front derailleur: Shimano XTR FD-M970-E
  • rear derailleur: Shimano XTR RD-M972-SGS
  • shifters: Shimano XTR SL-M970-A
  • cassette: Shimano XTR CS-M970 (11-34)
  • chain: Shimano XTR CN-7701
  • pedals: Crank Brothers Eggbeater S
  • saddle: WTB Rocket V Team
  • seatpost:Thomson Masterpiece (350mm)
  • stem: Syntace Force 119 (100mm)
  • handlebar: Syntace Vector 31.8 Carbon
  • headset: King InSet
  • grips: ESI Chunky
  • front tire: Continental Mountain King 2.4 UST
  • rear tire: Continental Mountain King 2.2 UST

And I need to say yet again, I love this bike!

#10 ·
That is a really nice build. Nothing stupid light that would sacrifice the intent of the bike, but there is certainly nothing heavy there besides the UST tires. If you wanted to really chase weight you probably would have to put parts on it that you wouldn't necessarily feel comfortable with. My planned build is very similar, although a Large 5.7, but with Sun Black Flag Pro wheels, and Maxxis Ikon EXO 2.2 tires for XC and hopefully some racing. I'll have a set of DT Swiss 5.1/Hope Pro 2 wheels with Nevegal/BG 2.35's to switch in for burlier rides.

#11 · (Edited)
Get rid of that Nevegal!!

I am running Tricons, and if you don't want carbon rims (which often aren't lighter) then I do recommend them. But there are at least one set of lighter carbon rims I now of if you really want to spend money. The best "I still want traction but need lightweight tires" I know of right now are Racesport X-King 2.4 front and RaceSport X-King 2.2 in back, and set them up tubeless (60 g Stans?) you will save mega-weight there compared to most everything else.

XO seems to be lighter than XTR, no? I haven't looked closely recently, though, new XTR might be back to equal.

My Mach 5 is 27.8 I think? Lightweight parts include the Tricons and Formula R1 brakes, heavy stuff includes a 4" Joplin and Talas fork - but man does that make the bike versatile. I have the Thompson Masterpiece for the occasional race that I'll do. I run a lot of different tires.

If you want to go light, you have to use the tire combo I mention above or something of equal weight...

Oh - McGarry - I have same seat. That is the only lightweight seat I can actually ride :). And the tires you indicate are my personal preference for what I consider a normal training ride! For long training rides I use protection because I personally don't care about weight when it comes to getting flats... Between the protection version and latex tubes I had no flats last year with tons and tons of riding.

Oh, and that reminds me, if you are super-light crazy, you have to get his pedals, too. I prefer Candy's but they are both really really good.

The other obvious option to the Thompson is the Easton Monkey Light stuff which I run on another bike and it has worked really well.

#12 ·
LightMiner said:
Get rid of that Nevegal!!

I am running Tricons, and if you don't want carbon rims (which often aren't lighter) then I do recommend them. But there are at least one set of lighter carbon rims I now of if you really want to spend money. The best "I still want traction but need lightweight tires" I know of right now are Racesport X-King 2.4 front and RaceSport X-King 2.2 in back, and set them up tubeless (60 g Stans?) you will save mega-weight there compared to most everything else.

XO seems to be lighter than XTR, no? I haven't looked closely recently, though, new XTR might be back to equal.

My Mach 5 is 27.8 I think? Lightweight parts include the Tricons and Formula R1 brakes, heavy stuff includes a 4" Joplin and Talas fork - but man does that make the bike versatile. I have the Thompson Masterpiece for the occasional race that I'll do. I run a lot of different tires.

If you want to go light, you have to use the tire combo I mention above or something of equal weight...

Oh - McGarry - I have same seat. That is the only lightweight seat I can actually ride :). And the tires you indicate are my personal preference for what I consider a normal training ride! For long training rides I use protection because I personally don't care about weight when it comes to getting flats... Between the protection version and latex tubes I had no flats last year with tons and tons of riding.

Oh, and that reminds me, if you are super-light crazy, you have to get his pedals, too. I prefer Candy's but they are both really really good.

The other obvious option to the Thompson is the Easton Monkey Light stuff which I run on another bike and it has worked really well.
Yeah, i got to get rid of my tires. I was suprised how heavy they were compared to other tires out there.
I have been running some numbers and it looks like I can drop about 3 pounds off the bike with out breaking the bank. New Brakes (Magura marta sl), Wheels (Easton Haven), Tires(TBA), Handlebars (iodine 11 Carbon), Stem(90mm thomson or Stylo), Rotors (Wind Cutters) and Fork ( Rev, Float).
I am currently running Venti rotors and they are heavy. I do not have long enough down hills around here to warrent the need for the extra weight. I think my longest downhill is 2.3 miles (Greenslick).
The problem I am finding with the fork is color. I do not want an adjustable travel fork but I want one in black. The Revs are my favorite. I know color is not a big deal but I hate white and grey. even though my current fork is white. It seems that both Fox and Rockshox are using black on there adjustable travel forks and white on the non adjustables.

#13 ·
I have a 29 lb Firebird that sees Greenslick quite often.

Try these:

Ibis stem with ti bolts will be cheap and under 100g
Wtb silverado off chainlove
Dt Swiss wheels either the 1550 or 1750 setup tubeless with light tires
Previous year's candy or eggbeaters. They show up on chainlove sometimes cheap
Xtr 970 cranks can be had for 299 sometimes
Fox fork non talas

#14 ·
vandalay711 said:
I have a 29 lb Firebird that sees Greenslick quite often.

Try these:

Ibis stem with ti bolts will be cheap and under 100g
Wtb silverado off chainlove
Dt Swiss wheels either the 1550 or 1750 setup tubeless with light tires
Previous year's candy or eggbeaters. They show up on chainlove sometimes cheap
Xtr 970 cranks can be had for 299 sometimes
Fox fork non talas
Thanks for the info. I will check out that Ibis stem. How is it in the stiffness category?
I have looked into the tricon 1550's but have read that they are flexy on the mach 5.7.
I haven't seen a firebird in action yet so if i see one on the trail I will holler out, maybe it will be you and I can check out how you made it down to 29lbs. I do not get up to BC often enough as I live in Spartanburg SC, but it is one of my favorite rides.

#15 ·
+1 on the non-Talas fork....I have a Float-R on my mach5 and can't see needing the TALAS....I make good use of my rebound adjustment when I want to hit some smooth stuff and go for the tall-stiff feel....otherwise...I've never felt the need for any other adjustments which will just weigh you down.

#18 ·
NTZeek said:
I ride tricon 1550s on a Mach4. I certainly wouldn't call them flexy. The reverse curve, higher tension etc. builds a good wheel for the weight. Stong too.
What size tires are you running on the 1550's? Are they tubeless? I read on bikeradar that they are great wheels but look pinched when you mount a 2.2 or bigger tire on them. Do you know the internal rim width? Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.