mtbr member
    Oct 2008

How do you clean your Mach 6?

I got caught in a summer monsoon yesterday and my bike was covered in mud by the end of the ride. I spent 40 minutes cleaning my bike, but it's so hard to get the little bits and pieces out from around the DW links and the drivetrain. Do I have to take my bike apart to get it cleaned properly, or is there a trick to cleaning these tight areas?

mtbr member
    I just don't clean it to that level of detail. Some dirt on the outside of parts won't hurt them. Getting obsessive about cleaning can do more damage than it prevents.

If I have a muddy bike I mist it with a hose to get everything loose.

Then I fill a bucket with warm soapy water and use a cloth to wipe down the frame.

I use the hose on mist to get the soap/mud off.

That leaves the bike clean to touch, but it's not operating room clean. I don't try and clean out every nook and cranny.

All I do for the drivetrain is wipe things down with a paper towel. Lube and after the lube sits for 15 mins I wipe off any excess. Again not trying to get every bit of dirt off. Just the majority of it.

Even with the cost of XX1 chains it's cheaper to replace chains early to preserve the cassette/chain ring than spend lots of time cleaning the drivetrain.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    For the amount of money I paid for this bicycle, I am going to make sure it is as clean as possible. My problem is finding a way to clean that does not require me disassembling the bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    One thing that helps to clean around all the linkage is to take the back wheel off. Much better access with a brush. I do this once every 3-4 washes just because. Otherwise, pretty much as VikB described. Light water pressure around the linkage!

Dual Squishy...
    VikB is spot on. Anything more is unnecessary.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    holy mother of god.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    holy mother of god.
    HAHAHAHAHA! That's what I was thinking... mine involved cursing though.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

dog
    sit! stay!
    ^yeah, yeah, but legit at the same time... i ride during lunch and keep my bike in my office, so i "have to" my DW linkage (among other parts) somewhat clean... i find a squirt bottle can reach the chunky stuff pretty well w/o having to remove anything...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    What is this mud stuff everyone is talking about?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    What is this mud stuff everyone is talking about?

I can report that a dirty Mach 6 doesn't blow apart on the ride or at home.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I will have to post a picture of my bike after 1 ride by my house. It is the exact opposite of that picture. Instead of mud it has a 2" thick layer of dust covering every inch of the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

How do you clean your Mach 6?

If you are going to use a hose, never ever use a hi pressure wash and never ever point even a regular hose at the bottom bracket, the disc brakes, the shocks (especially where the uppers meet the lowers) or the hubs. Really just the frame and the tires.

For me, I just wipe down the excess and use Windex or Simple Green with a fresh towel to clean the rest. Only rarely do I even hose the bike down.

As posters above say, having a small amount of dirt on the suspension linkages or other hard to get places won't hurt. I am like you in that I like a clean bike and go through a post ride ritual after every ride (wipe frame, re-lube chain). This happens when I hang the bike up on the wall and takes about 3 minutes total. But if I were to require a spotless bike after every ride (tires, rims, all the other hard to get places by disassembling the bike) that would be a real drag and I don't think Pivot would make bikes that required so much care and feeding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk