mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Help me find creaking noise on my 5.7c

Hi all, I've got a pretty bad creaking noise going on the 5.7c that is annoying the hell out of me.

It only occurs when pedaling hard up a hill.

Happens if you are seated or standing (so I think it's likely not the seat).

Sounds like BB, lower link kinda area but I realise these noises can travel.

I've removed the lower link and felt the bearings, they seem ok. One felt a little more rough than the other but not like disintegrated or terrible.

I've put a bit of grease on the axle as I heard that can cause creaking noises.

I've used carbon paste on the seat post but no difference.

Kinda out of ideas?

Thanks
    Joel

mtbr member
    If it is that creek you get when you turn the bar then disassemble, clean and re-grease your headset.

If it is like you say, something in the rear end then don't overlook the possibility of your rear wheel making the creek. I had that happen once on a Spec Epic and swore it was the frame only to swap a rear wheel and the sound was gone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    You might get some ideas here: 429c carbon thread. My 429c creaks unless the rear axle is really tight. Also check rear der.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Seatpost
    Seat rails/seatpost clamps = dry - over or under tightened
    Collet connecting the shock to frame
    BB
    Actual pivots = need replaced or lubed

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Loose spoke(s)?
    Last edited by Pinchflat66; 05-28-2014 at 10:14 PM.

mtbr member

Cable ferrules - took me a long time to diagnose that one!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I removed the rear wheel, and noticed the end caps had unwound a few turns. So i've put some locktite on and nipped them up. Will see if that helps or not.

I had the wheels tensioned recently so don't think loose spokes would be it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Regarding the collets on the shock, where are you meant to grease these? eg. do you need to push the collets out of the shock and grease them?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel Fitzgerald View Post
    Regarding the collets on the shock, where are you meant to grease these? eg. do you need to push the collets out of the shock and grease them?
    Don't grease it...you are supposed to use teflon/plumbers tape-thicker stuff. Just cut some pieces out and put them in between the the collet and the shock mount. there is a thread on the SC forum about this.

mtbr member
    Hi all, I've got a pretty bad creaking noise going on the 5.7c that is annoying the hell out of me.

Kinda out of ideas?

Thanks
    Joel
    Pull the rear shock mount. Clean everything and tighten to 24NM.

Solved the creaking on my M6. This solution was something Pivot posted in this forum.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks for the ideas..

Last night I tried completely removing the seat post/saddle and just rode up a hill standing, creaking was still just as bad. So at least I eliminated the seatpost which seems a common one.

I removed the rear shock and cleaned it well and assembled again, didn't help either. But I didn't try the plumbers tape idea between shock and frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Oh yeah, I also greased the rear and front axle in part of the troubleshooting.
    To me it sounds like it is on each pedal stroke, both left and right makes no difference.

I can bounce up and down on the bike and have the suspension do it's thing with no noise at all, perfectly silent.

Only when you get stuck into the pedaling.

I am Doctor Remulak
    Try removing your cassette then clean and apply a light layer of grease to the freehub body and re-install your cassette. This fixed a creak I had a couple years ago.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Oh yeah, I also greased the rear and front axle in part of the troubleshooting.
    To me it sounds like it is on each pedal stroke, both left and right makes no difference.

I can bounce up and down on the bike and have the suspension do it's thing with no noise at all, perfectly silent.

Only when you get stuck into the pedaling.
    Well....then it's your BB...just might need to be taken apart and cleaned and reinstalled with assembly paste.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So 1500km or so on a bottom bracket could see it stuffed?
    Being press-fit guess it's best to get the LBS to change it over?

mtbr member

Joel,

It only occurs when pedaling hard up a hill.

Happens if you are seated or standing (so I think it's likely not the seat).

Sounds like BB, lower link kinda area but I realise these noises can travel.
    (...)
    Recently, i had the same bad creaking noise on my Titus Fireline, titanium hardtail. I removed some parts like the bottom bracket, put a lot of grease. Nothing change... :-(
    Last sunday, during a cool ride, each time i pedal hard for climbing, seated or not, this @!#%$ noise was always present. I guess I found the problem: my rear skewer! I disassemble it, put some grease and....the world of silence is back! :-)

My 2 cents,

Fab'

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    try switching pedals