mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Help me decide! Mach 4 carbon27.5 or 429SL

I am planning to order a Pivot in the next week and am truly crosssed up between the 429SL and the Mach 4 27.5. I ride Minnesota / Wisconsin singletrack - meaning lots of nice dirt but also lots of sharp turns meaning hard on the brakes and then hard on acceleration. Maintaining corner speed is what makes lap time here. We do not have anything like Colorado or AZ conditions. Im a typical XC geek - fairly lean and focused on lap time more than big hits and rock gardens. Think formula 1 . Anyhow, I have a Scott Scale 29 HT now and, while it took me a while to get used to the sluggishness accelerating the big wheels out of corners - elsewhere on the trail I carry more speed vs my old 26 and overall better lap times.
    Now looking to go the next step and add FS - as I hope to do some longer events and also want to go out and have training days where I do 40 miles instead of 20 miles. looking for a suspension to keep the rear wheel beter planted. Have also looked at Specialized Epic and C'Dale Scalpel. But I think the Pivot will be a more versatile machine and will age (with me...getting older) a bit better.

So the $8k question - 27.5 or 29. Sorry - I know this is a bit tired question but thought I would ask between these two Pivot bikes. Its a dream bike build for me and I dont have a chance to demo them locally. But if I dont act soon the allocation will be out until Fall of 2015. Will equip either bike with XTR 1x11 and a light set of wheels.
    Last edited by jtc1; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I've demo'ed both. I thought the Mach 4 was a bit more nimble. I'm no lean XC geek. More of a fat old XC guy. While they both had really great pedaling platforms, for me, the 429SL worked better for my environment. I have lots of 1500-2500 ft. elevation gain fire trail climbs where the 429 just rocks. The longer wheelbase of the 429 keeps me chugging along, slowly but surely and very stable. So I went and ordered the 429. You might be better served by the Mach 4 though.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Not exact bikes but I'll throw in my $.02. I have a 429c and Mach 6. If I could only keep one it would be the 429c. Sub in the mach 4 for the mach 6 and I would still keep the 429. Just a great all around bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    If quickness and sharp turns that you need to accelerate out of are key for you, then the M4 27.5 is your winner....I out accelerate my buddies that are on the 29ers on climbs and just coasting down hill on my M6. they can get up to speed quicker and roll just as fast..if not FASTER!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I also own both a 429C and a M6 (just saying that in order to compare the feel of 27.5 vs. 29) and while the 429 (and all 29'ers pretty much) suffer a bit from the feeling of understeer, they stay up at speed with less effort. 27.5's (for me) have a more natural feel when handling turns, but are harder to stay spun up. You can even see this when the bikes are on the stand, same hubs; same carbon rim manufacturer - 429 wheels just keep spinning. M6 27.5 wheels stop sooner.

Both bikes (M4 and M429) will absolutely rocket out of turns when you put the hammer down so you won't have to worry there.

Climbing, I would have to give it to the 429, again, larger wheels roll over obstacles better.

Hard to have the ONE bike, but here is how I would summarize:

Climbing: 429
    Cornering: M4
    Holding speed over flats: 429
    Downhill: tie
    Acceleration: slight edge to M4, but after a certain point, the 429 holds speed better. Friends who have ridden my 429 can't believe how fast the acceleration is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Just upgraded from 429c with 2x1o to 429sl with 1x11 xtr, ride winters in az and summers in mn/wi. you will love this bike in the Midwest, it just does everything well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I'm debating between the two bikes as well.. I think I know the 429 is the faster and more capable bike, but that 4 is just so damn fun.. Do i want to try and be the fastest or have the most fun.. Damn these wheel sizes!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Jtc1
    What did you end up ordering ?

I'm in the same boat, can't decide between the two. I'm worried if I wait for snow to melt to demo them I won't actually be able to get one

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Another point to consider is that the 29r will lessen the CG effects for a tall rider and the wheel circumference, aside the momentum advantage, spans trail debris which helps with the ride quality. As a heavier rider, this is really noticeable as is improved traction.

Pivot has an active demo schedule, nothing beats a demo ride.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9". I've owned a Mach 429C, ridden the Mach 4 a lot, and my personal Mach 4 arrives Monday. I'm an Enduro style rider and for me the quicker handling and superior acceleration of 27.5 is what I need and prefer. Overall, the higher the speed the better the 429, the tighter the terrain the better the M4.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's