mtbr member
    May 2007

help, mangled shimano bb while trying to remove

I have a 2010 pivot w sram xx 2x9, and just picked up used an 09 in size small since the med i have is too big...

figured the parts swap over would be straightforward
    The shimano press fit bottom bracket on the frame I want to move too, is slightly diff than the sram avid gxp on the frame I im moving from and I couldn't get it to work w/ spacers cleanly

I dug around on the next and pivot's site for instructions on how to remove, couldnt find so took out a piece of rebar and 5lb sledge hammer and tried to nurse it out

well i chewed up the edge of the seals, cracked some internal sleeve, and cracked the race that one of the bearings sits in and oped off the seals from the outer side
    the bearing barely spins if at all now
    I tried press fitting it back in with the press fit tool, slighly better

Im not going to even and attempt to remove the gxp one on the med frame, and just order another,
    so one question is where to get a sram one that fits the pivot mach 5 ?

my camera is at work otherwise id post pics

also going to go back to roaring mouse in sf (where i got it) when they open again and see what the recc and maybe contact pivot and send the frame back to them to have them put a new one in...

another idea would be to go with shimano cranks, but since that one is mangled now, not worth the effort/expense

I was hoping to have something to ride soon, but it seems this has swelled into an larger project

thanks in advance for the tips

G

mtbr member
    I cannot imagine you can ever remove a pressed in bearing like that and re-use it. Only the threaded type allows you to do that.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    May 2007

there some specific tools to do it , park , enduro

i ordered the park tool, about $30, looks like a flaring headset remover, dont have models
    the enduro tools are like 130
    there some sram tools too, but i think one needs some sort of expanding thingy to catch on the lips of something
    I already have a headset press and imagine that could be used to install new ones

Theres the bearing and cup removal, i think they are separate processes

some pictorial on enduros site too

thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gideon
    i ordered the park tool, about $30, looks like a flaring headset remover, dont have models
    the enduro tools are like 130
    there some sram tools too, but i think one needs some sort of expanding thingy to catch on the lips of something
    I already have a headset press and imagine that could be used to install new ones

Theres the bearing and cup removal, i think they are separate processes

some pictorial on enduros site too

thanks
    Yes, there is a good way to get them out. What I'm saying is they won't be in all that great of shape for re-use.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    This is what you need: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=3369

Be sure to order the 92mm wide model of your choice.

mtbr member
    May 2007

thanks i ordered that last night

wonder if I can cleanly remove the existing sram one from the other frame I'm no longer using and re-use it

i bought the park removal too

the shimano one in the second frame i have (and sticking with) is mangled

I'll try and remove the shimano first, and see how that goes

They, they bbs, are slightly different inside and what they can grip on

This is the park tool i ordered
    Park Tool BBT-90 Internal Bottom Bracket Bearing Tool

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    wonder if I can cleanly remove the existing sram one from the other frame I'm no longer using and re-use it

i bought the park removal too

the shimano one in the second frame i have (and sticking with) is mangled

I'll try and remove the shimano first, and see how that goes

They, they bbs, are slightly different inside and what they can grip on

This is the park tool i ordered
    Park Tool BBT-90 Internal Bottom Bracket Bearing Tool
    If you are running SRAM XX GXP you need to replace the Shimano with the one from that link I sent. The spindles are different sizes.

mtbr member
    May 2007

yes, ordered the sram

i have some fancydoo sram xx 2x10 carbon cranks that I want to run
    the 2nd frame i got had a shimano bb alreadt installed, i tried to removed caveman style but mangled it (the bb)

I assume the park tool will remove both the sram and shimano

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i have some fancydoo sram xx 2x10 carbon cranks that I want to run
    the 2nd frame i got had a shimano bb alreadt installed, i tried to removed caveman style but mangled it (the bb)

I assume the park tool will remove both the sram and shimano
    I can't see why the same tool would not work for the SRAM. But like I said, if your SRAM XX crank is GXP you will need to get the BB that I posted a link to.

mtbr member
    May 2007

got it out, mangled, pics

with the proper tool, i was able to remove the sram on from the other pivot i had
    bearings didn't feel rough, so i carefully pressed it on into the second frame im switching too
    still had the brandy new one from universal, so, returing that (it was only $35 or so, non ceraminc)
    I wonder if the one that came with the sram xx build (currently reusing) was the ceramic bearing one? prolly not, i couldnt see any markings to indicate the model
    guessing even the ceramic one wasnt full ceram, like as in races and everything

pics of whats left of shimano
    looks like there was some green glue of some sorts used in the frame cups, which i think i saw somewhere not to use...
    i wonder if the orig installer was pivot or roaring mouse sf (where I got the frame from)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    with the proper tool, i was able to remove the sram on from the other pivot i had
    bearings didn't feel rough, so i carefully pressed it on into the second frame im switching too
    still had the brandy new one from universal, so, returing that (it was only $35 or so, non ceraminc)
    I wonder if the one that came with the sram xx build (currently reusing) was the ceramic bearing one? prolly not, i couldnt see any markings to indicate the model
    guessing even the ceramic one wasnt full ceram, like as in races and everything

pics of whats left of shimano
    looks like there was some green glue of some sorts used in the frame cups, which i think i saw somewhere not to use...
    i wonder if the orig installer was pivot or roaring mouse sf (where I got the frame from)

That looks more like multi purpose/water proofing grease.

mtbr member
    May 2007

its some hard substance, not grease

i tried to remove it with a trusty plastic putty knife, but its def glued to the frame
    i gave up trying to chip it away with anything that might damage the alum (it's bonded that strong)
    I gave up and just pressed the cups in with a headset press

as I wrote in my prior msg, i seem to remember reading on some threads,about glue, maybe even in this forum when i searched other times before posting about bb
    that some ppl, esp on the earlier models, had a similar glue in the shell exp, but I could be wrong...

mtbr member
    See my experience in the link. Someone needs to call Pivot and tell them nicely not to put Green Loctite on the press in bottom bracket when they install!
    Who will make the call?
    Xtr Bottom Bracket Warning On 5.7!!

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rgeniec
    See my experience in the link. Someone needs to call Pivot and tell them nicely not to put Green Loctite on the press in bottom bracket when they install!
    Who will make the call?
    Xtr Bottom Bracket Warning On 5.7!!
    From the Park Tools website

"The bearings are a mild press fit into the frame. In aluminum frames only, it is recommend to either grease the pressed surfaces or to use a mild thread locker. This may seem contradictory, but the idea is to prevent future creaking if the cup were to move. The cartridge bearing is intended to be a permanent part of the adapter and the unit is replaced together."

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...racket-service

From the Shimano tech docs on removal/installation: "Do not reuse the adapters as they can be damaged from the removal."

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830625426.pdf

I'm not sure if a call to Pivot to tell them to stop doing it the right way will be productive
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    GREASE!
    Can't say I have ever used green loctite on any headset install!
    I had to heat mine to the point of almost melting the plastic bearing cup to remove it.
    This can't be the best for a frame.
    God help them if they ever introduce a carbon frame.
    I don't think a call will be required. They should be smart enough to check this forum periodically to see the problems people are encountering.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Why would u ever want to heat the frame to the point of dmg? U NEVER heat carbon direct(i have experience in removing heat bonded stuff to carbon), and what u do is HEAT the item itself and let the heat conduct to the glue....so I may be wrong in this case...but maybe u are uspposed to heat the BB ever so slightly? But since the frames are alumimium...hmmmm....

At any rate the BB isnt supposed to be reused, hence even if i could get it out w/o it looking too bashed up its probably still a better idea to just buy a new one to play it safe

And on a side note, I wouldn't know about you, but the whole idea of a press fit BB doesn't feel safe to me unless there was more than just friction holding it in place, which is why i can agree with the green locktite

P.S. hope u settle ur bike soon....ur bike needs trail love asap haha

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I too had this issue recently and have kindly asked Pivot to investigate using something other then Loctite. I hope they do so because this was a major PITA and definitely hurt my 1st impression. Using the proper tools still destroys the BB, so they are 1 time use as well. In my case, I destroyed a brand new unused XTR BB. The one bike mechanic I found who had experience with these pressfit BB's said he only used Park Grease and never damaged one on removal. He was scared to hit the tool as hard as was required to remove the BB so I had to do it myself, while the frame sat in my lap. I assume, the chance of it someday shifting a touch and creaking is probably higher with grease, and this is why Pivot chose Loctite. Personally, I'll take that risk since I view that as normal maintenance.

Also, after one horrible 24 hrs of Moab, I learned the importance of removing the BB if your frame is ever fully submerged in a flash flood.

Once the BB was out and I pressed in the new GXP everything else assembled like a dream, so I got over it. The 5.7 frame is beautiful and the 26.4 lb bike (even with tough tires, a Gravity Dropper, and bash guard) that I built for my wife is perfect. It makes me pretty jealous as I ride my old 2007 Giant frame around.

Another thing I learned that is non-Pivot related is that the 2x10 cranks must use 2x10 shifters and 3x10 cranks must use 3x10 shifters and also the 3x10 FD, even if you are running 2 rings and a bash.

mtbr member
    I don't care about re-using bottom bracket. Just trying to warn people not to ruin their frame trying to remove it. Good luck if you don't use a heat gun. It will still come out in pieces if you use the heat gun!