mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Help Mach 5 convertion 3X9 to 2X9

My bike is a Pivot Mach 5 2009 and it is time for some upgrading and I wonder if you guys can help me.

I am looking into converting my 3X9 into 2X9 set up. My drive train configuration is a Noir Crankset with XT shifters and XT FD. I was wondering if I can remove the big ring and swap the other two with a 26T & 38T respectively. Do I need to add spacers to the BB?

Do I need to replace my FD and shifter as well? Or could I get away by replacing the FD only?

If you have any tips for the cheapest route to upgrade I would appreciate it.

Thank you for any help you can provide me.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    I've done the same since 2008 to a XT crank and Noir both with bashguards, but not with a 38, 34 and 36. Currently on an Ibis Mojo. All you have to do is;

Install chainrings (and guard)
    Limit the front der with the high screw so it does not got into the big ring position, probably lower the derailleur a bit, test and fine tune.

Go ride!
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    My setup did not work.. I have a direct mount derrauiler and it wont far enough to work with a 38/26.. I am getting the SRAM front derrauiler see if that works.

There's always next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgfjd12
    My setup did not work.. I have a direct mount derrauiler and it wont far enough to work with a 38/26.. I am getting the SRAM front derrauiler see if that works.
    I was able to get those rings to work with my 429 with the stock XT unit. I still need to do some fine tuning to get it running perfectly, but think some time this weekend in the stand will help.

The boys at Pivot did remind me (I had forgotten) that SRAM FDs (at least the XX) require an expensive adaptor to work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    what settings did you use in your shifter? 1,2 or 2,3
    thanks..

Adapter for SRAM XX Front Derailleur on Mach 429
    I am doing this.. just in case
    Last edited by mgfjd12; 04-21-2011 at 06:37 AM.