mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Help: Mach 5.7 Rear Swingarm Cable Routing Issues

Hi guys

Wanted to get know if some of u ppl out there are facing the same problem as me. When my suspension compresses, I find that the shifter cable (where it routes just after the shock towards the swingarm) will bend out and rub against my legs when i pedal....are any of u guys facing this issue?

Currently the LBS has rigged up this small cable tie thingy that has more or less solved the issue...but I am worried that joining those 2 cables tgt will affect the shifting somewhat....heres a pic of what he did;

So are there anyone else on the Mach 5.7 facing the same issue? If not how is your cable routing like? Would really appreciate some feedback/advice on this issue

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    did you ever recieve any feedback on this? I am building up my 5.7 right now and curious what you found

mtbr member
    Did the little rubber tube that surrounds the derailleur cable at the seat tube come on the bike or did you add it.
    If you added it, what did you use?
    I'll have to look at mine closer.
    Lenny

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Did the little rubber tube that surrounds the derailleur cable at the seat tube come on the bike or did you add it.
    I
    I have put 4" patches clear tape to seat post on both sides of the seat tube to prevent cable rub - seems to work ok.
    Cable routing is not a big issue on my bike, if there is too much cable sticking it is a clear indicator that there is too much sag. I did route the cable from left side cable stops to swing arm which might help with this.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Alternate cable routing

I didn't like the factory cable routing, so I did it my own way.
    I bought stick-on cable anchors and ran a 1 pc housing front to back. You can see how I tried to get the routing to bend at the pivots. This gets around the compression of the cable housing when routed over the shock.
    I did the same with the rear brake hose.
    I only use the stock routing for the front derailleur.
    After a year, one of the stick-on anchors is giving up a bit. I may try stripping the double sided tape off and gluing them on.
    Shifting performance with this arrangement has be flawless rain or shine with zero maintenance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help: Mach 5.7 Rear Swingarm Cable Routing Issues-p1000131s.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I don't really see how it can be a cable length issue as the cable housing is fastened to the cable anchors which prevents it from sliding in either direction. So far i'm still using the same cable tie method as in the first pic, but it drives me nuts each time i look at it. Although i must say that with that cable tie on or off has made no perceptible difference in the bike's ride quality.

Jack's cable routing looks interesting, may try that as a project once my exams are over for this school semester and see if theres any possible ways to improve it