mtbr member
    May 2014

Help customize my 429C, just for fun.

Hey everyone - I'm new to the forum, waiting for my 429C SLX to be delivered this week and being obsessive as usual, on the forums reading as much as possible about the bike and various upgrade paths.

The plan is to obviously just ride it as-is for a while, but, I am curious what SLX trim components other members would recommend replacing sooner than later. My plan for the bike is to end up with XT Pro or above equivalent trim, I just didn't want to spend that much at the start.

Let's see the 'worth it' lists.

Thanks!

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I was in the same boat and decided on going the higher build after a year of what I wanted. I started with the process of elimation on what my must haves were example.
    1x11 was at the top of my list everything else was pretty much mix and match. I really like this years xo1 build and basically went this route minus some lets call it factory parts amdwent with a custom wheelset. So i went with buying the frame and just adding the rest and the parts and should be in this week.
    2014 Pivot 429c

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Mine came XT, went XX-1 at about 30 days, no regrets! pike may be next.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I think my first round will be carbon stem, bars and seatpost. What brand/model did you guys go with on these items?

@Bmann - I really like the 1x11 setup as well, I'll probably swap these items out this winter, unless a wheelset would be more advantageous.. need to look into that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Well i went with loaded precision parts since my dealer was pushing their stuff. I liked the stock pivot phoenix carbon riser bar which i ordered through pivot plus the phoenix headset also to match. For the stem i went with loaded precision 6061 alloy 70 mm, wheelset loaded precision x-lite rims with dtswiss 240s hubs. I was originally talked into a full custom loaded precision build handlebars etc but really like the stock phoenix stuff since i was lucky enough to borrow my friends 429c

I was just going to grab one off ebay or just get the low end one and build up over time but realized that i will just bite the bullet and get what i wanted so i dont have to spend more later on.
    2014 Pivot 429c

Long Live the Gorn!
    If you ride steeps or twisties I would put a dropper post on that list. Not sure if I have just gotten lazy but I use mine constantly, not sure i would believe myself if i sent this post back to me in the past. It almost seem essential for how agressive / how much i toss the bike around now.
    KS Lev for me

mtbr member
    May 2014
    bvader - what specific model LEV did you go with?

I currently have the following items in my cart:
    SYNTACE Force 109 Stem
    ENVE Carbon Riser Handelbar
    ENVE Carbon Zero Offset Seatpost

I am however really considering this dropper post. This may be answered with my question above, but assuming I went with a KS Dropper, which model/size is the best cost:weight:function for this bike? I'll go do some searching on this, but if it's a quick answer then please post here. I've never used a dropper, but I can imagine how useful it would be, worth the weight?

My 429C will be delivered today

Can't wait to go ride!

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by disapr View Post
    bvader - what specific model LEV did you go with?

I currently have the following items in my cart:
    SYNTACE Force 109 Stem
    ENVE Carbon Riser Handelbar
    ENVE Carbon Zero Offset Seatpost

I am however really considering this dropper post. This may be answered with my question above, but assuming I went with a KS Dropper, which model/size is the best cost:weight:function for this bike? I'll go do some searching on this, but if it's a quick answer then please post here. I've never used a dropper, but I can imagine how useful it would be, worth the weight?

My 429C will be delivered today

Can't wait to go ride!
    Save yourself some money and take the word ENVE out of your carbon component wish list. Many other brands make great carbon bars and seat posts at half to 3/4 the price and sales can be found on them. Raceface and Easton are my current carbon bars and have used Crankbrothers before.

The KS LEV is the best dropper I've ever used and have 3 in the fleet. I have two 125mm and one 150mm. Since I started using a Crankbrothers dropper in 2010, I can hardly ride without one.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks for the tip, the enve stuff is very nice, but a the same time - I do want the most for my money. The enve stem for instance is actually heavier than the Syntace -- Maybe there are some other benefits, but I think the main benefit is hotness.

The LEV looks pretty good, think I'll get one. For the 429c Medium, the OE SP length is 400mm, which length LEV do you recommend? I wish the LEV C had more travel.

mtbr member
    Go for either the 125 or 150 travel KS. Once you get used to the longer travel posts you won't go back. On the Enve stuff you are paying for the made in the USA label. This is not a bad thing, but just be educated. There is relatively little product differentiation beyond that. Easton is making their stuff in Mexico and does use a different quality of carbon in some of their parts, specifically wheels.

Long Live the Gorn!
    Agreed KS Lev...according to my LBS the length depends on your fitting mine ended up being 125...maximum drop for my seat post height

Yeah ENVE to rich for my blood...looking at some rims mm maybe to lace up On the 240s

change is good
    Sep 2004

Help customize my 429C, just for fun.

Keep the hubs and get carbon rims. If you're strong, go 1x10. Good tubeless tires. If you weigh a lot or like the chunk, slap on a Trace fork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I ended up going with ENVE for the bar and stem, it wasn't a value proposition, but it's very high quality stuff and looks amazing. I yanked the tubes out of my Slant 6 tires this evening and added some stans, and I have some MAXXIS Ikons in the mail for when these get used up.

The KS Lev is now on my shop list along with a 1x setup. There aren't many competent bike shops in my area so maybe one of you can answer this for me. Ultimately I'd like to go 1x11 and I see that SRAM has cranksets for this, but it looks like I'd need to replace the entire driveline. Is it possible to convert my Shimano M625 to a 1x? Or, is it possible to get the SRAM XX1 1x11 crank and use it with my OE cassette and derailleur?

@DrDon - What rims would you suggest? It absolutely won't be ENVE.

74 & 29 pilot
    Keep the cranks that you have and buy a "narrow/wide" ring from Wolftooth Components or race face and slap it on. If you want 1x11, buy a Sram X01 RD, Cassette, chain and shifter. Otherwise you could just add a 40 or 42t sprocket on your current 10spd cassette for 1x10.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/