mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Which headset for Pivot Mach 4 2012 frame

My new Mach 4 2012 frame is on it's way. As it stands I'm planning to move most of the components from my old bike to the new Pivot.
    Disclaimer: I am not a very tech savvy biker.
    My old fork is a Fox Float RLC 120mm 1 1/8" and not a tapered one. From digging a bit on other threads and on Pivot's tech info page I understand I need to get a zero stack headset with a 44mm ID upper cup and a 56mm ID zero stack lower cup.And it also seems that the Cane Creek Angleset HS can be made to fit a 1 1/8" fork. The question is, which is the model I need from the Cane Creek Angleset models: ANGLESET ZS44 | ZS56?
    Also, does this headset include all the parts I need for my LBS to install the Headset and fork or do I need to purchase some other part separately?

Additionally, I also want to transfer my XT M780 crankset to the new frame. On my old bike I ran it with a 68-73mm BB and the Pivot uses BB92. If I purchase a BB92 BB, will it be compatible with my crankset?

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by speedyhead; 07-20-2013 at 08:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    So after some more fiddling around I think I have the answer for both questions but would like some positive reinforcement
    Are these the right HS and BB to order?

Cane Creek Angleset ZS44 > Components > Headsets and Spacers > Headsets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop (BAA0199K option)

Shimano BB-91A Press Fit Bottom Bracket > Components > Drivetrain > Bottom Brackets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The headset is a standard 1-1/8" to 1.5" zero stack (ZS) tapered. No need to go with the Angleset unless you just want to. That said, the one you've picked out should work fine. Don't think you'd need anything else.

If you don't care about adjusting the head angle, something like this would also work:
    FSA Orbit 1.5 ZS Tapered Headset 1-1/8" Steerer from Bike Bling

BB looks correct too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks.
    I plan on running the frame with a 120mm fork. Should I fuss about changing the head angle?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    you can get this for the bottom cup. It'll allow you to run a straight 1 1/8 steerer tube

Cane Creek 40.ZS56/30.Bottom Assembly

The mach 4 rides great with just a normal headset.

c'est la vie
    The older PM4 came standard with the XTR BB already installed from the factory. I do not see anything on Pivotís website that contradicts this. You may wish to check with Pivot before buying a BB.

And yes, the Shimano XT M780 crankset should be perfectly compatible with the BB92.
    "If I should die darling in your arms, what a lovely way to go..." Don Felder -All of You