Thread: headset options

more beers, lees gears.

headset options

Just picked up a Pivot mach 4 frame and I need a headset. Seems like there really is not a lot of options.

I have a Fox fork with the 40mm crown that tapers to the standard 30mm top .

Is this the only headset option?
    Ritchey Zero WCS Carbon Headsets > Components > Headsets and Spacers > Headsets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

I have been all over the usual bike sites and anything that is the 44mm insertion zero stack, has a 30mm crown.

Just want to see a few options, but feeling pretty limited.
    A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.

MTBR Member
    From Pivot: "What headset do I need for my Pivot Cycles frame?

For 2008 to 2010 Mach 4 and Mach 5, and 2008 to 2011 Mach 429 use a 44mm ID headtube designed to fit a zero-stack headset. ZS headsets press in just like a standard headset, but the entire headset, bearings and all, fit inside the headtube. The zero stack headset is designed to use a 1.125 standard steerer tube.

For riders wanting to run a tapered steerer on 2008 to 2010 Mach 4 and Mach 5, and 2008 to 2011 Mach 429, we recommend a Cane Creek 40 TR44/40 lower headset cup. This is an external cup that allows the use of a tapered steerer for any of the above models
    ."

So, you would just use a tradition external lower cup.

You don't want that Ritchey headset...1) it doesn't accommodate tapered steerers 2) those look like drop in bearing, not press in cups

The CaneCreek 44/40: Cane Creek 40 Series EC44/40 Bottom Cup > Components > Headsets and Spacers > Headsets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

more beers, lees gears.

MTBR Member
    That's the one. Enjoy the bike.

more beers, lees gears.
    Fantastic. Thanks. I think it was my tapered steerer that was making this harder than it should have been, in my head at least.

650b me
    I'm pretty sure Chris King makes one that will fit too, if you're looking to spend more money.

Members who have read this thread: 1