mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Having trouble getting 5.7 cockpit dialled

Hi all,

I have recently got a 2011 Mach 5.7 frame (L) and am having trouble getting a comfortable cockpit that feels like all the reviews descibe. I am 6'2" with a 35" inseam, ~190-200 wet weight. I feel like I have the suspension reasonably well dialled but I'm curious to know what length stem/bars/spacers/seat position other guys my size are using. I cant go really wide bars as many of my local trails wont allow it (dense vegetation with tight, narrow trails), I have had 710mm bars and wouldnt go any wider than that. Currently have a 150 fork but I also have a 140 TALAS with Gary Fisher G2 geometry (greater offset crown) I could use.

Anyone out there with similar body dimensions, it would be great to hear what setup had worked for you!

Addicted
    May 2006
    What seatpost are you using currently?
    What stem lengths have you tried?

There's a lot of personal preference in bike setup and it's very much comfort related.
    I'm about 2" shorted than you but with a .5" longer inseem so my cockpit is a straight LEV post, 10mm spacer under my Spank Spike 50mm stem, Spank Subrosa 30mm tall 747mm wide bars and a 34 Talas fork.
    With the 150mm Float fork I used a 20mm spacer.

You'll have a narrower bar and a longer torso by about 2.5" so I would start with a 90mm stem with maybe 20mm spacers and adjust from there. If you like a really stretched out feel I would try removing spacers from under the stem first, then going to longer stems. If you want shorter, try adding a 5mm spacer under the stem to see if you notice at all if not, then start moving back in stem sizes to get the perfect fit.

We are a Pivot dealer and all of the bikes that we have come in, come with crazy long 110mm stems. On the other hand, our Norco bikes are all shipping with short 70mm stems. We've set up a trainier in our repair check in station with a range of stems with a 7 degree rise from 60mm to 110mm as well as 25 degree rise stems in the same run so that we can dial in that perfect fit during the initial build up and again if their preferences change.
    If your local bike shop doesn't have a selection of stems and headset spacers to try out and get a proper fit then have them order a few you might light. Origin 8 makes some light, strong, good looking inexpensive stems (check the Pro-Fit UL at $30 and 105g) that are great to experiment with and most any shop can order some up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the detailed response! I should clarify that it wasnt that I was uncomfortable, the bike just didnt 'feel' or handle as all the reviews described. Anyway, I had the bike setup with a 90mm stem, 700mm bars and a layback Thomson with the seat about 5mm forward of centre on the rails. The one major thing I noticed in your suggestions was to start with 20mm spacers and work from there - I had a 5mm! I tried an extra 5mm tonight and it does feel better, though it still didnt feel quite right.

I then decided to see how the 140mm TALAS G2 fork I had lying around would feel. With this fork and another 5mm spacer (now 15mm) the bike has been transformed! It feels balanced, razor sharp handling but not twitchy (though yet to try on proper trails) and it allows me to use body english more effectively.

I will reserve further praises for the fork until I've given it a proper trail test, but I really think Pivot should look into greater offset fork crowns. The Mach 5.7 now reminds me of the best handling bike I have owned (Gary Fisher Roscoe). I was gutted when that bike snapped, heres hoping that the Mach 5.7 will now give some of what I miss from the Roscoe but with the DWLink climbing prowess.

Addicted
    May 2006
    I'm glad to hear that adding a few spacers under the stem helped. It was a total guess as to what you have a for rise on your stem/bars/spacers. I was just trying to establish a good baseline for what we've found to be nice neutral position.

I'm curious if you wouldn't feel more comfortable with the 150mm fork if you went back to a straight seat post. The 5.7 uses a bit more relaxed seat tube than many long travel bikes. A relaxed seat tube is great but one of the downsides is that your front wheel feels unweighted at times when climbing while seated. A relaxed seat tube combined with a layback post is putting you pretty far over the rear wheel and may leave you with a front end that feels like it wanders a bit.
    I'm curious if going back to a straight post, a slightly longer stem and the 150mm fork would allow you to regain some of that sharpness in terms of keeping your body a little more centered over the wheelbase.

It sounds like you've found something that works for you and that's great. The Roscoe is a fair sized change in terms of geometry to the Pivot. Don't give up yet, the reviews you've read do very much nail it on the head when it comes to the 5.7 being a very sharp, nimble and direct bike.