mtbr member
    May 2006

Has Anyone gone from a 5.7c to a Mach6

Looking for a new bike I know there are to different bikes but looking for some feed back who has rode both thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I made that transition while ago. Both bikes feel very similar.

Mach 6 just does everything little better.

It rolls over rocks and roots better and you can blow thru stuff with more speed.

Despite its benefits I can't think anything it does worse than 5.7.

It feels just as snappy and playful as 5.7.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the feedback which one climes better

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    FWIW, I just posted a review of the M6 that compares it to my experience test-riding the M5.7 (Mach 6 Review Thread). I agree with quadro that the M6 feels a lot like the M5.7, but better in every way including (of course DH, but also) climbing traction on steeps, roll-over (roots, logs, etc), and is equally great on long grinding and/or sprint climbs. The scales say the M6 is heavier than the 5.7, but I didn't feel the weight difference while pedaling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a 5.7 and have now ridden the 6. The 6 is just as capable as the 5.7, if its a better climber its not that significant.

I have an ardent/minion 2.35 on the 5.7, Hans dampfs on the 6.

I did have to put a 60mm stem and low rise cromag bar on the 6 to make it as snappy as the 5.7. They're both very comparable bikes.

With the way the industry is going if I were to buy a new bike and wanted a capable xc bike it would be the 6. Since I already have the 5.7 and I don't find it lacking, I see no need to change.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodiegrrl View Post
    I have a 5.7 and have now ridden the 6. The 6 is just as capable as the 5.7, if its a better climber its not that significant.

I have an ardent/minion 2.35 on the 5.7, Hans dampfs on the 6.

I did have to put a 60mm stem and low rise cromag bar on the 6 to make it as snappy as the 5.7. They're both very comparable bikes.

With the way the industry is going if I were to buy a new bike and wanted a capable xc bike it would be the 6. Since I already have the 5.7 and I don't find it lacking, I see no need to change.
    It is the second time I hear that from a 5.7 rider. That the 6 is a nice bike but not worth the switch. I have a pretty sorted 5.7 myself build more AM and I really like the way it rides. Was not able to demo Mach 6 but tried many other bikes including 29 and 27 wheels. My 5.7 still feels better. The problem is - If I'm going to spend 6-7 K on a bike I want to be super excited about it and want it to feel different and WOW me on every ride... Kind of what happened when I switched from giant reign to Pivot 5.7....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyam3 View Post
    It is the second time I hear that from a 5.7 rider. That the 6 is a nice bike but not worth the switch. I have a pretty sorted 5.7 myself build more AM and I really like the way it rides. Was not able to demo Mach 6 but tried many other bikes including 29 and 27 wheels. My 5.7 still feels better. The problem is - If I'm going to spend 6-7 K on a bike I want to be super excited about it and want it to feel different and WOW me on every ride... Kind of what happened when I switched from giant reign to Pivot 5.7....
    yeah, that "wow" factor is so subjective and hard to decipher weather or not it's worth the extra bank. Same thing I'm thinking with my current HD vs. the Mach 6. The angles and specs on the Mach are awesome but is it "worth" the extra $3k for a frame? IDK. Only each person and their pocket book can judge that.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ken from pivot wrote in another thread:
    "The tune/ride characteristics of the M6 are very much in line with other Pivot frames but especially similar to the 5.7. I've already said it elsewhere but to repeat myself, it's like a 5.7 on steroids. It still retains that trailbike feel but has a more relaxed feel on the descents. Not as DH as a Firebird but you definitely don't need to hold back in the chunk.
    As for the 2014 Fox suspension: I haven't really spent much time on the forks but I have put a LOT of time on the new FloatX CTD shock and I can assure you that is one nice unit. I was able to do back to back comparisons with it and the CCDB on my Firebird and while the CCDB had the edge it wasn't nearly as big a margin as I thought it would be. The FloatX is a HUGE improvement from previous offerings and the simplicity of setup compared to the CCDB evens things out IMO."

So I think the next step would be to try the float x shock on 5.7 that would take it even closer to M6 since I already run pretty big tires measuring 27 in diameter. That is a 400 dollar upgrade vs 6k for a new bike. Any body tried that shock on 5.7?

mtbr member
    Just send your ctd to avalanche - $200 fix and transforms the bike! So much better on the square edged chunk. If you don't have a 34 or Pike on the 5.7c that will make a huge difference too. You're then 5mm less travel and less than a degree in head angle from the Mach 6. (and obviously the wheel size) but you've got a lighter and highly capable bike in a 5.7c. Plus I wonder what you'd get for a used 5.7 frame since 27.5 is all the rage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    yeah, that "wow" factor is so subjective and hard to decipher weather or not it's worth the extra bank. Same thing I'm thinking with my current HD vs. the Mach 6. The angles and specs on the Mach are awesome but is it "worth" the extra $3k for a frame? IDK. Only each person and their pocket book can judge that.
    From my POV, absolutely. Worth every penny that I spent on it. I notice the difference in both the climbs and descents. I set 11 PR's of which 6 were top 10's on my ride today and still have not completely dialed in my fit. Faster everywhere.

mtbr member
    @ SP: That's an interesting early result!

I had another great ride on my Mach6; I keep throwing different types of trails at her. The Mach6 is really an amazing all rounder for my riding style, which would currently be labeled AM/Enduro. Probabaly the ideal one bike solution for this rider, if I was a one bike kind of guy...

mtbr member
    No doubt a great do it all bike. I did 17 miles today with 2.5K of climbing and 9 miles yesterday with 1800' of climbing. Only challenge for me so far has been my change to 170 cranks. I noticed I am working my quads much more with these, but the bike is a great climber.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    @salespunk Would you mind sharing more of your impressions of the mach 6 Climbing tech stuff, pedal efficiency, etc. How does it take big jumps... compared to firebird etc... Thank you

mtbr member
    I don't have any experience with the Firebird. The Mach 6 kills the tech climbing and I have a 160 Pike on mine instead of the 150. Pedaling efficiency is great and I have not had any issues climbing. I am not a jumper, but this video of my buddy clearing 35'+ doubles should give you an indication. I am next to a 15' gap on the line, the bigger gaps are farther down.