Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant View Post
    Sure,

As a pure race bike - the scalpel is "faster" creeks and frustrations not withstanding (I just worked through a couple creeks on the pivot, but cured them).

It's quicker handling and a shade more effecient. It's close, but the scalpel is more of a pure race bike.

That said, put a 100-110 mm fork on the pivot, give it a light build and it's not that much behind the scalpel.

The pivot can do more things very well, the scalpel does one thing excellent if that makes sense.

The advantage on the pivot is that you can slap on a 120mm fork (or something adjustable) a dropper post and some beefier tires and have a heck of a trail bike.

Right now mine I have lighter tires and a fox float on it at 110mm - it's great midseason here in Michigan.

A month ago I slapped on some 2.3 tires, a 120mm talas terralogic, a shorter stem and a 28 tooth front chainring and had a blast out in colorado on it. Next year I'll put a dropper post on it.

back home - 32tooth up front (could go 34 or 36, but that would involve a chain change, that other fork, a 90mm stem and a carbon seatpost along with some lower tread 2.2 tires - and it's great here in midwest singletrack.

Let's put it like this, I hate creeks and it took me forever to track one down on this bike and I was almost convinced it was the frame. I bought it from competitive cyclist and could have returned it for all my money back... and I was determined to find the creek because I like the bike that much.
    Yeah that makes perfect sense. You should quote bike reviews for a living my friend. I'm going to give the Scalpel until the end of the season. Maybe this winter I can tie in a
    Demo on a trip to Phoenix.

Oh a side note, just sent in the xx shock for repair. The remote lockout is no longer working. I do like Fox shocks better..

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I did have two tallboys (medium and large) and in fairness I cracked both of them (I'm 190-200lbs, don't jump a ton). Santa Cruz was OUTSTANDING about the warranty. I could still be very happy on a tallboy, but thus far am very happy with the Pivot decision.
    First, great review! I know this is an old thread but I found your review - and comparisons with other bikes you have experienced - very helpful. Rep for you!

For all the talk from vendors about the near-indestructibility of carbon (including Pivot, where Chris Cocalis recently stated in the Flow interview that alloy frames would never have survived the testing their carbon frames endured), reports like yours of cracking frames cause me no little worry. If I opt for the 429c over the 429, will I be spending lots of post-ride time examining the frame microscopically for signs of inevitable structural failure? And, after the warranty period is up, personal financial failure due to an unexpected frame replacement? These things ain't cheap.

danz261
    Very thorough review...thanks for posting. I am considering a Tallboy Carbon 2, Mach 429 carbon and Jet 9 carbon. Some posters here have raved about the scalpel 29er carbon also. Main use will be xc racing with some all trail use (all mountain doesn't apply to Florida . Again thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Sure,

As a pure race bike - the scalpel is "faster" creeks and frustrations not withstanding (I just worked through a couple creeks on the pivot, but cured them).

It's quicker handling and a shade more effecient. It's close, but the scalpel is more of a pure race bike.

That said, put a 100-110 mm fork on the pivot, give it a light build and it's not that much behind the scalpel.

The pivot can do more things very well, the scalpel does one thing excellent if that makes sense.

The advantage on the pivot is that you can slap on a 120mm fork (or something adjustable) a dropper post and some beefier tires and have a heck of a trail bike.

Right now mine I have lighter tires and a fox float on it at 110mm - it's great midseason here in Michigan.

A month ago I slapped on some 2.3 tires, a 120mm talas terralogic, a shorter stem and a 28 tooth front chainring and had a blast out in colorado on it. Next year I'll put a dropper post on it.

back home - 32tooth up front (could go 34 or 36, but that would involve a chain change, that other fork, a 90mm stem and a carbon seatpost along with some lower tread 2.2 tires - and it's great here in midwest singletrack.

Let's put it like this, I hate creeks and it took me forever to track one down on this bike and I was almost convinced it was the frame. I bought it from competitive cyclist and could have returned it for all my money back... and I was determined to find the creek because I like the bike that much.
    So cool I live in Michigan as well. I currently own a Ventana El Padrino 29er HT and a Ventana El Bastardo 650B FS. I am in the market for a new FS bike and am considering a few bikes. As you know living in Michigan doesn't afford us the chance to demo many bikes so we have to go off of great reviews like the one you wrote up. So my question to you is I am 5'6" so rather short. How do you think the 429C would work for a shorter rider like myself? I really like my Bastardo but have really been jonesing for a full suspension bike with a newer suspension design like the DW and Switch from Yeti.

The other bikes I am considering are Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5", Yeti SB75(if they release it in Carbon next spring), Yeti SB95, Ibis Ripley and Ibis HDR-650B.

Thanks,

Chuck

11 is one louder than 10
    Quote Originally Posted by procos View Post
    So cool I live in Michigan as well. I currently own a Ventana El Padrino 29er HT and a Ventana El Bastardo 650B FS. I am in the market for a new FS bike and am considering a few bikes. As you know living in Michigan doesn't afford us the chance to demo many bikes so we have to go off of great reviews like the one you wrote up. So my question to you is I am 5'6" so rather short. How do you think the 429C would work for a shorter rider like myself? I really like my Bastardo but have really been jonesing for a full suspension bike with a newer suspension design like the DW and Switch from Yeti.

The other bikes I am considering are Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5", Yeti SB75(if they release it in Carbon next spring), Yeti SB95, Ibis Ripley and Ibis HDR-650B.

Thanks,

Chuck
    I think that a small 429C would likely work well for you. I'm just 5'10 and the medium is spot on for fit.

I think the SB95 while nice, is likely a bit slow handling for our neck of the woods, but I don't have any real experience on it other than a parking lot demo out West.

Ibis Ripley - numbers look interesting and looks like it would handle quick enough.

27.5 - well, can't speak too much to it. The little time I have it feels more like a 26 than a 29er though.

The other bike I wouldn't hesitate to recommend is the Tallboy 2. I have not ridden the TB2 Carbon yet, but if it's stiffer than the original and slightly more linear it would be great here. I found mine to handle great. The Pivot is just slightly firmer and racier than the Tallboy was. Tallboy a tad more playful so to speak.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Green Machine Initial Review (429 carbon)

Quote Originally Posted by procos View Post

Thanks,

Chuck
    I also live in Michigan and have had a chance to ride some of the bikes you're looking at. I own a tallboy c v1

I was pretty set on the yeti sb95c based on a strong recommendation from a friend out west. I demoed one w/ 120mm fork in northern Michigan (fast flowy to tight) with the intention of buying it. I agree with green giant's assessment. It performed incredibly when things opened up but a little too compromised in tighter sections, like steep uphill switchbacks. It's definitely confidence inspiring if you can keep your speed up.

I rode the ripley out west on trails that are much different than ours, with a cockpit setup that was more upright than I prefer. It was ok but I felt awkward on it when things got fast or technical. The rear suspension was very very good. The bike was very lively feeling. I had issue with the vague feeling of the front set at 140mm. I didn't gain much confidence with it over my 4 hour demo. Maybe if it were set at 120-130mm with a stiffer fork it'd be nicely balanced for aggressive xc? Not sure.. I wanted to love it but the vague front end and non stop creaking broke the deal for me.

Those demos left me with the 429c, czar, and tb2c as the better choices for me. I get on with my tb so good, with the only complaints being addressed with the changes to the tb2. I'm definitely going that way very soon. But I think any of these three would work great for Michigan xc trails. It'd come down to fit and other small factors.

Edited for coherence
    Last edited by jeffro; 10-22-2013 at 05:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Very useful. I'l looking to replace my RM Element 970 BC. Appreciate the time taken to review these 3 bikes. A ripley is also on my list though...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: Green Machine Initial Review (429 carbon)

The other bike I wouldn't hesitate to recommend is the Tallboy 2.
    Don't forget the Turner Czar.. The geometry is quite similar to the 429c when run with the same fork.... Turner's default czar build uses a 100mm fork but a lot of non-racers use a 120 and are loving it.

change is good
    Sep 2004

Green Machine Initial Review (429 carbon)

If you're heavy I would lean towards the 429 rather than the TB. The 429 is more robust. The TB is a very nice ride. I have a SuperMax on my 429. It's AWESOME!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2