mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Going Pivot-less.....

Well, after nearly 20 years of riding, I'm leaving the sport. My neck has taken a beating so its time to take it easy.

I post this on here because I have two Pivots that have been thee very best trail bikes I've ever ridden....and I've ridden many. Probably at least 15 different bikes over the years. Many different brands and types of bikes.

I've seen the industry evolve from rigid, to the first suspension forks to FS bikes. Cantilever to V to disc brakes. 25mm travel forks to 8" triple clamp forks. Aluminum to carbon. 9mm to 20mm to 15mm. 135x9 to 142x12. 24" to 800mm. Square taper to BB92. Triple rings to single rings. 7spd to 11 spd. 2.1 to 3.0. Hard compound to triple compound. Quick release to infinite travel. Wide padded to love channel. 120mm to 50mm. 24T to instant engagement. Plain white/silver to multi-colored and pastel. 34lbs to 27lbs.

Finally: $250 to $9k. Phew.

My two current, soon to be gone rides:
    A Mach 5.7c that is a great XC/AM bike. It's set up with Enves, 1x10 Wolftooth 42t, XTR.

Then there's the star of the show: Mach 6. Also with Enves, XX1. Just the sweetest ride there is. This is as close to a DH bike with uphill capabilities as one can get. Simply superb and to me the industry game changer for others to follow.

"And now, the end is near, and so I face, the final curtain."

Take care out there mtb world.

Myitch
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I for one am really sad to see anyone quit this sport I love soo much. Myitch personally I do not know you, but obviously you have been riding for quite some time, and will be missed to the guys and gals you ride with.

On another note I understand your neck is bothering you and I am no doctor in any way but don't they have pills or some type of drugs just to keep you riding. Man look at lance Armstrong he would still be riding with drugs if he could (not that I condone that type of drug for what he did just making a stupid point)

Keep riding at least in your dreams and try to pass on some knowledge you have gained to some young kid getting into the sport. I am sure years from now he/she would appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Have you tried radial ablation? For the better part of the last ten years my neck pain made enjoying many outdoor activities difficult. I had tried PT, massage, chiropractic and steroid injections, none of which helped. My first ablation did offer considerable relieve but the pain still made riding less than enjoyable. The second ablation, one joint lower, eliminated almost all of my pain. Seven months later I rarely even notice the pain.

Living with chronic pain sucks! I hope you find relief.
    AKA: G-wat

mtbr member
    I hope you can find a way to stick with it. Having had two back surgeries and my doctor recommending neck surgery last year, I know where you are coming from. Luckily for me, stretching multiple times per day and a home traction system are keeping me pain free and feeling stronger than ever. Make sure you exhaust all options before you move on. I gave up riding for 7 years and am still pissed that I missed that much time on the bike.