mtbr member

Front end setup on Firebird - taller bars or more HS spacers?

OK, my headset finally arrived and it's low stack. The top cup is only a couple of mm above the head tube. Right now, I have the HS cup, some spacers, then the stem. With the low stack top cup, I'm gonna need a TON of spacers and it'll look funny. Right now I have 1" riser bars but I have some 2" risers kicking around and I could run not-very-many spacers that way. Which way should I go?
    "It looks flexy"

I do what I want
    I would keep the 1" bars and run them as low as possible, no spacers below stem, maybe a tiny 2-2.5mm one but thats it. But thats my personal preference, Im all about the low bars thing. Im sure some disagree, but that just me. Good luck, Im sure if your try enough different setups you'll find one you like, but its really personal preference.

What you couldve done was measure your bar height before taking it all apart and then adjust new setup as needed. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford
    I would keep the 1" bars and run them as low as possible, no spacers below stem, maybe a tiny 2-2.5mm one but thats it. But thats my personal preference, Im all about the low bars thing. Im sure some disagree, but that just me. Good luck, Im sure if your try enough different setups you'll find one you like, but its really personal preference.

What you couldve done was measure your bar height before taking it all apart and then adjust new setup as needed. Good luck.
    Guy,
    I haven't taken anything apart. I know what I like bar height wise. Just trying to decide if it's better to run the tall bars or spacers...
    "It looks flexy"

Cthulhu fhtagn
    who cares what it looks like?
    Specialized HardRock 29er
    Nashbar 29er SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager
    who cares what it looks like?
    Is that a vote for bars or spacers?
    "It looks flexy"

I do what I want
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Guy,
    I haven't taken anything apart. I know what I like bar height wise. Just trying to decide if it's better to run the tall bars or spacers...

Ah I see forgive my confusion.

I personally prefer taller bars over spacers!! I would do tall bars first and if needed add spacers. But I hate steep angled stems so my choice, to get height needed, would be in this order..

1) tall bars
    2) spacers
    3) angle stem (ugh I hate those!)

mtbr member
    HOLY RON JEREMY! Well, I was gonna send back the bars but maybe I'll just keep them. This is the stem I have... note the need for many spacers with this design.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford
    Ah I see forgive my confusion.

I personally prefer taller bars over spacers!! I would do tall bars first and if needed add spacers. But I hate steep angled stems so my choice, to get height needed, would be in this order..

1) tall bars
    2) spacers
    3) angle stem (ugh I hate those!)
    "It looks flexy"

I do what I want
    HOLY RON JEREMY! Well, I was gonna send back the bars but maybe I'll just keep them. This is the stem I have... note the need for many spacers with this design.

Yeah that would totally be my ticket, zero degree rise stem love it!!! I would def keep the taller bar and try that first to see if you can get rid of some of those spacers.

Ive just never liked the look of spacers it takes something away from the overall look and symmetry of the bike. Just me though, Ive seen much taller applications here on MTBR and I cringe every time .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just slammed my stem (stock 70mm syncros) and loving it. Now I'm thinking about one of those point one stems that you have to cut the steerer tube to use - that's kind of a one way trip though. What do you like about a higher bar gti?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible
    Just slammed my stem (stock 70mm syncros) and loving it. Now I'm thinking about one of those point one stems that you have to cut the steerer tube to use - that's kind of a one way trip though. What do you like about a higher bar gti?
    My back doesn't hurt after a ride... it's mostly rider position. There is certainly a point where you end up making the front end wander on steep climbs that I guess would be a little different for each person.

My Nomad bars are a little bit lower and it always feels like I'm leaning forward on my bike so those are gonna go up a little bit, or I'm gonna put the Lyrik 170 on that bike (raising it by 10mm, but I can still take spacers out if that makes it too high) although I was going to get rid of that fork.
    "It looks flexy"

Cthulhu fhtagn
    Is that a vote for bars or spacers?
    its a vote for do whatever is easiest and costs the least, who cares what it looks like. if you got the bar already go for it. worst thing that can happen is you dont like it and decide to go with the spacers. not that tough of a decision really
    Specialized HardRock 29er
    Nashbar 29er SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager
    its a vote for do whatever is easiest and costs the least, who cares what it looks like. if you got the bar already go for it. worst thing that can happen is you dont like it and decide to go with the spacers. not that tough of a decision really
    Yeah, not that tough. Was just polling to see if anyone had a great reason to go one way or another. Everyone around here seems to be running those nearly flat uber wide RaceFace bars but I guess most of those guys also have full on DH forks and/or are kids pushing their bike up the hill for a 10 minute ride back down.
    "It looks flexy"

wheelie king
    That Sunline stem is practically a negative rise. If you got a stem with a 5 or 6 degree rise and a taller stack height, you could eliminate the spacers and/or tall bar. Syncros or Truvativ AKA are a couple that come to mind. I'm not a fan of tall bars or a lot of spacers. Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    OK, well here's the dealio. I put the Sunline stem on there. The reason I have it is: it's 65mm, exactly 5 mm longer than my Nomad stem... and that's the difference in TT lengths. No biggie but it happens to be. The other reason $40 for that stem, RaceFace DH cranks and a very nice RF DH BB, new TruVativ Bars, some pedals, new Giro gloves... I couldn't pass it up.

Anyway, just before I knocked the headset out I just about decided to throw it on my Nomad... but the 'mad headtube is .75" shorter so that would have been a pain too.

Here's the pics. The bars are in exactly the same position as they were with the old setup. Just riding around in the garage it felt kind of tall so I might lower it down a bit. Also gonna decide on a stem and throw that on. I really like how it steers with a 60mm or so stem. OK, before and after pics. Warning though... it looks a little funky.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Front end setup on Firebird - taller bars or more HS spacers?-before.jpg  

Front end setup on Firebird - taller bars or more HS spacers?-after.jpg  

"It looks flexy"

I do what I want
    Yeah, not that tough. Was just polling to see if anyone had a great reason to go one way or another. Everyone around here seems to be running those nearly flat uber wide RaceFace bars but I guess most of those guys also have full on DH forks and/or are kids pushing their bike up the hill for a 10 minute ride back down.
    Meh, I like low wide bars def helps the ride in a few areas like cornering, descending steeps and climbing. So lower def gets my vote for a bunch of great reasons that have nothing to do with vanity.

I ran a lowered Totem Solo Air (160mm) on my last 6" bike and slammed my bars as much as possible, even had my stem flipped to give me -5* angle, just feels better and my back doesnt feel to bad for a 39yr old, you get used to it and it helps to have a strong core. Of course Im an odd duck too, I run a 1x9 on my bikes and I do not walk anything, HAB (hike a bike) is not an option or I run the risk of feeling like a total puss! Im kind of a sadist.

Trophy Husband
    I put the Sunline stem on there.
    Good luck with that stem. Hope your using a full face. I have (had) the same stem (although it's a 50mm) and it doesn't clamp with enough force to keep it from spinning under torsional loading. I have several friends with similar reports.

Pretty scary when your bars twist while your still moving after hitting something fairly mundane.

If you like the Sunline, get the DH version. The AM version is $hit.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Good luck with that stem. Hope your using a full face. I have (had) the same stem (although it's a 50mm) and it doesn't clamp with enough force to keep it from spinning under torsional loading. I have several friends with similar reports.

Pretty scary when your bars twist while your still moving after hitting something fairly mundane.

If you like the Sunline, get the DH version. The AM version is $hit.
    Oh, great.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Does running too many spacers apply too much leverage to the steerer tube? I remember a Reba I had came with a warning not to use more than 30mm or 50mm of spacers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i run 750mm flat bars 50mm stem and no spacers works good for me.

mtbr member
    Dunno, but I'm probably going to get another Syncros AM or FR stem. I liked my old one pretty good.
    "It looks flexy"

TCB
    mtbr member
    This setup works for me with an Anglest Headset.(sorry for the bad quality iPhone photo)

"No matter where you go there you are" BUCKAROO BANZAI

mtbr member
    Dunno, but I'm probably going to get another Syncros AM or FR stem. I liked my old one pretty good.
    I run the Syncros AM stem on my Firebird!

I also like the Pro Koryak stems and have one on my Mach 5.

mtbr member
    Well, I ended up ordering an Easton Havoc since Jenson has them for $29. I don't think they shipped it yet so since I'm in LA this week I might see how far away they are from where I'm visiting and pick one up in person.... unless something more shiny catches my eye

Nice looking setup with the Angleset TCB. Are they out now or do you have 'special access'? Nice Avatar!
    "It looks flexy"

TCB
    mtbr member
    Well, I ended up ordering an Easton Havoc since Jenson has them for $29. I don't think they shipped it yet so since I'm in LA this week I might see how far away they are from where I'm visiting and pick one up in person.... unless something more shiny catches my eye

Nice looking setup with the Angleset TCB. Are they out now or do you have 'special access'? Nice Avatar!
    I ordered the Angleset last month and they are just now shipping, I slackened the HA from 67.20 to 66.20 with the +1 degree eccentric cup, the kit come with a 0.5, 1.0 and 1.5 Degree cups.
    "No matter where you go there you are" BUCKAROO BANZAI