mtbr member
    May 2004

Front Derailleur on Mach 4

Hi All,

I just picked up my new 2013 mach 4 frame and trying to install the front derailleur. I searched through the Pivot threads and folks are saying to just bolt the derailleur to the frame without any spacers. If I do this... the front derailleur cage hits the rear tire. Is that normal or does the limit screws prevent this from happening? I havent installed the cable for the front derailleur yet. Just wanted to make sure I dont need any special spacer. My front derailleur is XTR M970E. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Or am I not suppose to screw the left screw/bolt all the way down? And that left screw/bolt is to fine tune the angle of the cage...

Pivotal figure
    You do want both of the screws completely tight, there's no angle adjustment on that der. I've never had one hit the rear tire even before adjusting the limit screws. Did your der. come with the BB mount bracket and did you remove all of that hardware? You just want the bare der. body when you bolt it to the frame... Pictures are great too. Hope this helps, otherwise just give us a call.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hi Kenbentit,

Thanks for the reply!

Here are some pictures. its actually really hard to take a picture at that angle. Hopefully you can make it out. The bike is upside down. My derailleur came without the bb mount. Am I suppose to take the silver part off too?

Front Derailleur on Mach 4-p1000142.jpgFront Derailleur on Mach 4-p1000148.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Okay looks like if I pop off that silver looking part and push the derailleur with a little bit more pressure than I did initially... it goes flush with the frame without hitting the tire. My derail came with the silver looking part attached so I figured that it suppose to be on there and it was pretty hard to pop off initially. Thanks for the help!

Yep I know my bb is not pressed all the way in .
    Last edited by 2002NRS; 05-24-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Pivotal figure
    Yep! You got it figured out. That silver piece is what you'd use to attach the BB mounting bracket. I kinda figured it might be the culprit
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude