mtbr member

Fox 36 Settings for Mach 6?

I just picked up a Fox 36 160mm for my Mach 6. Anyone have fork settings that they're happy with? Hopefully save me a little bit of fiddle time. TIA

FWIW I ride typical SoCal stuff. I'm 185 lbs on a Large.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

I think 70 psi would be a good start. Use the o ring to set your sag to about 30 percent with the CTD valve in descend mode. For rebound put your bike perpendicular against your garage wall or a curb and push down on the bars hard and fast. If the wheel "hops" slow the rebound down until you get good fork return without hopping. Starting in the middle of the click range seems to be a good starting point.

mtbr member

For anyone else just getting started on the Fox 36 I'm starting at 75 psi = 20% sag, +18 LSC, +5 HSC, + 8 R. We'll see where I end up after a few rides.

Free your heel...
    I fiddled around with my 36 for a few weeks never happy with the fork, it was riding harsh and seemed to use only half travel. I followed the Fox set up guide and now the fork works great. The key for me was to let all of the air out of the fork and equalize the pressure between the positive and negative spring by cycling the fork as I was pressuring the fork.

36 | FOX

I'm 215 pounds on a large frame and 84 pounds feels just right for me, and all the rebound and compression settings feel great.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Apparently I've been misled by (some people on) the internet for years.

I'm going with the factory settings and start messing with compression from there.
    Last edited by richde; 12-05-2014 at 08:44 PM.

mtbr member

Got mine earlier. Unfortunately i can ride till monday to try it out but will gonna go with the settings that fox suggest and tweak it from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

In my knob tweaking I've tried max HSC/LSC and min HSC/LSC and I didn't feel a huge difference. Rebound past halfway gets to be too much though. I've started over at the Fox factory recommendations and will try this for a couple rides.

I may end up putting the Pike back on and sell the Fox. I'm not blown away by the 36 and would rather spend the money on a dropper. My Kronolog is crapping out for the fourth time.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    My fork had some pressure inside the lower that was throwing everything off, a ziptie down inside of the seals after the fork was inflated got rid of it. After burping, it went from just below 70psi giving me 32mm of preload to 28mm at 75psi. (I weigh 190 clothed, no pack) Needless to say the lower pressure caused way too much travel to be used.

After riding Sunday on the factory settings, I think it feels and works about right. Might need another click of low-speed, but I'll have to ride a couple different places to be sure.

mtbr member

Man this fork is awesome! Totally better than the 34. I dialed the recommended factory settings but added 2clicks on the lsc for the climbs and dialed it back down 2 clicks on the descent. Totally worth the money. We went to san juan trail here in socal the 11mile dh was hella fun. Last time with my 34, my arms and hands were about to fall off mid run.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal-Rider View Post
    I just picked up a Fox 36 160mm for my Mach 6. Anyone have fork settings that they're happy with? Hopefully save me a little bit of fiddle time. TIA

FWIW I ride typical SoCal stuff. I'm 185 lbs on a Large.
    So did you fiddle with your fork yet? Im going to do gmr this sat and im going to play around a bit more since its a shutlle run. Im 210 all geared up And running the fox recommended settings as a base.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    How much better than the 34?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leethal View Post
    I'd really like to know same from those who have ridden both.
    Not so much the suspension but the stiffness and how noticeable it is, even for lighter (I'm 150 pounds geared) riders.
    Ibis HDR 650B

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Daxdagr8t View Post
    So did you fiddle with your fork yet? Im going to do gmr this sat and im going to play around a bit more since its a shutlle run. Im 210 all geared up And running the fox recommended settings as a base.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I thought I'd replied to this one. I guess not.

I gave up on the Fox 36 and went back to the Pike. The Pike just fits my riding style better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    SoCal - can you elaborate any on why you prefer the pike to the 36? What is it about your riding style that makes you prefer the Pike?

I like the set it and forget it features of the Pike and prefer not to fiddle with and fine tune my suspension, so I think I would like the Pike. But at the same time, I come across a lot of rock gardens that would benefit from a stiff fork with the ability to stay stable through rock garden chatter.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Leethal View Post
    Its stiffer no doubt and the ability to change the lsc,hsc and rebound is a plus. Even with the fox recommended tune its very good. Just set the sag right and you are good to go.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by wesmeyer11 View Post
    SoCal - can you elaborate any on why you prefer the pike to the 36? What is it about your riding style that makes you prefer the Pike?

I like the set it and forget it features of the Pike and prefer not to fiddle with and fine tune my suspension, so I think I would like the Pike. But at the same time, I come across a lot of rock gardens that would benefit from a stiff fork with the ability to stay stable through rock garden chatter.
    I could never get the 36 to feel as plush as the Pike. I fiddled with the 36 for a while and finally gave up. I had my original Pike still and sold the 36 for what I bought it for, so I had the luxury of picking the one I liked best. Winner = Pike.

My Pike 150mm advantages: Suspension feel of the Pike on what I ride was smoother than the Fox. 150mm climbs better than 160mm. At 160mm the front wanted to wander a bit on the steeper stuff. Fox front axle is not QR and it was annoying to pull off the wheel when you're used to the ease of QR. Pike is lighter. Pike has a lockout for standing and climbing fireroads.

If I was always riding at 100%, doing jumps, racing, and/or needed a 20mm axle, I could see the Fox 36 on my bike still. But that's not me. My riding spans from cruising with the wife to bombing chunk with my fast friends. The Pike just does it all well.

I have no issue with the Pike in rock gardens or high speed chatter. It eats that stuff up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Cool, thank you for that feedback. Exactly that I am looking for!

dirt surfer
    May 2015
    Had a month on the 36 and here's what I got so far-
    195-200 weight with gear
    68 psi
    5 clicks in from all the way out on rebound
    4 clicks in from all the way out on hsc
    4 clicks out from all the way in on lsc

mtbr member
    May 2013
    210 ungeared, 65-68 lbs.

2 from open on LS