mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Firebird with XX1 / X01 - has anyone got any experience with it?

Hi,

has anyone have experience with using srams new drivetrain on longer travel bikes? I've built my Firebird a bit on the rougher side (Coil shock, 180mm van fork) for bike park days and I mostly ride enduro style riding otherwise. But outside bike parks I need to pedal those uphills and really could need a shorter gear for those long days.

I'm just not sure how suited XX1 (or possible the to be released X01) would work on that application. It feels more "trailish" groupset with lighter execution, but i would really like wider gear range with only single ring at front. But how good is the durability and how much will it take beating?

I currently use 1x10 transmission (Saint) and I really don't want to go back using 2 rings in the front, and that's the reason why srams new offerings are tempting.

Pivotal figure
    Haven't gotten any experience with it specifically on a 'Bird but the group's durability appears to be on par with the standard groups and the chainrings are even tougher (they're nice and thick). Of course that rear der is a pricey piece to risk smashing into stuff on a fast descent but that's a risk we always take, even on XC bikes. I haven't seen pricing yet on the XO1 stuff but it will be at least a bit less painful if you destroy one of those. If you haven't ridden the XX1 setup yet it will kinda ruin you for anything else. Super fast and smooth shifting with a very useable range of gears. I'm very curious to see what Shimano responds with....
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauri View Post
    Hi,

has anyone have experience with using srams new drivetrain on longer travel bikes? I've built my Firebird a bit on the rougher side (Coil shock, 180mm van fork) for bike park days and I mostly ride enduro style riding otherwise. But outside bike parks I need to pedal those uphills and really could need a shorter gear for those long days.

I'm just not sure how suited XX1 (or possible the to be released X01) would work on that application. It feels more "trailish" groupset with lighter execution, but i would really like wider gear range with only single ring at front. But how good is the durability and how much will it take beating?

I currently use 1x10 transmission (Saint) and I really don't want to go back using 2 rings in the front, and that's the reason why srams new offerings are tempting.
    Hey there, I'm interested in doing the same but will stick with my cranks and use a wolf chain ring. This could be an idea for you as you'll keep the super strong cranks you already have. Good luck and post pics!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I'm planning to upgrade just the cassette, derailleur, trigger and chain. I'm planning to keep my current cranks, because I will be using a chain guide + bash anyways. I don't know if i need to upgrade my front chain ring, since I'm using a guide anyways. I could always get the Race Face narrow - wide chain ring, but I haven't decided on that. I might just go with my current e13 ring.

I've also been waiting the Shimanos response to this, but they have been quite silent. I haven't yet pulled the trigger with XX1, it's just so expensive that i'm still on the fence about the decision. But i guess you're right about that it's just as strong as any other groupset out there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Well, I pulled the trigger and went ahead with the XX1. I wanted to wait out for the X01, but my drive train basically died on me, so to keep riding I needed to fix it (freehub, cassette, chain and derailleur all gone). I kept my Saint cranks, but since my guidering was quite worn I decided to try out the new Race Face narrow wide -chainring. It was about the same price as the e13 guiderings were at my LBS.

So far I'm a happy camper. Wider gear ratio with single ring up front was what I was after for and this setup delivers just that. With 32-42 combo I can now climb steeper stuff for longer. Not that the hills are that long here anyways, but it's a nice plus for those long days. Shifts from smaller cog to bigger seem super fast, but i miss the double click of the Saint trigger when shifting to smaller cogs. Other than that, I can't complain. Durability wise only time will tell, but if the rear derailleur lasts more than 3 months, it will outdo the Saint. But for those long days when you need to pedal all day (not lift assisted) this set seems really good so far.

mtbr member
    I put a wolftooth 30t on about 2 months ago and couldnt be happier with the results. Great gear ratio for me and took off some weight too, although I added it back on with a dropper post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Firebird with XX1 / X01 - has anyone got any experience with it?-img_20130603_200145_322.jpg  

Firebird with XX1 / X01 - has anyone got any experience with it?-img_20130724_115457_629.jpg