mtbr member

Firebird Upgrades

Since there seems to be no other bike that equals the Firebird I have decided to make some upgrades next season.
    First
    2 x 10 SRAM XO. thinking 26/39 with 11/36 cassette.
    One question though. Are the XO double ring cranks compatible with any bash guards?

Second.
    180 Float. 1 1/8 steerer with zero stack to keep the front as low as possible. Worst case, if it sucks for climbing I'll shim it to 170. No Talas for me.

This should make it a little more Resort friendly without loosing too much trail ability.
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You need to buy the 3x10 cranks and remove the outer ring. The 3x10s are standard 104/64 BCD whereas the 2x10s are 120/80. Have heard that SRAM is planning to release a future 24-36 primarily for the 29er market and the spider would allow a future ring change. Stuck at 22-33 for now though.

Pivotal figure
    Why no TALAS?
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    Why no TALAS?

I just don't trust any travel adjust. Plus the solo airs/floats always have a better feel. Less stiction.
    I read that you really like yours and you never know. I just like the simplicity of the Float.
    Plus it's a touch lighter.

Any recommendations on a good zero stack?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toHELLuRIDE
    I just don't trust any travel adjust. Plus the solo airs/floats always have a better feel. Less stiction.
    I read that you really like yours and you never know. I just like the simplicity of the Float.
    Plus it's a touch lighter.

Any recommendations on a good zero stack?
    Yeah, the Cane Creek XXc Flush II I think it's called? That's what I'm getting. AndyD is running one and likes it and I think the stack height is 3mm.

Here is what I received the other day, waiting for the headset and trying to figure out what stem to run....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Firebird Upgrades-float180.jpg  

"It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Yeah, the Cane Creek XXc Flush II I think it's called? That's what I'm getting. AndyD is running one and likes it and I think the stack height is 3mm.

Here is what I received the other day, waiting for the headset and trying to figure out what stem to run....

180?

mtbr member
    180?
    Yeah baby!!!
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Yeah baby!!!

Nice. Don't forget to provide a complete ride report.

dog
    sit! stay!
    i gotta get a new fork... my 36 float 160 is getting a little ragged...

i agree with tohelluride about the talas...

so is the 180 the way to go at this point?
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Yes and make sure to get the 1.125 straight steer tube so you can go with the angleset or a low stack headset. The taper steers only allow for a tall headset.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    I wonder if there is a market for my 2009 160 Fit Float with 1.5 steerer.

180 BABEEEEE

p.s. Cane creek has a zero stack 110. boyahh

mtbr member
    I wonder if there is a market for my 2009 160 Fit Float with 1.5 steerer.

180 BABEEEEE

p.s. Cane creek has a zero stack 110. boyahh
    Unfortunately "zero stack" is the term for ANOTHER headset standard that isn't 1.5.... If you can find some e13 cups (I saw some on the 'net the other day for the same reason, I think on Cambria), you can put IS headsets into those... but by that time you might as well buy the one I was talking about.

Cambria Link: http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=80773

I can't see why you can't sell the 36. The selling point I'll use is that it has an RC2 cartridge and you can't get those on the 160 Floats any more.
    "It looks flexy"

Pivotal figure
    The new Float's have an improved feel, even with the TALAS. I've had no issues with the adjust at all, having only 2 settings really simplifies things (makes steep climbs a lot easier too).

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    The new Float's have an improved feel, even with the TALAS. I've had no issues with the adjust at all, having only 2 settings really simplifies things (makes steep climbs a lot easier too).
    Not to derail the thread but how are you liking that TALAS? I'm looking to replace the 66 on my Delirium and that's the top contender. What other forks have you owned that you can compare it to? I'm kind of concerned about going to air from coil.

dog
    sit! stay!
    so is going to the 180 a geometry improvement or just a travel improvement?

im asking 'cause my riding orientation is XC with the ability to enjoy the other fun stuff as opposed to a park rider who wants to go uphill for instance... sorry for the thread jacking
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

Pivotal figure
    Dog & woodyak; The 180 mm fork really slackens the HA which is cool for descents but it's slower thru turns. I just compensate by adjusting my riding position a bit. The extra travel is also a good thing. Since the fork got broken in completely it's been unreal. Still not quite as sensitive as coil but they're getting closer. The best thing is that the front and rear suspension match up more closely. I think if you're running the RC4 then a Van would be the way to go.

mtbr member
    If you run the 3mm stack headset we've been talking about, the geometry is the same as running a 170mm fork with a "regular" headset. I've been running a 170 travel fork for a while and loving it.
    "It looks flexy"

MC MasterShake
    Hmmm? I'm currently running a 2010 66 which is quite plush but it has a creaky crown and I think it's a bit oversprung for me since I weigh 150 lbs. I wanted to save some weight and get something that's at least pretty close to the 66. Sounds like it'll work for me.

btw,
    My bud's FB runs great with a 180mm Totem. It actually feels like it could be slacker to me

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    Hmmm? I'm currently running a 2010 66 which is quite plush but it has a creaky crown and I think it's a bit oversprung for me since I weigh 150 lbs. I wanted to save some weight and get something that's at least pretty close to the 66. Sounds like it'll work for me.

btw,
    My bud's FB runs great with a 180mm Totem. It actually feels like it could be slacker to me
    Totem coils (if that's what he's running) are 1/2" shorter a2c than the 66 and 3/8" shorter than the Totem air.