Proud Thunderchicken ownr

New question here. Firebird stripped bolt conundrum

On the weekend, I was about to head out for a ride so I did my usual pre-ride suspension bolt torque checking (some have a tendency to back-off) and I found one rocker (lower) bolt loose.
    I took it out, cleaned the threads (all appeared good), put a drop of blue locktite and screwed it back in. Problem time.
    The bolt kept turning and never got tight. Balls.

We were in a rush to go out, so I grabbed the old faithful Green Goat back up (which turns out had even more issues but I rode through). On our way out to the trail, I call my LBS and ask if they've got all sorts of helicoils so I could repair it. They claimed to have various sizes so I'm feeling good. Fast forward to 2 days later and I've got time to look at it.

I grab my Allen and give it an unthread ... spin spin spin spin. No lateral movement, just keeps spinning in the frame. Balls.
    I get the pliers out to try to pull and turn. No dice.
    I get the vice grips and really give it a good turn and pull. No dice.

Before I get too far depressed, are there any suggestions from mechanics? My bike storage is so full at the moment (because backup bike is there) I can't really get into the gritty of it and my LBS is so backed up because of the gorgeous weather it'll be away for 1-1/2 weeks.
    - Can I remove the side bolt and give it a gentle nudge through the hole (if it is clean through)?
    - Any suggestions to pop that sucker out? I'm figuring the back threads are shot and the front one is there but the shoulder on the bolt won't allow it to catch.
    - Since it is not coming out, would some gentle rides damage the frame/rocker?
    - Will Pivot comp me a new frame?

On the plus side, my wife's Firebird is running better than ever! But I'm stuck struggling my DH bike around unless I fix up the Green Goat.
    Common sense is not so common - Voltaire
    Never underestimate your own ignorance - Me

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Firebird stripped bolt conundrum

Which bolt, can you show it in a pic?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, the lowest one in the rocker arm, which has sort of a conical shape, can you get something thin and flat under it, like a thin paint scraper or putty knife, to supply upward pressure while you rotate ccw?

Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    Which bolt, can you show it in a pic?
    Ignore the RC4 mounted to the carbon rocker, this is an old photo and I was just seeing if it would fit.

Firebird stripped bolt conundrum-p1030002.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    If it's the one I'm thinking of, the lowest one in the rocker arm, which has sort of a conical shape, can you get something thin and flat under it, like a thin paint scraper or putty knife, to supply upward pressure while you rotate ccw?
    You are correct as to which bolt it is. I was hunting for a thin pry lever but couldn't find one in my shop (a 6'x8' storage unit in my condo) but just now I remember where one is ...

I just hope that once it is removed, there is enough meat left on the frame to tap in a helicoil. I'd hate to have to get creative and drill it all the way through and use a thru-bolt.

Pivotal figure
    If you remove the opposite side's bolt you'll be able to push on that one thru the inside (may have to clean out any excess loctite in there first). Or you can try wedging something thin under the head, maybe a putty knife or similar. There's usually enough material for a helical IF the threaded portion hasn't been deformed. I've seen then get ovalized from riding with the bolt loose and that can complicate things....
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Thanks Ken!

I'd considered my situation complicated .. as usual.
    Extracted the bolt using a punch and impact ratchet.

I ordered in a M8x1.25 x 80mm (and a 120mm just in case) helicoil and am going to take it over to friend who is a machinist to drill for me. I'm pretty sure this has to be balls on straight so I don't want to take chances with me just eyeballing it.

I really hope it doesn't get to Plan C; grind down frame and weld a nut to it.

650b me

There is life after stripping

Here's a photo of my helicoil-ed Mach 4. I was using a quality torque wrench at the time, but still managed to strip the threads in the frame. This was over the winter during the non-riding season. So far, it's holding up just fine.

Attachment 889469

Good luck!

Pivotal figure
    The straighter the better! I have a jig to mount the frame on the mill so it's dead straight and centered, you just use the other side's threads to attach the frame (which is most likely what your machinist friend will end up doing). PlanC should never even come into play! At the very worst you could drill out the threads and use a thru bolt before resorting to welding....
    Quote Originally Posted by btibben View Post
    Thanks Ken!

I'd considered my situation complicated .. as usual.
    Extracted the bolt using a punch and impact ratchet.

I ordered in a M8x1.25 x 80mm (and a 120mm just in case) helicoil and am going to take it over to friend who is a machinist to drill for me. I'm pretty sure this has to be balls on straight so I don't want to take chances with me just eyeballing it.

I really hope it doesn't get to Plan C; grind down frame and weld a nut to it.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Wink Step 1,2 Complete

Secured frame in lathe.
    Leveled all sides and verified with guide pin.
    Drilled clean through.
    Tapped holes (using lathe) from each side as the tap was just a hair too short to run clean through.
    Cranked in some 14mm heli-coils.

Feeling pretty ok now, less sick to my stomach.

Many thanks to my buddy Gary and his dad and his dad's random collections of spare parts.

Hope Update

Bolted rear triangle on with no shock. Everything cycles so smooth.
    Committed to re-build and re-assembled everything.
    Cycled with shock installed and no air, smoooooooooothhhh.

I will have to do a few rides once the rains go away before I can give it the final ok.

Video

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Firebird stripped bolt conundrum

Nice fix! I hope I never have to deal with that. With the exception of a threaded bb, any threaded hole in a frame has a date with death. I wish designers would find ways to make it a thru bolt every time, although I know that's not always possible.

I may be through-bolting it yet. I've got a mystery creak somewhere and I'm betting it is link.
    Any way I look at it, it is going to be an expensive year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Mine did the same thing. LBS helicoiled it, has held for a year until i tried to remove the bolt for a strip down and the helicoil came out. easy to fix though.

Just keep an eye on it and you should be fine.
    ive ridden the **** out of mine and its held.

I also stripped the dérailleur hanger thread lasted month. i fixed it with a chain ring bolt by drilling the hole out to 10mm. Personally i think this is a far better system than a threaded frame.