mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Firebird-specific MRP LRP Installed

Installed the Firebird-specific MRP LRP yesterday. Went on easily, and there is zero chain slap.

Bodhinaz, you just have to get yours through your local Pivot-carrying LBS. Sports Garage in Boulder ordered mine, and less than a week later it was here -- Pivot has them in stock.

I'm running it single-ring right now, but it works great and I can't tell it's there -- unlike some of the E13 setups I've used.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Firebird-specific MRP LRP Installed-lrp.jpg  

Pivotal figure
    WooHoo! XTR, Twenty6 and MRP (you even got the lightweight bash!)
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    What does the rest of the bike look like? I can see an air shock... maybe small block 8's or???
    "It looks flexy"

jddist
    May 2008
    I assume that the original plastic piece/spacer bolted to the ISCG05 tabs should be removed prior to installation. Is that correct, or should the guide be mounted on top of it. Thanks.

Pivotal figure
    The guide takes the place of the plastic plate so it needs to be removed prior to installation.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

jddist
    May 2008
    That is what I though, but just wanted to check. Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    May I ask how much you paid for that? Can you comment on its quietness in relation to other guides? I've got a stinger on there right now, my first guide, and it's sorta loud, but I have nothing to compare it to.

jddist
    May 2008
    I can't imagine it is any quieter than the stinger since it is exactly the same, just with some areas milled out to make room for the dir bracket. I have a stinger on mine and it works great. Made it dead quiet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Half_man_half_scab, I paid $130 for the LRP. I don't know what the $25 premium is about over the normal LRP, but whatever. Not the first time I spent too much on something. Honestly, you could run a Stinger and any bash and get about the same thing.

I've only used E13 guides before -- and that was a while ago -- but this one has been completely quiet. Same price as a LG1+ if you run a single ring, so who the hell knows. I never used the DRS, so for a dual-ring setup that might be comparable for less.

Gticlay, normal medium rootbeer with Crossmax SX's, the '09 160mm Float RC2 and RP23HV. I've run High Rollers for years, but recently tried a SB8 in the rear and a Slant 6 up front, and they work better than expected for such little tread.

mtbr member
    Are you guys that are using Stingers, running single or double rings up front?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangtime View Post
    Double. If you are running single you need at least a 1x or xcx (probably bb mount), but better would be a full on chain guide.
    "It looks flexy"

jddist
    May 2008
    Double here also.

Proud Thunderchicken ownr
    Double
    Common sense is not so common - Voltaire
    Never underestimate your own ignorance - Me

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It seems that its price has gone up quite a bit. I just checked with my LBS, and they said it's $200 + tax. I know generic version of LRP is selling at $120 at JensonUSA. Thinking to get Stingers instead!

ZEN RIDER!
    damn!
    did a quick google and you can find it for half of what your lbs told you.
    Last edited by Mt.Biker E; 02-07-2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: researched info
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    But those going around $100 are generic versions. Thinking to a generic one then get tools to grind it down with that extra $100.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I used to have a bb mounted stinger. I recently removed it and added a clutch derailleur, and never drop chains in Sedona and West Slope riding (2x10 setup). I'm going to go 1x10 with the e13 taco guide setup minus the roller to quiet it down even further.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    I used to have a bb mounted stinger. I recently removed it and added a clutch derailleur, and never drop chains in Sedona and West Slope riding (2x10 setup). I'm going to go 1x10 with the e13 taco guide setup minus the roller to quiet it down even further.
    Maybe better to invest that amount money to get clutch derailleurs.

ZEN RIDER!
    What do you mean by generic? Going to call my buddies shop in the am and get msrp and actual retail.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt.Biker E View Post
    What do you mean by generic? Going to call my buddies shop in the am and get msrp and actual retail.
    I meant to say non-Firebird-specific LRP.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I just talked with a guy at Pivot, and he said it's still $120. I think a guy at my LBS made a mistake in getting the price. Will try to reach my LBS again today!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cageman View Post
    I just talked with a guy at Pivot, and he said it's still $120. I think a guy at my LBS made a mistake in getting the price. Will try to reach my LBS again today!
    It seems there were miscommunication between LBS and Pivot. LBS confirmed it's $120.