mtbr member

Firebird rocker arm bolts?

Does anyone know if the gold rocker arm bolts, that connect the rocker arm to the rear triangle, have changed in thread pitch at any stage due to the updated carbon rocker arm and bearings? Or has the internal thread in the bearing shanged slightly?

I went from the original carbon rocker to the aluminium rocker with no problems. I've just fitted the updated carbon rocker and Manitou ISX-6 rear shock and found these bolts didn't want to go into the new bearing threads all that easily. I cleaned out the loctite that was in the internal thread of the bearing before installing so they wouldn't get stuck in it but after installing them and removing them again to have a look it looks like the internal thread of the bearings iss slightly different pitch. Maybe M8x1 to M8x1.25? I'm going to order new bolts just to be on the safe side. And yes, they were definitely lined up properly and went in straight.

Pivotal figure
    The newer rockers have the second generation bearing which allow use of an open end 10mm wrench to torque them (vs the original style with the chainring bolt style head). The thread pitch on these new bearings is different from the Gold anodized bolts and the new bolts are stainless (same as the frame mount).
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Thanks for that kenbentit. I would have thought that new bolts would have come with the new carbon rocker arm then?

So I've obviously stuff the gold bolts. I'm hoping I haven't done any damage to the bearing thread but the alooy bolt is pretty soft so I don't think so. I'll pull them out now and Have a look.

Pivotal figure
    We try to make sure to include the correct bolts with the new bearings. Check the bearings to see that they are in fact the new style (there won't be any slot like a chainring bolt and the inner section is raised to allow use of a 10 mm open end wrench). While were converting over to the new rockers there were still some bikes with the gold hardware so you may have one of those (new rocker, original style bearings).

mtbr member
    They are defintiely the new style bearings, which are much easier to tighten! I did have to send the old rocker arm back, with the bearings still pressed in, so I'm a little annoyed that the distributor didn't pick it up for a few reasons, one being that my lbs has only sold the one Firebird, mine.

I bought the bike when they first came out so it had the original carbon rocker arm. Then I was finally able to get an aluminium rocker arm in June 2010 and it used the same bolts. No new bolts were sent with the aluminium rocker so I used the original bolts that came with the frame and orignial carbon rocker arm and it was all good. 6 weeks (mid July, 2010) later I received the updated carbon rocker arm, no new bolts. I've only just swapped the aluminium link for the updated carbon one this morning thinking that I could use all of the old bolts again, only to find that it didn't work out as smoothly as I'd hoped.

Pivotal figure
    We can get you a set of the correct bolts (as well as the new bearings so you can switch rockers more easily). Just contact your LBS or us and we'll get them out to you.

mtbr member
    In the mean time, couldn't he just buy some bolts at the hardware store with the correct pitch?
    "It looks flexy"

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    But he's from the land down under...
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23
    Lol, and that's part of my problem.

Pivot in the US have been excellent whenever I've needed to know something or wanted something.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23
    You betta run, you betta take cova.....
    "It looks flexy"

Pivotal figure
    I'd also check with the Dist. to see if they have the parts. Seems like they stocked up on some of the hardware but I can't remember...

mtbr member
    They express posted a new rocker arm and bolts to the LBS this morning so I've now installed it onto the Firebird and it's all good. I sent them an email to say thanks as well.

Now I just need either the old style bolts to fit the aluminium rocker arm bearings or two new style bearings to fit into the aluminium rocker arm.