mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Firebird - RC4 Mounting - Resivoir up or down?

Hello Guys,

After riding the RP23 for a nearly a season now, and yeah, the mid stroke blows through more than i like, i am ready to mount my 2012 RC4....

i weigh with my gear around 185lbs and have a 400lb spring, so hopefully i will not need a softer/harder spring (fingers crossed) but they are not too much to get another though eh..

ANYWAYS, i am wondering if i should mount the shock with the reservoir so it is at the top position or flip it around and have it mounted low.

Seen photos from others mounted both ways...

I would imagine it would be easier to adjust/control with it mounted at the top, and any rain/mud would not settle on the shock body as if it were mounted so the resivoir is low.

Any thoughts or concerns?

Pivotal figure
    Mount it with the reservoir up and it'll be fine. I'm thinking the #400 spring is gonna be a bit firm for you but it'll be pretty close depending on how much stuff you carry in your pack. I run a #350 on my Phoenix and that's pretty much dead on for me (same body weight). I also run the Boost at 170 psi and 50% volume (2 turns in). The Boost will really change how the bike rides so I recommend experimenting with it to get a feel for where you want your settings. + or -10 psi in the Boost chamber will make a noticeable change so it's important to note how it rides at different settings and adjust accordingly.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I run #500 on the firebird and #450 of the phoenix - 45lb heavier than you guys, it's all muscle *cough*, seems to me it'll be in the ballpark.

With it mounted up - reservoir at top, everything is easy to adjust on bike, never tried it upside down. Lower centre of mass - by the tiniest of margins?

Most importantly let us know how it rides, coil is the best upgrade I have done.