mtbr member

Firebird with a PUSHed Rockshox RT3

I have never been totally satisfied with the Firebird's ride with the Boost Valve RP23. It never felt smooth on the small stuff and I had occasionally bottomed the suspension hard. I like the Van RC better, but was looking to drop some weight.

After chatting with Darren at Push he convinced be to try the RT series. I opted for the RT3 with a low compression setting.

The improvement in ride was considerable compared to the RP23. I weigh in at a riding weight of #230. After my first ride I could say the thing absolutely soaks up the chatter. I was then worried about the big hit stuff. (Big is relative of course.). On subsequent rides it reacted well to square edge stuffand I didn't feel a harsh bottom out on a 4' stair landing to flat.

I don't know if it is the RT3 itself that works better with the suspension or the custom valving for my weight that makes the difference. I can tell you that I am in love with my Firebird.

I like the RT3. When climbing on fireroads, I flip the switch to most damped and it is rock solid. It still opens up when out of the saddle and reminds you that there is 167mm of travel back there, but it doesn't bug me. When I turn the switch to low there is some slight movements under seated loads. Again not enough to bug me. If I were climbing techy stuff the open switch would be perfect.

This is my favorite upgrade I have done.
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    So the 3 positions on the RT adjust the platform vs. the AM where the knob adjusts the LSC or ??

Just finished ironing out my Pushed FloatR and it's pretty fickin' fantastic. Great results the first two rides out with it. What really shines is the rebound tune.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    So the 3 positions on the RT adjust the platform vs. the AM where the knob adjusts the LSC or ??

Just finished ironing out my Pushed FloatR and it's pretty fickin' fantastic. Great results the first two rides out with it. What really shines is the rebound tune.
    That is how I understand it. The full open on mine feels like no platform. Really nice. I believe the AM version has ten clicks of LSC.

I haven't really played with the rebound yet. I will start to work on that a bit, but it felt so good out of the box there really wasn't a need.

Glad to hear you like the Float R.

Now I've got to look into trading out my fork and finding funds for somethin' new. I'm leaning toward a lyrik coil or a VAN
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    So the 3 positions on the RT adjust the platform vs. the AM where the knob adjusts the LSC or ??.
    I was talking with Darren about this the other day as I didn't understand it well. The RT has 3 adjustments for "on the fly" type. They equate to clicks 0, 5 and 10 on the AM where you have 10 clicks of compression adjustment.

So if you like to climb with highest platform then descend with lowest, probably get the RT. If you want to dial it in to a setting for all your riding and like the more settings for compression then go with the AM.

yohyatt
    Mar 2009

From what Jimmy had told me

I believe the main difference in the AM is that there is no platform - its a true low speed compression - where RT3 has a platform - and 3 levels of it.

I asked if he could do this to a fox - take away the platform and add LSC - for better small bump compliance - and the answer was nope...

mtbr member
    Well between Jdub and yohyat, I don't have an answer. I'm thinking that what yohyat said is the most accurate, but Jdub actually asked Darren the specific question. Hmmmmmm.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    I was talking with Darren about this the other day as I didn't understand it well. The RT has 3 adjustments for "on the fly" type. They equate to clicks 0, 5 and 10 on the AM where you have 10 clicks of compression adjustment.

So if you like to climb with highest platform then descend with lowest, probably get the RT. If you want to dial it in to a setting for all your riding and like the more settings for compression then go with the AM.

I am looking in to getting one of these but I am not sure which one best suits me. I have an email in to push for a recommendation but looking at Push's website it looks like

RT3 - 3 position floodgate
    RT - 10 position floodgate
    AM - 10 position compression (no platform)

I am hoping to find out what the difference is between 10 position floodgate and 10 position comp. I kind of though that platform was compression damping, if the AM is a LSC.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by coolatt
    I am looking in to getting one of these but I am not sure which one best suits me. I have an email in to push for a recommendation but looking at Push's website it looks like

RT3 - 3 position floodgate
    RT - 10 position floodgate
    AM - 10 position compression (no platform)

I am hoping to find out what the difference is between 10 position floodgate and 10 position comp. I kind of though that platform was compression damping, if the AM is a LSC.
    To follow up...

I didn't realize there were three versions. Darren and I were discussing the RT and the RT3.

mtbr member
    I think the AM version is made up by PUSH. And I thank them for making a shock like that even though it's a Rock Shox and therefore I cannot own it. (j/k). Now if Fox will just come out with a DHX-RC4-AIR for me, life will be complete.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    To follow up...

I didn't realize there were three versions. Darren and I were discussing the RT and the RT3.
    Yes, that is the answer I got. The RT3 and RT are, 3 position or 10 position of floodgate. I didn't get an explanation of the AM.