mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Firebird MRP Specific Guide

I having an issue and would like some feedback please. When I bought my firebird it came with the floating front shifter removed. I recently installed it but am having issues with the chain riding properly on the chainguide roller. You can see from the pics that the chain isn't going all the way up onto the inside of the roller. What could be causing this? I thought maybe a spacer needed added to set the roller farther outboard but the chain seems to lay perfectly on the rolller when the chain is on the larger chainring. What do you think?
    Firebird MRP Specific Guide-dsc_0691.jpgFirebird MRP Specific Guide-dsc_0694.jpgFirebird MRP Specific Guide-dsc_0673.jpg

Pivotal figure
    I've found it helps to add a spacer behind the wheel but the thickness needed can vary. I normally try a .075" thickness, usually 1 thick and 1 thin washer and see how that works. If you can get ahold of some of the super thin shims that Magura or Hope use on their disc brakes it's easier to dial it in precisely. The fore/aft position of the wheel also affects the smoothness a bit but not as much as the side to side. It's surprising just how little variation in spacing will change the operation. I've had it work smoothly at one spacing then not work with just a .001" spacer added or removed.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks. I'll try to space it out and see what happens. Have you seen a worn chain contribute to the problem?

Pivotal figure
    Not really. It's just a factor of how much side to side angle there is since the chain needs to ride back up the guide wheel. I could see a badly worn chain being a bit more floppy but I don't know that it would be enough to make it not want to move up the wheel. I guess it is possible though....
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I hate this guide. I cut mine up after getting sick of it rubbing on the smaller ring, but now it falls off the big ring if I backpedal since the roller is no longer "pulling" it on. Mine never rode up onto the taller part of the roller, and after seeing how much damage my larger ring was taking and breaking off a tooth I went ahead with the modification.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    I hate this guide. I cut mine up after getting sick of it rubbing on the smaller ring, but now it falls off the big ring if I backpedal since the roller is no longer "pulling" it on. Mine never rode up onto the taller part of the roller, and after seeing how much damage my larger ring was taking and breaking off a tooth I went ahead with the modification.
    Sorry you had issues. I'm not sure how you lost a tooth with the bashring installed?
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    Sorry you had issues. I'm not sure how you lost a tooth with the bashring installed?
    Nevermind the bashring, it happened right where the crank is! Just a crazy situation. The only thing I can think is that the wear on the ring lead to it being weaker, and something got caught in the chain or a misshift.

I'm interested in trying out other designs for 2x10 to see if they are better, because I get the idea this one works, but it takes some tweaking to get it perfect.

Firebird MRP Specific Guide-968771_10200180637428262_837495552_n.jpg
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled