Bike to the Bone...

Firebird or Mach 6

I think that this two bikes are sort of similar, maybe prefering what I've seen of the Mach 6. Is there any overlap? Which bike to choose depending on which criteria?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Went with Mach 6 for Enduros and techy AM which I primarily ride,and am really sold on carbon this will be my third carbon frame and have put an Ibis Mojo SL and my current ride Intense Carbine through it's paces.at first I was a tad apprehensive and very conscious of what I would throw at them but as time went on it became an afterthought and now have complete trust in reliability and nothing rides like carbon!

I do what I want
    Mach6>Firebird FTW

Firebird is a dead duck, its needs an geometry update - the toptube is too short and HA too steep. Mach6 is the future, although I wish it came in Alu also. But personally not concerned, since I will never own a Pivot.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

dog
    sit! stay!
    mmmmm... roasted duck...

I own a firebird and like the it for the geometry Guy.Ford describes... to me it's just fun to ride. But based on an n=1 ride experience, if you are looking for a bike to do what techfersure described I would have to agree on the M6... still, i will wait to see if Pivot does a plastic firebird...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Firebird or Mach 6

Bird is a little longer travel, built burlier, while still maintaining relatively short chain stays vis a vis the acrobatics that the seat tube goes through, and the floating derailleur mount. I haven't seen a weight on the mach 6 frame, but I'd guess .75 to 1lb lighter than the fb. The 27.5 fb frame will probably be $500- $600 cheaper than the mach 6. I have a fb 26 and i love it for heavy rock garden trails and jumps and drops. And yet it still climbs and blah blah all that miracle do it all stuff which we hear about every bike these days. But, by comparison, my 5 inch yeti asr5c seems so harsh by comparison on the same terrain, and my fb would climb just as well if i hadn't built it out to 31 lbs . I'm sure the mach 6 would feel great on the same drops but I'm not sure i would subject such a nice frame to the same abuse.

But, one thing to think about on the fb is that i personally think it deserves a 36 fork (160 or 180) but fox hasn't introduced those yet for 27.5.

Sent from (redacted by nsa)

Bike to the Bone...
    Xfusion vengance is a 170mm travel fork that I think takes 27.5, and the reviews I've seen are very good for it.

mtbr member
    IMO, get the FB for a park bike, big hit rig. Get the Mach 6 for everything else. Yes the FB pedals well, but the Mach 6 pedals better, has a much more updated geo, is gonna handle better, has a lower BB, etc. Also, consider the Mach 6 was designed from the ground up as a 27.5 bike; the FB was tweaked at the HT and rear triangle to handle 27.5.

That said, I would love to see an updated carbon bird with 7 inches of travel. Probably will be a while though, since a long travel 29er, 4 inch 27.5, and new DH rig are higher priorities.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    B
    But, one thing to think about on the fb is that i personally think it deserves a 36 fork (160 or 180) but fox hasn't introduced those yet for 27.5.

Sent from (redacted by nsa)
    Or do what I did. I have a Firebird with a Lyrik RC2DH 170mm fork. I bought a set of 27.5 wheels, and presto, chango, one 27.5 Firebird, with a burly fork.

mtbr member
    Or you can choose Rockshox Pike 160 mm or 170 mm