mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Firebird and Fox Van 180

Good day to you guys!

I have a Firebird and am running the Float 160. I see that the newer birds come with 170 Float and I have seen some pics on this thread with people using different forks.

My question is anyone out there riding the 180 Van and how do you like it on your Firebird? Do you think that would make much of difference on climbs? I am not worried about weight as all I really care about is going down fast. So if I am not the first to the top oh welll, but I still need to climb and was just wondering if the 180 was too much. I was reading the post about using the Phoenix as a all mtn bike and that is pretty interesting....

Anyway I can not afford a Phoenix right now so I will put that thought out of my head and start with a fork!

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

mtbr member
    I think a 180 van would be buttahhhh!!

BUT

My preference would be the Float 180.
    Bad rep!!! That's right SON!!

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

Talas 180?

I might go TALAS 180 unless the 140 is awful on the 'bird...

Probably Float though.

Bob

Stucco Bucket
    Since weight isnt an issue.. TOTEM

Pivotal figure
    One of my friends is running the 180 Van and I'm running the 180 TALAS. The extra length does rake out the front and slows the steering down but I kinda got used to it. The ideal setup would either be the 170mm (it's a 180 with the travel lowered) or 180mm with Angleset to offset the added rake. I really like the TALAS though, especially on steep climbs. Plus that fork is crazy good on the descents.
    BTW; I ran that TALAS on my Phoenix and it felt amazing!
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    One of my friends is running the 180 Van and I'm running the 180 TALAS. The extra length does rake out the front and slows the steering down but I kinda got used to it. The ideal setup would either be the 170mm (it's a 180 with the travel lowered) or 180mm with Angleset to offset the added rake. I really like the TALAS though, especially on steep climbs. Plus that fork is crazy good on the descents.
    BTW; I ran that TALAS on my Phoenix and it felt amazing!
    Do you run it at 140 on Desert Classic?

Bob

mtbr member
    I have a float 180 with a 1.125 steerer and the 3.2mm stack headset so it steers like a 170 with a normal headset... doesn't feel too slack to me and really feels balanced. Van would be nice too but I like the adjustment the air spring offers.
    "It looks flexy"

Pivotal figure
    Bob; I only drop it down to 140 for the really steep stuff like Tom's Thumb or Gila. On faster stuff like DC the 140 setting is just too low, feels like you're hanging over the front of the bike. I even leave it in 180 for climbing National. I'm weird like that,
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Guys, thanks for the help. I was checking through some of the old posts last night as well and that also helped.

I think I am pretty sold on the Van as I am not one who likes to tinker with things. A lot of people have told me that the coil is soooo smooth. It seems like there are two opinions out there on the streight steer tube vs. tapered.

Again thanks for the help. I will post a pic of my baby when I get the fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaneul
    Guys, thanks for the help. I was checking through some of the old posts last night as well and that also helped.

I think I am pretty sold on the Van as I am not one who likes to tinker with things. A lot of people have told me that the coil is soooo smooth. It seems like there are two opinions out there on the streight steer tube vs. tapered.

Again thanks for the help. I will post a pic of my baby when I get the fork.
    I'm somewhat tempted to put the Float on my Nomad and get a VAN on the Fbird too
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have been hearing really good things about the Lyric as well. I have buddy who just got a new carbon Nomad and is running the Lyric and loves it. I also see that someone suggested the Totem. That thing looks pretty sick as well.

I am pretty stoked of Fox so probably sticking there but so many choices to think about...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaneul
    I have been hearing really good things about the Lyric as well. I have buddy who just got a new carbon Nomad and is running the Lyric and loves it. I also see that someone suggested the Totem. That thing looks pretty sick as well.

I am pretty stoked of Fox so probably sticking there but so many choices to think about...
    I have a Lyrik DH on my NomadC right now and it used to by on my Fbird. I like the Fox 36 FIT dampers quite a bit better.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    thanks for the feedback. I have heard that from few other people as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    I have a Lyrik DH on my NomadC right now and it used to by on my Fbird. I like the Fox 36 FIT dampers quite a bit better.
    I had a lyric 170 coil on my bird and umm I don't know about anyone else but that thing rides like poopee. Can you say jackhammer! I'm running a van 180 now and honestly the Fox feels like a significantly better product. It feels better made and it also feels like it has 2 inches more travel than the lyric. It even costs a fair bit less.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jodd
    I had a lyric 170 coil on my bird and umm I don't know about anyone else but that thing rides like poopee. Can you say jackhammer! I'm running a van 180 now and honestly the Fox feels like a significantly better product. It feels better made and it also feels like it has 2 inches more travel than the lyric. It even costs a fair bit less.
    Yeah - unless you are hitting big stuff at highish speed it really doesn't soak up the terrain. Fox is really doing something right with their 2010/2011 dampers.
    "It looks flexy"

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Quote Originally Posted by jodd
    That quite the opposite of what I have experienced. I have a Lyric DH on my Firebird and it is the most supple air fork I have ever ridden outside of a Boxxer WC. Since I built my Firebird a couple of months ago, Iíve been riding a new trail system that full of low embedded rock gardens and I have been blown away with how well the Lyrik plows through them. Iíve bottomed it out several times but never felt it happen. Iíve spent a good amount of time on a 2010 talas 36 and while it was a smooth fork it never got more than 150mm of travel.
    Of course my household is a little RS biased we currently have a Boxxer team, Pike 454, Argyle, Totem air, 2 Reba team 29ers, an F120 and an F29120 in addition to the aforementioned Lyrik.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Guys, thanks again for the help. I wish I could demo the Lyric somehow.... I know Pivot will be here in SD area in March for a demo, and I actually know one of the guys there and he is riding the Van 180. My plan is to ride his bike and then make the call.

From reading through a lot of the previous threads it seems most of the guys in So Cal are riding their birds with at least 170 now. I need to step up...

Thanks again.