mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Firebird enduro wheelset

Looking at replacing my stock E530 rim / DT swiss 350 hub wheelset, mostly for enduro type stuff(future races etc)
    would Stans Arch Ex + hope pro be a decent light/performance wheelset?

Looking to get my bike a tiny bit lighter, starting with the wheels while still maintaining most of it's downhilly-ness.

Pivotal figure
    I don't have any experience with the Arch rims but I've been absolutely abusing my Flows for over 2 years now and they are just unreal. The set I built up with Comp spokes and DT 240 hubs came in right at 1700g.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Proud Thunderchicken ownr
    I just ordered some Flow EX + Hope Pro2 Evo, but my weight goal is sub 40 so I think we are in different categories.

The Arch EX is the same width as the old Flow is it not? Just looked that up, Arch EX are 21mm. Old flow is 22.6mm.
    Common sense is not so common - Voltaire
    Never underestimate your own ignorance - Me

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I was thinking flow EX and Hope pro2 from colorado cyclist, They do sound super burly and tough, but not sure i could get much weight savings vs my current wheelset (E530 rim / DT swiss 350 hub). Hmmm.

mtbr member
    What about Mavic Crossmax SX? I've had great experiences with them. Light weight, UST ready, 21mm internal width.

ZEN RIDER!
    As much as I like the hope2 hubs & dt rims I am going back to Mavic Crossmax SX.
    They are bullet proof and take a pounding with little maintenance.
    After going back to a traditional spoke I forget how often you have to true the wheel and replace spokes. My last set of Mavics lasted 6 yrs of hard abuse and it was only in the last year or so that I really had to do any sort of work on them and that was mostly due to metal fatigue.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by randomroot View Post
    I was thinking flow EX and Hope pro2 from colorado cyclist, They do sound super burly and tough, but not sure i could get much weight savings vs my current wheelset (E530 rim / DT swiss 350 hub). Hmmm.
    Me thinks you'll be *very* happy with the Flow Ex's. I'm a DT 240 fan when it comes to hubs, as they require very little maintenance and handle all conditions (mine needed nothing more than some grease after 12 months of AM/Enduro riding and racing throughout Oregon and Washington). If you are looking to have lighter wheels, you may want to consider them (~200 gram difference between the Hopes and the 240's). Just be sure to upgrade to the 36 Star Ratchet.

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    If you can get by on Arches you probably don't need a Firebird. If the 90 grams a wheel are that important to you for the arches/flow difference your money would be best spent on a shorter travel lighter weight frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If price is no concern, the new Syntace W35 MX are pretty sweet.

I've been riding on King hubs and Flow rims, love the instant engagement on the king hubs. The syntace hub seems to have a nice mechanism.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have some dt 240s on my tallboy and really happy with those, I'll look into the Flow Ex DT 240s as well, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JMW503 View Post
    Me thinks you'll be *very* happy with the Flow Ex's. I'm a DT 240 fan when it comes to hubs, as they require very little maintenance and handle all conditions (mine needed nothing more than some grease after 12 months of AM/Enduro riding and racing throughout Oregon and Washington). If you are looking to have lighter wheels, you may want to consider them (~200 gram difference between the Hopes and the 240's). Just be sure to upgrade to the 36 Star Ratchet.

mtbr member
    I wish there were more reviews of the Syntace wheels, I'm curious if the rims are as tough as the flows. I have the arches just on my trail bike & I have still been able to easily flatspot & get them out of true.