mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Firebird check your bolts

My 09 firebird

After every ride I clean and check for any pay in the rear end and headset.
    I lifted the bike by the saddle and felt some play.

I Then checked the bolts where the rocker is bolted on to the frame (The gold ones) and noticed they had come loose. when I tried to tighten them up they just spun.

After removing and inspecting the bolts I noticed the thread was damaged and so was the thread in the frame.
    What alarmed me the most was only about 4-5mm of the bolt actually went into the frame surly this has to be under engineered on a bike of this kind.

The whole shock pivoting on a ali bolt that only screws into a ali frame by 4-5mm is destine to fail and stuff the frame in the process.

My local pivot shop fitted a new rear triangle on it about 6 months ago and im not sure if they used loctite on it or not its hard to prove, but i would imagine (hope) they would have

The bike was bought brand new last year so has only had a years use the only way to fix it is to heli tap the frame and that voids the warranty.
    Im not sure if they have changed the bolt length on newer models but if they haven't and the bolts do come loose or develop play you may be up for a new front triangle.

Mines in the local pivot shop now hopefully they can fix it.

I Love the bird but things like this really pee me off.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?
    Last edited by gazza007; 08-24-2012 at 05:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I haven't noticed any problem on mine.
    but there is a solution for stripped threads
    try google for "helicoil"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Helicoil that's what the guy in the shop said. He said it should be stronger than the original. I hope so!!!!!!

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    In 2010 we changed to Stainless Steel Bolts. Your dealer should be able to order new ones for your frame. Check with them, or call the Pivot Offices. We are happy to help!
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    In 2010 we changed to Stainless Steel Bolts. Your dealer should be able to order new ones for your frame. Check with them, or call the Pivot Offices. We are happy to help!
    Hi Dan would it be best to helicoil the frame as the thread in the frame appears to be stripped.
    Will this void the warranty?
    Are the new bolts longer with a different thread gauge
    Thanks I appreciate the help

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    A Helicoil is actually stronger than the alloy threads. So, as long as the helicoil is installed correctly, then it will not void the warranty. This is a common fix from all manufacturers when a bolt thread is ruined. I'm not sure how long the alloy bolts were - you can always call the office. Ask for Brien, Travis or Todd.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks Dan that's awesome news about warranty
    Im in oz so will call the shop tomorrow and find out their plans regarding bolts, then get in contact with you guys if needed

Once again thanks