mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Firebird and Cable Rub

Have a less than a month old Firebird in the garage here. I've ridden it less than 20 hours thus far. I'm noticing cable rub occurring along the top of the carbon rocker where the cables are zip tied. Also on the top pivots of the seat stays, and along the length of the right seat stay. I've tried various taping procedures, but they just fall off. I was wondering what other people have come up with or if they even have this issue, particularly on the carbon rocker. These seem like difficult areas to protect given their rounded nature. Is your housing going over the top of the rocker, the side, or somewhere in between? The housing seems to be of the correct length, but I've attached an image so you can judge.

I have to say that the ano really needs babying. Even after the first ride it was gone on the usual head tube areas.

Functionally, I'm very happy, I'm doing things I've never attempted before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Firebird and Cable Rub-dscn2305.jpg  

dog
    sit! stay!
    i admit that this idea is, at least in part, stolen from Kenbentit... He has this thick metalic and plastic tape stuff the he puts on the rocker etc... not sure what it is or where he got it, but it worked well on mine... to replace it, i tried adding a few layers of that actual metal duct tape... as opposed to regular kind of duct tape, that is... i cut it out and used several layers to get a little more thickness out of it... seems to be working and does not seem to want to come off so far...

another trick is to wrap your cables/hydraulic lines with a few wraps of electrician's tape where you tie it down with the zip ties... preserves the cables/lines as well as the frame...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Pre-cut velcro patches from the fabric store. They will wipe away abrasive particles from the housing as it moves as well as protect the frame.