Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Firebird builds, weights and recommendations please.........

Hello awaiting the arrival of a large firebird frame and was looking for some inspiration so pictures would be great, recomendations on builds with weights, plus recommendations should i go 1 x 10 or 2 x 10 or stick 3 x 9? What headset? What front mech? Will 160 Fox talas 09 be a good start or should i go for an alternative given the deals on 1.5/tapered forks??

All help, advice and inspriation welcome

crash and burn at 45
    2x10 is my preference with a bash guard. A wide ass bar (sixc race face), a giant fat front tire and tubeless. A talas might be nice. I don't have one, and it climbs everywhere for me here in CO. Sounds like you are pumped
    COMBA fan boy card holder #1.

mtbr member
    Hey HICK,
    You should look through the pictures in the Pivot thread that is sticky'ed at the top. There's some great builds up there. I would go 2x10 with a bash. I'd also go with the Firebird frameset that now comes with a Float 180 shimmed down to 170. I personally don't think the 160 forks are enough travel/axle to crown to ride balanced.

I'm running mine with a Float 180, 1.125 steer and a 3.2mm stack headset. Loving it!
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I also think 2x10 with a dual ring system is the best. I got a stock 2011 XT kit size large with float 170, replaced the wheels with King hubs laced to Flows and it was just shy of 32 pounds. I've since added a Rockshox Reverb, bash, and guide. The float is fine, geometrically. I hate travel adjust forks, personally. Mine came with 3cm worth of spacers underneath the stem. I flipped one to the top, now the fork only pulls up on the steepest of walls.

rfp
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Similar setup as everybody else seems to have. 2x9, king hubs flows and wide bars. Couple of little bit more exotic parts like Renthal stem and Bos deville fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Very excited on arrival of the frame, thanks looked through the thread but the weights intrested me, i am not lookg for a 26 lb lightweight ride but soemthing in the region of 29 to 30.
    RFP how are the deville forks?

mtbr member
    IMO building a Firebird at 29 or 30lbs is a pretty lightweight build. You won't get there using coil anything. My build is pretty darn light with Float front and back, pretty light wheels, tires, carbon post, bars, etc and it's several lbs over 30... 32+ or so.
    "It looks flexy"

rfp
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Deville seems to be made for Firebird. Front end grip is rely good and deville works well in small bumps and eats big ones also. The hydraulic oil inside the fork doesn't like temperatures below - 12 C. That is the only complain so far.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    thanks would be happy at 32lbs off to think

trail "cleaner"

31 pounds even...

Just got mine built up and hit Kiwanis and Holbert trails this past Sunday.. Perfect bike for Phoenix's South Mountain tech trails
    Build:
    Frame: Med. with RP23 and boost valve
    Fork: RS Lyrik Solo Air DH Tapered Steerer
    Brakes: Hayes Stroker Trail 8" rotor up front and 7" in back
    Drivetrain: Combo XT and XTR 9 speed
    Wheels: CK hubs on Mavic 819's with single ply Kenda sticky rubber (2.5" Nevegal up front and 2.6" Kinetic in back) tubeless of course
    Saddle: WTB Rocket V SLT
    Thomson post, FSA stem, Protaper bars,Oury grips
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Firebird builds, weights and recommendations please.........-pivot-firebird-side-shot.jpg  

Firebird builds, weights and recommendations please.........-pivot-firebird-front-shot.jpg  

Firebird builds, weights and recommendations please.........-pivot-firebird-rear-shot.jpg  

No dabs allowed!

I am Doctor Remulak
    Pretty solid build you've got there AZmtncycler, what left the stable to make room for the Firebird?
    MTBR wants you to know that I work here

trail "cleaner"

Hi Mike

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey
    Pretty solid build you've got there AZmtncycler, what left the stable to make room for the Firebird?
    I sold the '08 Yeti 575 frame a few months ago.
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Firebird custom build

Just finished building up my Firebird, first ride is tomorow and i cant wait to give it some stick! Breif rundown on spec; Large frame with rp23 shock (soon to be DHX Air) Fox Vanilla 36's 160mm, SLX cranks 2x9 with e-13 dual chain guide. Prototype reynolds Carbon All Mountain Wheels, XO Shifers + mech, Avid Elixer Carbon brakes with dual piston code calipers, DMR Vault pedals and some kinda droppy post thing too. Weighs in at just over 33lbs with the dual ply wetscreams which are 1.2kgs each, should be able to hit 30lbs further down the line with out too much trouble.

mtbr member
    Digging the wheels. Post a review of those when you can.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    very swish tommy v, what weight is the wheel set?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Mine is a L with DHX Air, medium build, weighs like 34 lbs, but like clay i don't want it much lighter..............peace of mind in the rough stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler
    Just got mine built up and hit Kiwanis and Holbert trails this past Sunday.. Perfect bike for Phoenix's South Mountain tech trails
    Build:
    Frame: Med. with RP23 and boost valve
    Fork: RS Lyrik Solo Air DH Tapered Steerer
    Brakes: Hayes Stroker Trail 8" rotor up front and 7" in back
    Drivetrain: Combo XT and XTR 9 speed
    Wheels: CK hubs on Mavic 819's with single ply Kenda sticky rubber (2.5" Nevegal up front and 2.6" Kinetic in back) tubeless of course
    Saddle: WTB Rocket V SLT
    Thomson post, FSA stem, Protaper bars,Oury grips
    I sure like how this bike looks. Are those the 1" rise bars?
    "It looks flexy"

trail "cleaner"

Answer Protapers...

Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    I sure like how this bike looks. Are those the 1" rise bars?
    No, these are the two inch rise bars using the older 25.4 clamp and 27' wide. I'll probably end up with some Sunline V1 OS bars and a different stem but for now, these have worked well for me over the years.
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler
    No, these are the two inch rise bars using the older 25.4 clamp and 27' wide. I'll probably end up with some Sunline V1 OS bars and a different stem but for now, these have worked well for me over the years.
    I like the old school high rise. I went with the mid rise 720mm AM carbon ones they have now (they are fantastic bars, BTW). Sorta wish I had gone high rise with less spacers under the stem. I guess I could re-purchase them but DOH!

http://www.answerproducts.com/compon...arbon-720-am/#
    Last edited by gticlay; 02-20-2011 at 12:00 PM.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    got the firebird frame BUT been sent a XL not a large........................nightmare!

However a quick line up against my other bike and it looks similiar in size, so

current frame eff top tube 24 inches seat tube 19.

At 6 ft but shrinking s XL too large? Am i just grasping at straws??!!!

mtbr member
    I'm riding an XL. It's really preference - I like a little longer wheelbase and I have a long torso for my height so it fits well. Other's like Ken have gone the opposite way and are riding a medium where they could probably ride a large.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Clay can I ask how tall you are and does the eff top tube really measure 24.6???

Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicksville
    Clay can I ask how tall you are and does the eff top tube really measure 24.6???

Cheers
    I'm 6'1" and it's slightly shorter than my Nomad XL on paper and in feel.
    "It looks flexy"

Stucco Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicksville
    got the firebird frame BUT been sent a XL not a large........................nightmare!

However a quick line up against my other bike and it looks similiar in size, so

current frame eff top tube 24 inches seat tube 19.

At 6 ft but shrinking s XL too large? Am i just grasping at straws??!!!
    Im your size, maybe a bit bigger. I couldnt ride an XL. medium has been real nice, maybe a bit short on long climbs but overall Im happy with my choice.

Hardyboy404
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_v
    Just finished building up my Firebird, first ride is tomorow and i cant wait to give it some stick! Breif rundown on spec; Large frame with rp23 shock (soon to be DHX Air) Fox Vanilla 36's 160mm, SLX cranks 2x9 with e-13 dual chain guide. Prototype reynolds Carbon All Mountain Wheels, XO Shifers + mech, Avid Elixer Carbon brakes with dual piston code calipers, DMR Vault pedals and some kinda droppy post thing too. Weighs in at just over 33lbs with the dual ply wetscreams which are 1.2kgs each, should be able to hit 30lbs further down the line with out too much trouble.

you have to tell me how you like that fork on it i've been hearing it needs 170+mm ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast