Thread: Firebiord demo

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Firebiord demo

Hi all,

Just wanted to say thanks Pivot for allowing me to demo a Firebird
    yesterday at Hooligans trail. Some nice techy sections with lots
    of loose climbs and a bit of exposure. The Firebird really allows balanced handling, being albe to shift weight intuitively due to the susp. geo.

I was womdering if anyone has experienced ,ore pplushness out of thr rp23, tho ?

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zocalo
    I was womdering if anyone has experienced ,ore pplushness out of thr rp23, tho ?
    Not sure what you are asking here?
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    ok,
    what I meant to say was I got to demo the firebird the other day on a trail
    worthy of the firebird. It was one of the more techy trails in Tucson Mtn Park, unoficially
    known as 'hooligans'. I was very impressed with the overall handling, especially on the loose
    gravelly steep climb part, the psotion sensitive antisquat really works quite well for
    bike handling on the cloimbs. It did well despite having a fox float 180 in front.

One thing I was a little disappointed was the plushness going down the part of the
    Marriott Hotel trail which is just super choppy, constant 6 - 12" sharp hits.
    It didnt feel as plush as I thought it could and was wondering if other people experienced the
    same thing with the new rp23 ?

Pivotal figure
    I guess the big question is what you're referencing the plushness against. If you normally ride a coil shock then it's not going to feel as plush. I normally ride the DHX5 on mine but have ridden with the RP23 several times and it worked quite well. Not as tuneable as my DHX but very nice. One possibility is that the fork may not have been set quite right for you. It's tough to get a perfect setup on one demo ride but we do try to get as close as possible.
    BTW, the forks we spec on our bikes are actually 170mm Floats (it's a custom 180mm with a shim to lower the travel).
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yeah, if anything it may have been a setup thing. I run the DHX air as well, if anything some complain the DHX can blow thru the midstroke too quickly-but I prefer the quick responding rear end. that is why some refer to it as almost coil-like. Definitely different than a coil though.