mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Enve,Extralite,CX-Ray

I haven't decided if I'm going to pull the trigger on a blue 5.7 Carbon, if I do these wheels I just got built by Fairwheelbikes will be going on it.
    Enve 26" XC UST with custom rim decals.
    Extralite ultrahubs. Front 15mm TA.
    Sapim CX-Ray spokes.
    Pillar Alum. nipples.
    Total weight = 1169 grams.
    Instead of using the heavy Gorilla tape Enve supplies for going tubeless, I asked Fairwheel to try Stan's Yellow tape. It worked with 25mm yellow tape & they mounted a tire & tube to seat the tape.So ready to roll with valves & tape they are 1190 grams.
    For the green 5.7 carbon Extralite makes these hubs in a close green color to the 5.7 & you could probably get fairwheel to make green rim decals to match.Would make for a killer looking Pivot & a very light one as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Enve,Extralite,CX-Ray-enve_extralite_studio_01_1.jpg  

Enve,Extralite,CX-Ray-enve_extralite_studio_02_1.jpg  

Enve,Extralite,CX-Ray-enve_extralite_front_scale_1.jpg  

Enve,Extralite,CX-Ray-enve_extralite_rear_scale_1.jpg  

Enve,Extralite,CX-Ray-yellow_taped_enve_ust_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Very nice indeed. I am considering some enve's too if I go down the path of 5.7c, and like the green option the best. Going to book my lbs's demo shortly. Seems like you wanted to go quite light with your wheel build there with the choice of 28 spoke count and the extralite hubs. Just curious what type of terrain you'll be riding them on and interested to see how such a light build handles general trail riding abuse? I'm not too familiar with the extralites, are they more of a weight weenie xc type hub and do they have a good rep for taking punishment? Did you consider going 32 spokes?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fakemind View Post
    Very nice indeed. I am considering some enve's too if I go down the path of 5.7c, and like the green option the best. Going to book my lbs's demo shortly. Seems like you wanted to go quite light with your wheel build there with the choice of 28 spoke count and the extralite hubs. Just curious what type of terrain you'll be riding them on and interested to see how such a light build handles general trail riding abuse? I'm not too familiar with the extralites, are they more of a weight weenie xc type hub and do they have a good rep for taking punishment? Did you consider going 32 spokes?
    Thanks. I went 28 spoke on Enve's recommedation. Anyone under 165 lbs. can go 28. I went with the CX-Rays due to their rep of building strong light wheels. The Extralite's are an XC hub, but I've researched these for a long time & couldn't find any issue's or failures with these hubs.Plus they have made constant improvements on these over time & the new 17mm axle should be even stronger.Some wheel builders say straight pull spokes like the Extralite's hubs build a more reliable wheel.Are terrain here is very rough with lots of steep mountains, roots, rocks, logs,mud.I will be using these mostly for XC/ light AM with the odd bike park day - however I'm not a basher and crasher & do not do big jumps or drops.One of the main reasons I wanted a light wheelset/bike is alot of are rides here in the Rockies start out with 1 1/2 hour plus climbs that can be very steep in sections.
    If you go for a green 5.7 post some pics. Also fairwheelbikes.com has lots of cool parts & bits in green.My buddy is building a green 5.7 from the frame up which is going to be really cool.

mtbr member
    Very Nice !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    Would make for a killer looking Pivot & a very light one as well.
    You mean like this?

My hubs are Project 321, but the wheels are absolutely amazing. So is the Lefty, for the record.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Thanks. I went 28 spoke on Enve's recommedation. Anyone under 165 lbs. can go 28. I went with the CX-Rays due to their rep of building strong light wheels. The Extralite's are an XC hub, but I've researched these for a long time & couldn't find any issue's or failures with these hubs.Plus they have made constant improvements on these over time & the new 17mm axle should be even stronger.Some wheel builders say straight pull spokes like the Extralite's hubs build a more reliable wheel.Are terrain here is very rough with lots of steep mountains, roots, rocks, logs,mud.I will be using these mostly for XC/ light AM with the odd bike park day - however I'm not a basher and crasher & do not do big jumps or drops.One of the main reasons I wanted a light wheelset/bike is alot of are rides here in the Rockies start out with 1 1/2 hour plus climbs that can be very steep in sections.
    If you go for a green 5.7 post some pics. Also fairwheelbikes.com has lots of cool parts & bits in green.My buddy is building a green 5.7 from the frame up which is going to be really cool.
    Thanks for the info. It will likely be a few months yet before I'd pull the trigger. Have a few more bikes I want to test and still need to get final approval from the Minister of Finances Looks like from your pics that is a standard QR rear? Can the extralite's be converted to a 12 x 142mm thru-axle?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fakemind View Post
    Thanks for the info. It will likely be a few months yet before I'd pull the trigger. Have a few more bikes I want to test and still need to get final approval from the Minister of Finances Looks like from your pics that is a standard QR rear? Can the extralite's be converted to a 12 x 142mm thru-axle?
    Yes, they can be converted to 12 x 142mm.

Fat & Single
    I went 28 spoke on Enve's recommedation. Anyone under 165 lbs. can go 28.
    Where'd you get the weight limit from ? Moi is 200lb and ENVE built my wheels 28h/CX rays/Kings
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Where'd you get the weight limit from ? Moi is 200lb and ENVE built my wheels 28h/CX rays/Kings
    Someone had posted that on another forum with a link to the Enve Manuals.Even at your weight I'm sure Enve rims with Kings are bomb proof.

Fat & Single
    Even at your weight I'm sure Enve rims with Kings are bomb proof.
    Where is the link to this manual ? There nowhere ENVE states a weigh limit on their MTB wheels and why would there be when they are stronger than most other rims out there.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Where is the link to this manual ? There nowhere ENVE states a weigh limit on their MTB wheels and why would there be when they are stronger than most other rims out there.
    I don't think there is a weight limit on Enve wheels, Enve is just suggesting 32 spokes for riders over 165 lbs. I got the info from this wheelbuilder, who builds high end wheelsets.Go to post #17 where he talks about it and gives a link.
    29er XC Carbon Race Wheels Lightest Yet

Fat & Single
    ENVE is not suggesting any weight limit, it says nowhere on the website and ENVE will not tell you this either. ENVE got all my details including my previous weight of 210lb and built me a set of 28h UST XC nearly a year ago.

Im simply pointing out that what you are saying is 100% wrong and misleading to others.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    ENVE is not suggesting any weight limit, it says nowhere on the website and ENVE will not tell you this either. ENVE got all my details including my previous weight of 210lb and built me a set of 28h UST XC nearly a year ago.

Im simply pointing out that what you are saying is 100% wrong and misleading to others.
    Holy crap...seriously BMX boy. In my OP I never said anything about weight & 28 spokes.
    Fakemind asked me why I went with 28 spokes.I'm NOT a wheelbuilder, I gathered info from highend wheelbuilders when considering an Enve build.You then asked me where I got this info on 28 spokes/weight. I provided you with the link to the thread where I got the info. You're welcome by the way - it took a while to find.This wheelbuilder has a very good rep & does good work - I trusted what he said.Maybe he has old info on the original Edge rims? If your so put out by this, why don't you ask the guy that builds Enve wheels for a living, I provided you with the link, but your on that thread so you already know where the info came from.

mtbr member
    I'm ENVE-ous. Nice!
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Holy crap...seriously BMX boy. In my OP I never said anything about weight & 28 spokes.
    Fakemind asked me why I went with 28 spokes.I'm NOT a wheelbuilder, I gathered info from highend wheelbuilders when considering an Enve build.You then asked me where I got this info on 28 spokes/weight. I provided you with the link to the thread where I got the info. You're welcome by the way - it took a while to find.This wheelbuilder has a very good rep & does good work - I trusted what he said.Maybe he has old info on the original Edge rims? If your so put out by this, why don't you ask the guy that builds Enve wheels for a living, I provided you with the link, but your on that thread so you already know where the info came from.
    Just for another perspective... from a guy who builds these for a living, too (not me, the guy who built mine: Jake at Project 321). I'm 225ish geared up and have the 28 holers. I was told they're so stout that I didn't need to go for the 32 holes.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Just for another perspective... from a guy who builds these for a living, too (not me, the guy who built mine: Jake at Project 321). I'm 225ish geared up and have the 28 holers. I was told they're so stout that I didn't need to go for the 32 holes.
    Ya I'm sure your wheels are bomb proof Skiahh, seems the Santa Cruz DH team has proven that. Easton is building wheels with 24 spokes and they seem to be holding up well.

mtbr member

28...until you break a spoke

On a 32 hole Stans Arch 29 I broke a spoke and didn't even notice it until I got back to the parking lot. Maybe I was lucky, maybe the wheel was overbuilt, but is worth 40 grams (roughly 5g/ spoke and nipple x 8 more spokes). Not when you are in the middle of nowhere and darkness is falling rapidly and the monsters are closing in...