Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Early Mach 4 Carbon Reviews...

Starting this thread in hopes of soliciting some reviews of anyone who has had a chance to ride one of these things at a Pivot demo. Im in SoCal so Pivot wont be coming back through these parts for a while.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there on this bike other than what was in the press release. I did stumble onto this today...

Pivot Cycles Mach 4 Carbon Demo | dirtwire.tv

Pivotal figure
    Well my "review" won't exactly be unbiased but I can offer my honest feelings regarding the bike. I've been riding the final prototype for a few weeks now , it's an alloy frame, Med with a mix of XX1 and other parts. So far I've logged 183 miles on it and I'm still amazed at how capable it is. I can truly say this is the 1st XC bike that I feel comfortable riding everything on National trail at speed (descending). I expected it to climb well but was very surprised at how "normal" it felt to me in the really techy stuff, like big uphill moves over boulders and tall water bars. Keep in mind that my main bike for the last 5 years has been the Firebird and that puts things into perspective. My quick and dirty breakdown is that this bike is like my Les 27.5 and my M4X got together and this is the offspring. Definitely plan to add one to the stable....More reviews will probably be slow to trickle in since we only have 4 bikes in the traveling demo fleet (1 Med and Lg on each coast).
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks Ken, at this point I dont even mind reading biased reviews, just hungry for more content on this thing. I had no idea there were so few of these bikes on the demo circuit, its gonna be a long wait...

Enduro Mag ? PressCamp 2014: Pivot Cycles comes full circle with the Mach 4 Carbon

Pivotal figure
    Yeah, we REALLY pushed hard to have a selection of rideable bikes for demo as soon as the official release happened but it'll take a while to get a substantial demo fleet available. The few bikes out there are a big help though since people can actually ride something that's only been public knowledge for a few weeks now
    Here's a little sample of what I've managed to do on this bike though. This is one of my main test loops that I use for various bikes. It has a nice mix of loose stuff, steep sections, fast turns, a little chunk and even some jumpy stuff.
    Bike Ride Profile | Tues sprints near Phoenix | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Here's a little sample of what I've managed to do on this bike though.
    Nice KOM on "Buttcheeks DH". Haven't ridden in that part of Phoenix myself, but 19 seconds on a DH segment w/ ~300 riders is impressive, especially on a short(er) travel 27.5.

Pretty high average speed so maybe it's not very chunky (relative to say SoMo), but then that would suggest the mid-size wheels more than hold their own against 29"ers in "rolly" terrain.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

Pivotal figure
    Yeah, the stuff on that segment is more swoopy with high speed roller rock sections. I can actually ride it pretty fast on my Les too but there are a couple of spots that the extra suspension comes into play. It's cool to track times with different bikes since I can see what really matters over a longer distance. The previous ride I did was on the M4X and I beat my times on the new M4, M6, Les and Firebird but I kinda expected that because the segments had plenty of turns that are difficult to stay online at high speed (which is exactly what the M4X was designed for). It just goes to prove that every bike is going to be "Best" in it's element, you just have to be realistic when deciding which type of terrain you prefer before you get that new ride. Or just admit you can't decide and devote an entire portion of your house to the bike fleet (like I'm doing )
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e View Post
    Nice KOM on "Buttcheeks DH". Haven't ridden in that part of Phoenix myself, but 19 seconds on a DH segment w/ ~300 riders is impressive, especially on a short(er) travel 27.5.

Pretty high average speed so maybe it's not very chunky (relative to say SoMo), but then that would suggest the mid-size wheels more than hold their own against 29"ers in "rolly" terrain.

mtbr member
    Dang Ken the Machine making me wish I had a M4 right now, keeping me pump with these post. I talk to my local pivot dealer and they got 4 on order for fall and I got my name on the med. East coast demo is coming around this month hopefully I can get a taste of the magic.

Pivotal figure
    Nice! Get there early since he only has 1 Med
    Quote Originally Posted by 5power View Post
    Dang Ken the Machine making me wish I had a M4 right now, keeping me pump with these post. I talk to my local pivot dealer and they got 4 on order for fall and I got my name on the med. East coast demo is coming around this month hopefully I can get a taste of the magic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Any idea when they plan to have an extra small in the demo fleet? My wife is very interested in this bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    . I expected it to climb well but was very surprised at how "normal" it felt to me in the really techy stuff, like big uphill moves over boulders and tall water bars. Keep in mind that my main bike for the last 5 years has been the Firebird and that puts things into perspective.
    I have a Mach 6 on my wish list if I could only find a local demo but now I am wondering if I should wait for the Mach 4. How did the Mach 4 handle down the waterfall on National?

Dual Squishy...
    Demo coming to the DC area by any chance?

Pivotal figure
    I'm thinking we won't have a full size run in the demo fleet until after Interbike at least. We're pushing for frames as quick as we can but it takes time.
    Quote Originally Posted by gryeti View Post
    Any idea when they plan to have an extra small in the demo fleet? My wife is very interested in this bike!

Pivotal figure
    It handled the Waterfall just fine although I did have to be a bit more cautious (not as forgiving as my 'Bird). If I were riding trails like National all the time this wouldn't be my first choice for a bike but for pretty much everything else it's amazingly capable. It can handle the nasty stuff but you have to focus more OR put some bigger tires on which will hamper the crazy fast nature a bit. I'm running it with an Ikon 2.2" rear and an Ardent Race 2.2" front.
    Quote Originally Posted by Set4lfe View Post
    I have a Mach 6 on my wish list if I could only find a local demo but now I am wondering if I should wait for the Mach 4. How did the Mach 4 handle down the waterfall on National?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It handled the Waterfall just fine although I did have to be a bit more cautious (not as forgiving as my 'Bird). If I were riding trails like National all the time this wouldn't be my first choice for a bike but for pretty much everything else it's amazingly capable. It can handle the nasty stuff but you have to focus more OR put some bigger tires on which will hamper the crazy fast nature a bit. I'm running it with an Ikon 2.2" rear and an Ardent Race 2.2" front.
    Thanks for the honest reply! I think a Mach 6 might suit me better.

mtbr member
    The Pivot truck stopped in Columbus, OH yesterday which was a first and very awesome. Thanks to Pivot and roll: bike shop for coordinating it. Luckily, they had Mach 4 Carbon Medium and Large. For comparison, I own a Turner Burner and Anthem 27.5 (carbon).

The bikes appear very small in size. I think it's the extremely low top tube. According to the sizing recommendations, I'd ride a small which seems crazy after testing the medium. The demo had really short stem 60/70mm, Reynolds Carbon wheels, XTR brakes and SRAM 1 x 10.

In typical Pivot fashion, 100% of the pedal motion propels the bike down/up the trail. It handled closer to the Anthem but the suspension was still compliant over rocks and roots. Not super squishy like the Turner though. I was chasing a guy on a Les who was younger and faster. Able to keep him in reasonable site and catch up on the downhill sections without bouncing myself off a tree. A couple off the hills it seemed to roll up much easier and with less effort than my other bikes.

This bike is no joke and while it may not be the first choice for folks riding in PA rocks. Most other Midwesterners will be thrilled with this ride.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    How tall are you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zootsuitbass View Post
    How tall are you?
    5'8" 29" inseam

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Was the stand over plentiful? Is it really as low as 26?
    Would you prefer a longer stem? Why small ?

mtbr member
    Was the stand over plentiful? Is it really as low as 26?
    Would you prefer a longer stem? Why small ?
    There was plenty of standover room but I've never had much problem with that anyway. The stem seemed fine and I assume they put a shorter one on to match the wide bars. Plus, it makes it a little friendlier for people to demo a medium.

Pivotal figure
    Here's a shot from the weekend. This is the proto I've been riding, trail is part of the Constellation section of the Dells in Prescott,AZ. Super techy pseudo-trials riding. No issues at all with this bike! Very happy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Early Mach 4 Carbon Reviews...-m4-dells.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2013
    How do you have it set up?

Do you think it would be ok with a Pike set at 130mm?

Pivotal figure
    This bike has an XX1 drivetrain with the exception of E13 cranks vs SRAM (running a 32t guide ring). The fork is a Fox32, 120mm travel. I like the current setup but I would also like to try it with a 130mm fork and beefier legs for trail riding. I didn't have any issues during this tech ride but I do notice more flex when I'm pushing it hard thru choppy stuff (which this bike really lets you do) compared to my M4X or 'Bird. I'm still amazed at just how capable this thing is though. Never thought I'd be riding an XC race bike that felt this comfortable in the nasty stuff....
    How do you have it set up?

Do you think it would be ok with a Pike set at 130mm?

mtbr member
    I'm still amazed at just how capable this thing is though. Never thought I'd be riding an XC race bike that felt this comfortable in the nasty stuff....
    Nice thanks for the impressions Ken. Very impressive bike. I'm looking forward to riding it at Interbike and comparing it to my 5010c because I've had the same amazed thoughts about it (very capable for a short travel XC/trail bike).

At 5' 11" which size would you suggest I demo? I liked the medium mach 6 but suspect I would fit the large as well. I ride a large 5010.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Do you think demos will come through Boston again this summer?0

Pivotal figure
    I'm riding a Med frame and it feels pretty good to me but I do prefer a more compact bike. My Les is a Lg but I went that route based on what I want to use it for and more importantly, what I DON"T want to use it for (crazy shenanigans that result in a sad boy with a mangled XC bike )The large def gives me more room to stretch out but I like the added nimble feel of the Med. I'm also running a 70mm stem. If I did a Lrge I'd probably go with a stubby set as well....
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Nice thanks for the impressions Ken. Very impressive bike. I'm looking forward to riding it at Interbike and comparing it to my 5010c because I've had the same amazed thoughts about it (very capable for a short travel XC/trail bike).

At 5' 11" which size would you suggest I demo? I liked the medium mach 6 but suspect I would fit the large as well. I ride a large 5010.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast