Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks. I missed that as I thought I would always be a small at 5'8".

pedaller

That was not Ken

Quote Originally Posted by zootsuitbass View Post
    Hi
    back at post 16 I ask him this and then ask for more fit details of his ride, check it out.
    Short answer he's 5'8,29 inseam and on a med.
    Ken is a little taller than that I believe...
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    edbraunbeck responded he is 5'8" with 29" inseam. Ken is 6'+ I'm pretty sure but he tends to ride smaller frames. I know he rides a medium Firebird which is absurd to me. I ride a med Bird at 5'9" and think it is too short.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Fair enough,, my bad.

Pivotal figure
    Yeah, I'm right at 6' but I prefer smaller frames for more maneuverability in the techy stuff. My background is heavy on BMX & Trials riding so "Normal" size bikes just feel wrong to me. The Med Mach4 does feel very nice but I'm hoping to get some time on a Large soon. I ride a Large Les 27.5 tho, the Med in that model felt way too cramped for the type of riding I use it for (more pure XC stuff, endurance riding).
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ken (or anyone else) you ever spent much time on the 429c? Was wondering your thought between the two; not trying to hijack thread to a wheel size debate, but just curious what you think. I'm primarily an xc racer and currently have a Les & 429c and I'm thinking about adding a M4C to the stable. Thinking the smaller wheels and the light weight build I have in mind might make a cable racer on some tighter climbyer courses.

Pivotal figure
    I've only ridden the 429 on test rides. Spent a bit of time on the 29 Les and while it was light & fast, the larger wheels just felt too big for my riding style. The 4C is VERY nimble though, I put in close to 300 miles on the test bike and was constantly amazed at what I could do on that bike.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I found this spec on the mtbr review of interbike.

standard 73 degree XC seat angle is paired with a 67.5 degree head angle, while the offset on the 27.5 fork provides a slightly slacker head angle

Does this mean in a effort to increase trail their spec-ing a fork with more offset?
    Or simply a miss quote/ print?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Just Ordered

Well, I cracked. I couldn't wait any longer so I put down a deposit for one.

On a side note I wanted to share what the rep told my shop about wait times. Originally I wanted to go with the new XTR 9000, those bikes would ship to me (could differ depending on your place in the queue) in Feb or March 2015. So I decided to go XT which should ship to me in December.

Its going to be a long 3 months...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Dickbrown you lite a fire; called my guy and ordered the xx1 w/ Reynolds. Switching out the cockpit and brakes. Hoping for a 21lb race machine!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I cant make up my mind, im putting an order in for a new bike next week either Pivot Mach 4 Carbon or the 27.5 Turner Flux. The shorter stays have me leaning more towards this but would really like to see a proper review Mach 4 first tho.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anc67 View Post
    I cant make up my mind, im putting an order in for a new bike next week either Pivot Mach 4 Carbon or the 27.5 Turner Flux. The shorter stays have me leaning more towards this but would really like to see a proper review Mach 4 first tho.
    For what it is worth, I own a Turner Burner and Giant Anthem 27.5. After a 8.5 mile ride on the Pivot Mach 4 Carbon, I noticed that every rotation of the crank just seemed to propel the bike forward. Much better than the Anthem which surprised me. Plus, the Pivot shock sag was set on trail. Dare to see what it would do in Race mode.

The bike handled as well as the Anthem but the suspension was supple enough to absorb roots and rocks. No where near as squishy as the Burner though.

Hope this helps.

Ed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edbraunbeck View Post
    For what it is worth, I own a Turner Burner and Giant Anthem 27.5. After a 8.5 mile ride on the Pivot Mach 4 Carbon, I noticed that every rotation of the crank just seemed to propel the bike forward. Much better than the Anthem which surprised me. Plus, the Pivot shock sag was set on trail. Dare to see what it would do in Race mode.

The bike handled as well as the Anthem but the suspension was supple enough to absorb roots and rocks. No where near as squishy as the Burner though.

Hope this helps.

Ed
    Thanks for the review Ed getting me more excited.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyrider View Post
    Dickbrown you lite a fire; called my guy and ordered the xx1 w/ Reynolds. Switching out the cockpit and brakes. Hoping for a 21lb race machine!
    Nice! Glad I could help someone over the ledge! Im curious about those wheels. I dont know anything about Reynolds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by anc67 View Post
    The first bike I demo'd back in March was a Flux. It really is a nice bike but I personally didn't get that snappy feel that I want from a 27.5 bike. It has long-ish chainstay's and that might be the reason but its also the reason it climbs so well. I may have been having a bad day but it just didn't steer any better than my current 29er.

I have also ridden a 5010 and that felt way snappier and fun. I haven't compared their geo's though. Also at that price point I just prefer carbon, but that's just personal preference.

Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickbrown View Post

On a side note I wanted to share what the rep told my shop about wait times. Originally I wanted to go with the new XTR 9000, those bikes would ship to me (could differ depending on your place in the queue) in Feb or March 2015. So I decided to go XT which should ship to me in December.

Nice. Any idea what the XT spec'd model will weigh in at?

MTB'er
    Sep 2005

So, for the XTR 9000 equipped Mach 4C, shipping estimates are Feb/Mar 2015... that's just 60-30 days shy of Sea Otter 2015, when many brands will introduce their 2016 products. Wow. It really pays to sell today what you will actually deliver until next year...
    "I will not relent"

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by blatido View Post
    So, for the XTR 9000 equipped Mach 4C, shipping estimates are Feb/Mar 2015... that's just 60-30 days shy of Sea Otter 2015, when many brands will introduce their 2016 products. Wow. It really pays to sell today what you will actually deliver until next year...
    Ya, I asked my LBS guy about this and he agreed its a flawed system. Seems like companies should really wait till they have product to ship before hyping it. It was almost 6 months ago that Shimano intorduced Di2, so far not even a teaser for when it will be in stores.

Im happy to wait for the bike, but good ole XT will suit me just fine...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    LBS said it left Pivot today; hopefully have some pics and early ride reviews by next weekend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    LBS said it left Pivot today; hopefully have some pics and early ride reviews by next weekend.
    Its a moral imperative that you do so

mtbr member
    May 2013
    "LBS said it left Pivot today; hopefully have some pics and early ride reviews by next weekend."

Game on! Oh yah.

MTB'er
    Sep 2005
    Don't worry, no pressure at all. Just take in consideration we're already waiting for your pics and riding report.
    "I will not relent"

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Tobyrider, I'm curious about your situation. Seems like you ordered a bike around the same time I did. Did your shop already have some in order?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm not exactly sure how it played out. I've been talking to my guy for the past month about this build. Last Friday I texted him a screenshot of this thread regarding the wait times and he called me 10 min later and said he could get me a sram w/ reynolds now, but I had to decide then.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Talk about good timing. Your guy must have a great relationship with Pivot. Can't wait to read about it.

What color did you go with?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yeah, lucky. I went with the red.

Talk about good timing. Your guy must have a great relationship with Pivot. Can't wait to read about it.

What color did you go with?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    are the mach 4 shipping yet? i ordered a xs from lbs here in n.cal but was told end of october at the earliest.

Pivotal figure
    Med & Large are shipping now but in very limited quantities. More are on the way and we're getting them out the door as quickly as possible...
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty_garage View Post
    are the mach 4 shipping yet? i ordered a xs from lbs here in n.cal but was told end of october at the earliest.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Early Mach 4 Carbon Reviews...-img_2638.jpg

I'll get a ride in as soon as I can get away from work tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hi guys need all your help and advice, is it possible to put 26 wheels with a 140mm fork on the m4c? thinking of buying the m4c but having to change to 27.5wheels, it really shine me away from it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Now that there is a production one in the real world.

What cable is that hanging by the bottom bracket?Rear derailleur? That looks like trouble waiting to happen.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zootsuitbass View Post
    Now that there is a production one in the real world.

What cable is that hanging by the bottom bracket?Rear derailleur? That looks like trouble waiting to happen.
    No please, it's the purest style Specialized route cables.

MTB'er
    Sep 2005
    Congrats, nice looking bike!! My only concern is... I don't really like that RD cable dangling from the down tube. Probably just needs to be shortened...??
    "I will not relent"

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Nicely done tobyrider, you may have the first one known to man. Im diggin the red for sure, I have a blue on order.

I went back and looked at the production picks and it appears the hanging cable should be able to be shortened but Im sure you'll let us know the realities of that, and everything else.

looking forward to hearing your ride comments.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    All the cables are long right now, I'm just going to do a couple of preliminary rides and then LBS is going to cut steerer and clean up tubes. I've also got some different rotors and seat post coming in, I just couldn't let this thing sit at the shop!

Nicely done tobyrider, you may have the first one known to man. Im diggin the red for sure, I have a blue on order.

I went back and looked at the production picks and it appears the hanging cable should be able to be shortened but Im sure you'll let us know the realities of that, and everything else.

looking forward to hearing your ride comments.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    First ride today was a very flat and fast trail with some tight treed areas and plenty of swoopy turns, but a lot of open pedaling. I didn't think this would be an ideal testing ground against my 429c & Les 29, but this is where my buddies were going and there's a race there this weekend. This is a trail I've ridden countless times and raced several times.

Immediately I noticed how fun the bike is, it just wants to jump and play. Also, noticed pretty quick how effortless the climbing was (what little climbing there is), how much easier the smaller wheels turned and how fast the accelerations are compared to the 29ers. The Mach 4 is also more plush than the 429c; maybe it's the geo or maybe it's the extra 15mm of rear??

This was a group ride so not a total race effort by any means, but we had some pushes. The bike felt VERY fast, but I was wondering during the ride if this was just the sensation of the smaller wheels and if I was actually going as fast as on the 29ers. I concluded during the ride that faster or not the bike was so much fun I really didn't care; I knew this was going to be my go to bike in the immediate future!

Below is the link to Strava, I was surprised on how many PRs I had; keep in mind I've had several hot laps out here before on the 29ers. I also included a picture of a segment that really surprised me; very flat sprint with wide swoopy turns that's been on every race I've done out there. The kind of segment that you'd think 29er on all day, but I was faster today.

Anyways, I think the bike is a home run and I can't wait to get it on some more technical trials with some elevation.. I'm not going to get any work done this week!

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Maiden Voyage near Rowlett | Times and Records | Strava

Early Mach 4 Carbon Reviews...-img_0487.jpgEarly Mach 4 Carbon Reviews...-fullsizerender-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Sweet - I'm so excited to finally hear a real person review it! Thanks for posting.

Wondering when they're going to get some small frames out there so I can demo (or buy) one...

mtbr member
    What size frame is that and how tall are you? These bikes seem to have a ton off seat post exposed. I am 6ft 1.5in, trying to figure out if I'm too big for this. Congrats on the new ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks. 5'10 and its a medium. It is a reach to the bottle cage for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
    What size frame is that and how tall are you? These bikes seem to have a ton off seat post exposed. I am 6ft 1.5in, trying to figure out if I'm too big for this. Congrats on the new ride.

Pivotal figure
    tobyrider: Is your rear der housing routed thru the upper or lower cable port? The lower is where you want it to be, the upper port is intended for use with a sideswing front der.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Early Mach 4 Carbon Reviews...-m4c-battery-detail-yes-900x600.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks Ken, it's in the upper. I'll let the LBS know.

Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    tobyrider: Is your rear der housing routed thru the upper or lower cable port? The lower is where you want it to be, the upper port is intended for use with a sideswing front der.

Pivotal figure
    Cool. We're still working on getting a cable routing diagram for that bike ready to post. There's no real problem running it the way yours is but the lower port will tidy up the cabling a lot.
    Thanks Ken, it's in the upper. I'll let the LBS know.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    First ride today was a very flat and fast trail with some tight treed areas and plenty of swoopy turns, but a lot of open pedaling. I didn't think this would be an ideal testing ground against my 429c & Les 29, but this is where my buddies were going and there's a race there this weekend. This is a trail I've ridden countless times and raced several times.

Immediately I noticed how fun the bike is, it just wants to jump and play. Also, noticed pretty quick how effortless the climbing was (what little climbing there is), how much easier the smaller wheels turned and how fast the accelerations are compared to the 29ers. The Mach 4 is also more plush than the 429c; maybe it's the geo or maybe it's the extra 15mm of rear??

This was a group ride so not a total race effort by any means, but we had some pushes. The bike felt VERY fast, but I was wondering during the ride if this was just the sensation of the smaller wheels and if I was actually going as fast as on the 29ers. I concluded during the ride that faster or not the bike was so much fun I really didn't care; I knew this was going to be my go to bike in the immediate future!

Below is the link to Strava, I was surprised on how many PRs I had; keep in mind I've had several hot laps out here before on the 29ers. I also included a picture of a segment that really surprised me; very flat sprint with wide swoopy turns that's been on every race I've done out there. The kind of segment that you'd think 29er on all day, but I was faster today.

Anyways, I think the bike is a home run and I can't wait to get it on some more technical trials with some elevation.. I'm not going to get any work done this week!
    Very nice! I'm interested to see how it does on some of the rockier stuff. If you happen to get down to Austin, let me know how it does in the chunky stuff!

There's a Pivot demo coming up in Oct @ Cycle Progression, so hoping to try one there and compare to my 429C.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm going to Moab next week. I'm debating taking the M4c or the 429c. I think I'd rather be on the M4c at this point, but the "new" isn't worn off yet and I'm afraid to travel with it. Ha! No better testing ground though!

mtbr member
    Tobyrider thats a sick ride you got!! I bet its a blast to whip and look for obstacle to launch off. I can't wait to get mine. U gotta take it to Moab.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Awesome,,,, I'm so getting one. I think a lot of people will have that much seat post if they fit to the reach length.

That's the main reason I'm SO stoked on this on is that I need a bike with a long TT/reach and low stand over.

mtbr member

Early Mach 4 Carbon Reviews...

Don't leave us hanging! Were you able to get a second ride, Toby?
    I've had a sm and xs on order since June. I'm dying to hear your review after a more tech ride with some elevation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ha! I did get another couple of hours yesterday, but nothing new to report, just that I love this freakn bike! The trail was another tame one, but offered a little more fast downhills; just enough to make me really want to get this bike on a proper trial. It's at the shop getting the RD cable rerouted, shock flipped and steerer cut. We're getting rain today in Dallas, but this weekend will be some big rides on some more technical trials and then I've decided to take the M4 to Moab next week so I'll get a really good feel for the bike over the next week and of course report back. I have a feeling I already know what I'm going to have to say about it though!

Quote Originally Posted by toddchism View Post
    Don't leave us hanging! Were you able to get a second ride, Toby?
    I've had a sm and xs on order since June. I'm dying to hear your review after a more tech ride with some elevation.

mtbr member

Early Mach 4 Carbon Reviews...

Thanks for the feedback, Toby. Looking forward to hearing your review, after Moab!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Early Mach 4 Carbon Reviews...-img_1132.jpgI rode one today for 3 minutes.... I want it! Mainly because of fit. It was a Med and it has a amazing amount of stand over clearance.
    Last edited by zootsuitbass; 10-02-2014 at 06:58 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast