Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Pivotal figure
    The East Coast demo truck is working it's way back home now so Boston is probably out until next summer. He's in Ohio and Michigan the next couple of weeks....
    Quote Originally Posted by zootsuitbass View Post
    Do you think demos will come through Boston again this summer?0
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    May 2013
    It was a drag to show up at the local Boston demo ,wanting to ride this bike. Being told no deal,it wasn't there.Then that vid shows up with the JRA guys that was shot a day or two later,in the same location. (1 mile from my house).

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=zootsuitbass;11344381]It was a drag to show up at the local Boston demo ,wanting to ride this bike. Being told no deal,it wasn't there.Then that vid shows up with the JRA guys that was shot a day or two later,in the same location. (1 mile from my house)

I also went to the Fells demo and was disappointed not to ride the bike. I did try the 429C and was astonished by its speed and handling. It would have been great to compare the two since it will be a toss-up between them for me. The LES was so fast it was like riding a motorcycle but the very low BB did cause a few problems. At 5'-9"/29" inseam the 429C fit me nicely in the small but the 27.5 LES was perfect in a medium, so I wonder how the 427 will fit.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Look what I found on the web last night...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    And today on Facebook

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Well looks like they are starting to appear. A shop near me said they will have a batch in October. Cant wait to hear some ride reports.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yes but to be clear. I assume the pic in the shop IS the medium demo bike that people have been riding. I got it off a random FB post,pure luck. The other pic came from Pivots FB page it self. So I'm saying that we haven't seen a production run frame yet.

Pivotal figure
    Yep, we haven't gotten our first production bikes to ship to dealers yet. We're aiming for shorter periods between a bike's official release date and availability but it's always a challenge when you have something new. The projected delivery dates are still on track though. Your very best option for getting on one sooner is to follow the demo schedule and see what's coming near you. Outerbike in Moab is another great opportunity to try out a ton of bikes and work it in as a vacation too.
    Yes but to be clear. I assume the pic in the shop IS the medium demo bike that people have been riding. I got it off a random FB post,pure luck. The other pic came from Pivots FB page it self. So I'm saying that we haven't seen a production run frame yet.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Any body else been riding these??

MORC Member
    Feb 2004
    Any body else been riding these??
    I did get a chance to do a short ride on one at a demo day. Ended up actually liking the 429 better. The one thing I noted was several peddle strikes. Other than that, it was honestly a "meh" for me.
    Do you live in Minnesota? Join MORC to help support our trials!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've ridden it on an 8 mile demo loop in OH with The Edge Outdoors, and loved it! The trail wasn't anything crazy, but did have enough tight single track, berms, roots, rocks, rollers, jumps and even a couple steep drops to realize I wanted one. I have one on order, end of Sept I'm hearing, we'll see.

For me it was the opposite feeling from rpanning's experience. The 429er (and every other 29er I've ridden) is more "meh" for me because it's just flat or too stable or boring feeling. I prefer a light bike with a more snappy responsive feeling, playful on the trail and significantly more maneuverable. This bike is still stable, but gives me a better connection with the trail and a bigger smile. I had no issues with pedal strikes, not to say I won't on more tech. rocky terrain.

I've been testing everything this summer, even went to Sea Otter and Dirt Fest just to demo every bike I could get my hands on. I don't need a lot of travel, just enough for light enduro and long trail rides. 4"-5" was my sweet spot. Otherwise, the Bronson was by far my favorite.

I'm 5'10 but with a long torso. The mach 4 carbon Large fits perfect, when I tried the SC 5010 the large still felt too short and cramped for me. I also didn't like how the SC 5010 rear shock felt. You either had to give up some comfort and climbing traction by keeping it in the middle setting, or click it over to open and then feel too much bob. I hate switching modes specific to terrain when I ride. This is why I'm going with the Mach 4. I just left it open, and it seemed to have the best balance for ups, downs and flats. Better rear suspension design in this category than any other manufacturer out there in my opinion. When I heard it was only 115mm of travel I almost gave up on it. Glad I did not. I agree with the others when they say it feels like it has more travel than it reads. With a pike 130mm (it's a new option for SC 5010), this bike will be perfect!

Not a bike for everyone of course, but if you are looking for a shorter travel "do it all" bike that's xc fast, with the comfort, geometry and control of a trail bike, definitely worth a ride.

MORC Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kusar View Post
    For me it was the opposite feeling from rpanning's experience.
    This perfectly highlights the need for everyone to demo bikes themselves! The pedal strikes might have come with the small frame size, I'm 5'4". That or the cranks were longer than usual, I didn't ask.

Agreed on some of the 29ers, some just felt too big. But there are a few that have felt good, climbed really well. Unfortunately they all typically have smaller rear travel; Salsa Spearfish and Pivot 429. Going for 5" myself, figure it's a good medium.

And again for the personal preference, I'm actually leaning towards the 5010 at this point. I felt much more comfortable hitting the "big(er) stuff" than on a 4" travel bike. The thing just takes off and soaks up anything you throw at it, so smooth. As for the small cockpit, sure but it also kept my a$$ farther back in the saddle better. Lastly, I might get the sock "Pushed".
    Do you live in Minnesota? Join MORC to help support our trials!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hey Ken, since the demo truck wont be comming to SoCal anytime soon when will you have these bikes avail to demo at your factory. Might be worth hopping on a plane for 45 min.

Pivotal figure
    We'll be building up more bikes before Interbike but I have no idea what our house fleet will consist of afterward. It's best to call and see what we might have available as these bikes tend to go out to various shops and events that the demo trucks can't make it to.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Does anyone have a picture of the mach 4 carbon in size L?

Thanks.

Pivotal figure
    The Green bike up at the top of this page is a Large....
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy66 View Post
    Does anyone have a picture of the mach 4 carbon in size L?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thank you. I was already wondering. Looks really good.

mtbr member
    Ken I preorder a Mach 4 x1 build but I'm having second thoughts since I'll probably swap half the components out. How long is the wait on the frame only build? My dealer said my bike should ship sometime in Oct. I want to pay for the upgrade to Kashima fork and wheelset but I guess you guys can't swap parts over.

Also the bike will come with sram guide brakes how do you like those compare to Shimano?

Pivotal figure
    I don't really have any idea on wait times for specific builds, I'm the one in back packing the bikes up as orders come thru. You can always call and talk to a sales person for more details on specific delivery dates. We do anticipate this bike being very popular and judging by pre-orders that I know of, it's gonna be a similar wait to the M6.
    As for the Guide brakes, they're a HUGE improvement IMO. Lots of power and very nice modulation. The biggest difference between them and Shimano is the same as it's always been. Shimano feel like Shimano, SRAM feel like SRAM. Personal preference, I like my XT's but had no trouble with the Guides....
    Quote Originally Posted by 5power View Post
    Ken I preorder a Mach 4 x1 build but I'm having second thoughts since I'll probably swap half the components out. How long is the wait on the frame only build? My dealer said my bike should ship sometime in Oct. I want to pay for the upgrade to Kashima fork and wheelset but I guess you guys can't swap parts over.

Also the bike will come with sram guide brakes how do you like those compare to Shimano?

mtbr member
    Thanks Ken I decided to keep my x1 order. Really want the bike asap so i'll give those sram brakes a try. I have a 34 on the mach 6 which I'll upgrade to a 36 and swap the 34 to the mach 4. Run it at 120 and see how she feels.

Thanks for the feedback!

Pivotal figure
    That's actually the fork setup I want to try out, maybe a 130mm version even.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5power View Post
    Thanks Ken I decided to keep my x1 order. Really want the bike asap so i'll give those sram brakes a try. I have a 34 on the mach 6 which I'll upgrade to a 36 and swap the 34 to the mach 4. Run it at 120 and see how she feels.

Thanks for the feedback!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I was thinking pike at 130. Although this integration with di2 has me intrigued. Hopefully next year they'll have xtdi2. If I went with fox 34 could I retrofit the eletronic ctd cap?
    Push bottom lock out sounds nice!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Oh, ok. Only the 32 in 100mm is offered with the electronic.... Screw that.. Pike at 130!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The sizing specks for the bike are finally out on the new pivot website. Looks like the medium will now fit 5'8" riders. That is different from most other pivot models as that size rider usually falls under the small frame. I was going to order one but now am confused about which size to order. Hopefully we will start to hear from the Interbike crowd soon.

Ken, what size are you riding?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hi
    back at post 16 I ask him this and then ask for more fit details of his ride, check it out.
    Short answer he's 5'8,29 inseam and on a med.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast