mtbr member

E Thirteen TRS+ on Firebird?

Hello,
    Does anyone know if you can replace the stock MRP chain guide on the Firebird with the E Thirteen TRS+ Dual Guide (with the Turbocharge bashguard)?

Or possibly the new MRP 2X with the dual pulley?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Pivotal figure
    The stock guide on the Firebird is machined to allow clearance for the floating front der. mount. Any ISCG05 style guide will mount on the frame as a 1x setup BUT you'll have to do a fair amount of grinding to get it to clear the floating der. for dual ring setup.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Thanks Ken,
    I should just pull the crank off and have a look at the MRP guide.

My chain refuses to pop up on the larger portion of the MRP roller when switched into granny gear. It just rubs against the larger portion of the roller and makes an awful noise.
    Any idea of how I can adjust it to make it pop up on the top of that roller when shifting into smaller ring up front?

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by TJmackie View Post
    Thanks Ken,
    I should just pull the crank off and have a look at the MRP guide.

My chain refuses to pop up on the larger portion of the MRP roller when switched into granny gear. It just rubs against the larger portion of the roller and makes an awful noise.
    Any idea of how I can adjust it to make it pop up on the top of that roller when shifting into smaller ring up front?
    I've noticed my chain hits against the little metal rivets in the big ring while in the little ring because of how the roller pulls it. I can't tell, but it seems like that's how it was designed, because the chain appears undamaged, but the rivets look rubbed down, and one is missing. They keep the chain from actually contacting the big ring by the tiniest bit. However, it doesn't contact where the rivet is missing. I'm wondering if making the roller channel wider will allow it to slide over in the correct place, but also keep it secured. Since these seem to pick up the chain when shifting, I'd worry about wearing them down too much though, as long as they still contact when shifting, assuming it's not the rollers job to pull the chain over.
    Last edited by StuLax18; 03-02-2013 at 08:26 PM.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Pivotal figure
    I've found that fine tuning the position of the pulley wheel can make all the difference in getting the chain to transfer smoothly form the groove to the upper portion of the roller. I've had good results by adding a second washer between the roller and the guide plate to space the roller further away from the frame. It only takes a little bit of extra space to get things working smoothly, I think the "butter" zone is about 2mm of extra width.

ZEN RIDER!
    I've decided to get rid of granny gear as I never use it.
    What is a good option for a single ring?
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    I've been happy with the E13 LG1+ on my Firebird running a 1x10 set up.

Pivotal figure
    Ditto on the E-13, super smooth and easy to setup. If you ride in muddy conditions the pulley can get bound up with gunk unless you remember to clean it after every ride.

mtbr member
    Im thinking of going 1x 10 on my fb too. Since I've never run 1x 10 i was thinking of a 32t with the lg1. Anyone have this setup ?
    Is it difficult to install?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Set up is pretty easy. Take all the front derailleur stuff off. Bolt it on, fiddle with the rotation of the plate a bit, fiddle with the top and lower guide positions and tighten everything up. I ran my LG1+ with a 34 tooth initially and then changed to a 32 tooth chainring. No problems with either.

ZEN RIDER!
    This looks promising as I need new cranks also.
    e*thirteen LG1+ Crank

On a side note anyone try the New Race face atlas? I heard they redesigned the crappy bottom bracket. Still don't like the ankle biter design though.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Thanks. Think I'll go with the 32. I've yet to take the cranks and bottom bracket off. On the site it says it's a 92mm. Anything special i need to do this?

ZEN RIDER!
    Anyone try running a basic chain guide with just a clutch derailleur?
    (no idler pulley)
    About to put in a parts order and i'm driving myself nuts deciding what to do.
    Zee with lg1+ or slx with bash guard, no granny and a basic chain guide.
    OR
    slx single ring with lg1+. saves over a third of a pound
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm running a xt shadow+ whith a Blackspire Stinger on a 2x10 with bash guard and have never dropped a chain since installing the shadow+.
    I could probably get away with not running the stinger but can't be arsed taking it apart.

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried one of the chainrings such as wolftooth for a 1 x 10 setup that requires no guide ?
    I see they make a 30t chainring. That interests me since my FB weighs about 35lbs. Drop a little weight and a little easier to pedal than the 32t I was considering.