mtbr member

Dropper cable routing for Firebird

Curious to know how people are routing their cables for droppers posts on Firebirds. I recently put a thomson on and routed it on the drive side cable guides on top tube then back under the linkage to non drive side since that is the side where the actuation lever is. I've noticed the cable getting pushed foward and tightening as the suspension becomes more active on the downhills, causing it to not raise all the way. Sorry for the lengthy explanation and I hope this makes sense but I cant seem to post any pics right now. Thanks.

Proud Thunderchicken ownr

150mm KS Supernatural on Large Firebird

I run my cable in the middle channel under the top tube. Then pass it under the brake hose to the left and up.
    When I drop the saddle, the cable bows down but not out. The brake hose sends it at the optimum angle.

Sorry, having issues with photos ... bear with me.

Seat raised :

Seat lowered :

Common sense is not so common - Voltaire
    Never underestimate your own ignorance - Me

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting thoses pics. I had mine zip-tied to the rocker with the rear brake hose. Seemed like it was getting sucked into the area above and in front of the rocker, taking the slack out of the cable. I'll give that a try when i'm up and running.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I had the same problem

seatpost cable routing on firebird?

Make sure the seatpost cable clears the rear shock valve.
    If the cable is too short it might get caught by the valve when the shock is compressed

Proud Thunderchicken ownr
    Every once in a while I find the seat post will not stay up. It is always the case that the cable has snagged the valve cap or ProPedal lever of the DHX Air.
    Common sense is not so common - Voltaire
    Never underestimate your own ignorance - Me

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by btibben View Post
    Every once in a while I find the seat post will not stay up. It is always the case that the cable has snagged the valve cap or ProPedal lever of the DHX Air.
    Try a longer cable and make a larger loop.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Just got the KS eTen put on, and I guess they size the housing so that you can route it along the down tube because I have A LOT of extra housing and don't know where to put it. It's cable actuated, so I tried to wrap it around the seatpost but that seems to affect the cable. Mine came with a little 90 degree piece at the lever that made for a clean routing, but also added an extra few inches. I took this off and it definitely looks better. Only 100mm of travel so it doesn't fall down too far either. Only issue is now I have extra cable sticking out at the lever that I don't want to cut off yet in case I can find a way to use the 90 degree piece. I know the cable is just like shifter cable so I could just buy a new length exactly what I need, but is the housing the same also? It has those plastic end pieces that fit with the post and lever. I noticed in a suplemental piece of paper they show that the eTen uses much less excess cable than posts such as the Supernatural.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member

Re: Dropper cable routing for Firebird

If I'm not mistaken, just trim the cable and housing to the proper length at the post end. All the housing and cable fittings should come off and be able to go on the freshly cut ends. Maybe I'm not understanding your problem correctly. They just provide you enough length to accommodate larger frames.

Specialized Epic 29
    Intense Tracer 29

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Ok yeah you got it correct. I just couldn't tell if the ends of the housing were removable. Glad I didn't cut the cable yet. I'll check that soon and see if I can get the housing ends off.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Ok, checked it out and after a bit of tugging I got the housing end to come off and shortened up the cable and got the attachment back on. I read about you guys having the cable snag on the shock and I noticed mine was so I gave it enough slack that it sits right below at full height.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    Or you can use this post LEV Integra ? KS | Get Down and Dirty
    It have internal cable routing and bottom of FB's seat tube there is a little hole, what you can use for cable routing

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by StuLax18 View Post
    Ok, checked it out and after a bit of tugging I got the housing end to come off and shortened up the cable and got the attachment back on. I read about you guys having the cable snag on the shock and I noticed mine was so I gave it enough slack that it sits right below at full height.
    Keep in mind that the shock moves down when the suspension is compressed.
    You might need to give it a few more inches of slack.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by liranbachar View Post
    Keep in mind that the shock moves down when the suspension is compressed.
    You might need to give it a few more inches of slack.
    Hmm, that's a good point. I know it should have slack so that if it catches it's not going to yank on anything. Hopefully the seat will be lowered most of the times there's a big hit so it wouldn't matter anyway. I've forgotten at least twice though and had the seat meet me as I went over a couple drops.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird