mtbr member

Do I really need a chainguide?

I'm currently running an MRP Lopes on my M4x but am wondering if it really needed with the clutched Zee derailleur. Has anyone tried it?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I recently took a nice long ride on a Mojo HD with a clutched Shimano derailleur and no guide. I dropped my chain 4 times on that ride. YMMV

mtbr member
    Thanks Err, guess I'll leave mine on..

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Err View Post
    I recently took a nice long ride on a Mojo HD with a clutched Shimano derailleur and no guide. I dropped my chain 4 times on that ride. YMMV
    Err, was that bike set up single ring or double ring?
    Makes a big difference since the M4X is a single ring.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    Err, was that bike set up single ring or double ring?
    Makes a big difference since the M4X is a single ring.
    It was a triple. To be clear, I've ridden a couple setups w/clutches and w/o guides and they work well until you're haulin butt. With a guide they're awesome, no drop and no chain slap.

I've not tried a 1x in any form w/o a guide

mtbr member
    How one adjusts the clutch makes a difference as well. The tighter the better. I run 2x10 on my 5.7c and have only dropped from the 38 to the 26 a couple times since March, but was able to recover with a pedal stroke.. This is fast AM riding, along with SuperD and Enduro racing.

mtbr member
    I haven't dropped a chain on my 5.7 (2x10 XTR shadow plus with FSA 27/39t) in a long while now, Id say since late August.

What you can do is order an E13 XCX top mount system tied with the XTR shadow plus it should work awesome!

e*thirteen components

I like to ride bikes fast.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Err View Post
    Stole my response. I don't know if it had a clutched derailleur, but I kept having to do half pedals to keep the chain on.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

mtbr member
    OK, well I did some research and answered my own question. I really appreciate everyone's responses and High Titan the ethirteen looks sweet, but my main goal was to eliminate any chain rub caused by the guide. Probably my weak mechanic skills had something to do with that.

Bottom line is this; you do not need a chainguide when running 1x10 (clutched derailleur) on the M4x. I did a little experiment and took the upper guide and the lower pully off, leaving only the back plate. I took it dirt jumping/pump tracking and DSing yesterday, casing a few jumps as is my usual style, and no problems, not even a noise. Today I ran the same set up on 10 miles of trail, with some choppy high speed sections. Chain is secure. I'm taking the backplate off to save even more weight, seems like excess baggage and noise to me.

Pivotal figure
    Nice! I may do the same with mine. Of course then I'll have to get a "Taco" for some sort of bash protection....
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude