mtbr member
    Dec 2010

do i have a problem with my bike.

Hey, I've got a Garry Fisher HIFI Pro Carbon 2009.
    I've got the smallest clicking noise in one of the pivots.
    It could be the Fox RP23 I'm not sure but sounds like a pivot.

I lift the bike off the ground hit the back wheel and it clicks then drop it it clicks again does anyone know what this problem is?

Last time i had this problem it was a lose pivot.

I know i should just get out there and make the most of it but at the moment im having trouble with finance's so i can't afford for anything to go wrong.

hope to hear from you soon

yours sincerely
    Wayne

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frehgv
    Hey, I've got a Garry Fisher HIFI Pro Carbon 2009.
    I've got the smallest clicking noise in one of the pivots.
    It could be the Fox RP23 I'm not sure but sounds like a pivot.

I lift the bike off the ground hit the back wheel and it clicks then drop it it clicks again does anyone know what this problem is?

Last time i had this problem it was a lose pivot.

I know i should just get out there and make the most of it but at the moment im having trouble with finance's so i can't afford for anything to go wrong.

hope to hear from you soon

yours sincerely
    Wayne
    Your best bet is to take it in to the shop and have them take a look. Also, there is a Gary Fisher and another 'suspension' forum where you will probably get a better answer. This particular type of "pivot" forum is the brand name Pivot.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Ok, Many Thanks for the advise just signed up today

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    gticlay you have restored my faith in humanity with regards to the internet. I thought for sure there would be all sorts of rude remarks about how this was posted in the wrong place.

Good advice too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Apologies

Quote Originally Posted by fatcamper
    gticlay you have restored my faith in humanity with regards to the internet. I thought for sure there would be all sorts of rude remarks about how this was posted in the wrong place.

Good advice too.

Yer,
    I did not know what i was doing because i have literally just signed up to this website.

my apologies

Wayne.

mtbr member
    That's what I figured with 3 posts. One thing you can try is with the bike on the ground, lift up on the nose of the saddle very lightly and look carefully where the ends of the shock are connected to the frame. If you see (or feel) some movement you may just need new press in parts in the shock (called a DU bushing). They are a normal wear item and need to be replaced from time to time and since your bike is a 2009.... It's also possible that some, one, or all your pivot bolts are a little loose. They usually have a very specific torque that you tighten them to, so don't tighten them if you find a loose one - find out how tight they are supposed to be and either use a torque wrench or take it to the shop and ask them.
    "It looks flexy"

Bike Addiction

Good advice too.
    Yep what he said!
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Good advice too.
    I totally agree. I thought for sure when I read the first post there would be the typical smart ass remarks and a flame session. Everyone needs to start some where with the learning curve. Glad to see the gticlay was willing to help and point him in the right direction.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    That's what I figured with 3 posts. One thing you can try is with the bike on the ground, lift up on the nose of the saddle very lightly and look carefully where the ends of the shock are connected to the frame. If you see (or feel) some movement you may just need new press in parts in the shock (called a DU bushing). They are a normal wear item and need to be replaced from time to time and since your bike is a 2009.... It's also possible that some, one, or all your pivot bolts are a little loose. They usually have a very specific torque that you tighten them to, so don't tighten them if you find a loose one - find out how tight they are supposed to be and either use a torque wrench or take it to the shop and ask them.
    Yet again Terribly sorry for my mistake.
    Thank you for the advise you gave it's an 09 bike but i bought 5 - 6 months ago because the price dropped by 1200 and was happy to buy.
    I have had a look at the pivots and they are all tight and i done them up at the right torque
    Thanks for the help

yours sincerely
    Wayne

mtbr member

Good advice too.
    Oh sure, take the fun out of it! lol

I was going to post that there was something wrong, indeed... it's not a Pivot!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    [QUOTE=skiahh]Oh sure, take the fun out of it! lol

sorry i fully understand i posted this on wrong thread it was a mistake

Just want to know if i should leave it or get it fixed.

apologies
    wayne
    Last edited by frehgv; 12-02-2010 at 06:14 AM.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    frehgv - Wayne,

No apologizes needed. Newbies are welcome here!

Everyone back on your bikes please! nothing to see here!
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

too late to die young now
    I bet it's the RP23 body eyelet - there's an insert that gets 'wallered' out ... I replace it about twice a year. if you lift the nose of your saddle, do you feel some 'slop' or play? That's the eyelet bushing. Any decent shop can get a replacement for you ... probably should use a qualified mechanic since it has to be pressed in evenly

I hear there's a 'fancy' insert that uses a bearing instead of the plastic bushing ... I should look into it, maybe someone on this forume has seen or heard of these?

--ff
    \sigma_T\sigma_x \geq \tfrac{\hbar}{2m} \left|\left\langle p_x\right\rangle\right|.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Felton_Flyer
    I bet it's the RP23 body eyelet - there's an insert that gets 'wallered' out ... I replace it about twice a year. if you lift the nose of your saddle, do you feel some 'slop' or play? That's the eyelet bushing. Any decent shop can get a replacement for you ... probably should use a qualified mechanic since it has to be pressed in evenly

I hear there's a 'fancy' insert that uses a bearing instead of the plastic bushing ... I should look into it, maybe someone on this forume has seen or heard of these?

--ff
    Yep. Real World Cycling/Enduro has them. You can also buy the DU bushing tool from the classifeds for a low cost to replace the bushings yourself.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Yep. Real World Cycling/Enduro has them. You can also buy the DU bushing tool from the classifeds for a low cost to replace the bushings yourself.
    I don't think it's the bushings everything's tight secure and is working fine.
    I went to a load of bike shops and they all said its just a fraction of play in one of the pivots.

If it goes wrong I have a Warranty by them for not sorting it out

Yours sincerely
    Wayne

dog
    sit! stay!
    i've never had any suspension or linkage related bushings that would last more than 3 or 4 months...

it's nice to have a bushing free bike
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

Fat & Single
    Just as well you posted it here if it had been a pivot on a 29er on the 29er forum it would be 3 pages long now and 10000 views
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by frehgv
    I don't think it's the bushings everything's tight secure and is working fine.
    I went to a load of bike shops and they all said its just a fraction of play in one of the pivots.

If it goes wrong I have a Warranty by them for not sorting it out

Yours sincerely
    Wayne
    Try to make your shock bolts just that much more tight, it will likely go-away. Your bolts have comression-wear; weight leveraged by the Wheel is making the play. Tighten them both a good-amount and see.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jemima
    Try to make your shock bolts just that much more tight, it will likely go-away. Your bolts have comression-wear; weight leveraged by the Wheel is making the play. Tighten them both a good-amount and see.
    If I did the pivots up to tight or to loose it would brake the frame wont it?
    My frame is carbon but there the pivot joints are obviously aluminium.

Yours sincerely
    Wayne

banned
    Tightening the bolt to a slight over-torque, only to eliminate a source of slop and 'click', will not harm anything. Find the weak part, reset your Seat-Torque. Done, and done.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jemima
    Tightening the bolt to a slight over-torque, only to eliminate a source of slop and 'click', will not harm anything. Find the weak part, reset your Seat-Torque. Done, and done.
    Alright, Cheers Uncle Jemima.

Yours Sinserely
    Wayne