Paper or plastic?

Demoed a Mach 5.7 today

Size S, all XT, Float 140 fork, short stem (70-80mm ish), Nevegal tires. Props to Pivot for specing their demo bikes so well.

First of all, the Pivot guys were really cool.

I'm a very average week-end rider, and rode the bike for 1 hour ish. Went up the road, up some switch back, then down some fun steep single track, back to the road to the demo tent.

My impressions:
    - the bike pedals really well. Accelerates really quickly, almost effortlessly. It has to be the bike because I'm really out of shape these days.
    - it's plush enough going uphill. I've ridden a Mojo once before and it's really comparable. The suspension really shines when going over roots. It's nice change from my FSR bike. It does not hang on the square edges.
    - the bike was light (guessing 27 or less), but the front end wandered a bit on the steepest part. I think that the bike would be great with a Talas or other travel adjustable fork
    - downhill, the bike is almost too light, and the rear bounced a little bit on the rocky bits
    - I did not feel any flex, but then again, I'm not the most sensitive to it. Seems to me that the bike was pretty tight.
    - Plenty of standover clearance, which is nice if you're shorter to the ground like me.

Overall, it's a really sweet bike, and IMHO, needs a 150 fork to really shine. Definitely much more enjoyable to ride than the Mach 5 I tried a couples years back in the parking lot.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Nice report Zorg. Many people considered the old Mach 5 as a firm feeling, non plush bike. Is the 5.7 better is this regard?

How was it in the granny gear? When I have demoed mini-link bikes, my biggest complaint has always been with the granny gear climbs, where I could feel the chain tension and some oscillation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    How tall are you and did pivot set you up on a small? I am trying to decide between small or large.Thank

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by ED2525
    How tall are you and did pivot set you up on a small? I am trying to decide between small or large.Thank
    Small or Large? Hopefully you're considering the medium too

I'm 5'7" and the small fits me perfectly.
    MTBR wants you to know that I work here

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    oops, meant to say small or medium. My coffee had'nt kick in yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey

Are the frames shipping now? Also is there an option to choose the head set that will let me run a straight steering tube?
    Thanks

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey

I'm 5'7", and the small fit me just fine, although I could have used a slightly longer stem. On my Motolite, I run a 90mm stem on my S size frame.

@Vespasianus: I only demoed the first generation Mach 5 in a parking lot at Sea Otter 2-3 years ago, and the rear literally felt a like a hardtail. The 5.7 is plush, and rolls over roots and rocks really well. I put it on par with the Mojo (again, it's all fuzzy memory because the trials weren't back to back, etc.) but another rider on MTBR who rode them back to back said the same thing (do a search for Outerbike, Mojo, Mach 5.7 and you'll find the thread).

I did not detect any specific tugging in the granny. Then again, I'm slow and out of shape, so I'm not the best reviewer from that standpoint. Truth is that a rider in good shape will probably not use the granny that much. The bike is a friggin rocket. I was middle ringing on the road going up to the trailhead, and that's equipped with Nevegal which are known boat anchors.

As an aside, I probably gonna go with a 10 Spot frame. I value uber plushness over efficiency, but I'm guessing that most riders will just love the great mix of plushness/efficiency/lack of frame flex offered by the Mach 5.7.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun