mtbr member

decisions decisions....

I am currently riding a 2010 M5 and it's a great bike. next season however I would like to upgrade to something a bit lighter and plusher. I ahve a big birthday coming up in Jan and a new bike or frame is on the top of the list. so here's what I am trying to decide:
    I am quite curious about 27.5 and 29er wheels. It seems like this is the trend. Friends who have 29ers are staying with 29ers, and those on 26ers seem to be leaning towards 27.5 for their next bikes.
    My M5 has a real nice I9 torch trail wheelset on it, so I am tempted to stay with 26 and go the M5.7 carbon route. Unfortunately the wheels are prebuilt with I9 spokes so rebuilding with bigger rims is not really worth it.
    I would like to stay with pivot as I think they make the best bikes and I am a fan of the geometry/sizing, and of the dw link.
    here are my options:
    stay with 26 and buy a M5.7C frame, throw my I9 wheels on it and a RS pike fork
    sell the I9 wheelset and M5 and look for a suitable 27.5 bike (the M6 is probably too much bike for me as I am a xc rider)
    keep the M5 as is and buy a 29er
    I love the M5.7C but am worried it will be obsolete in a year...
    I'd love some feedback

mtbr member
    By the time you purchase next year Pivot might have a 27.5 shorter travel option for you. They have have a hardtail 27.5 (Les) and a longer travel 27.5 (M6) so the hole in their lineup is a shorter travel trail oriented 27.5. They probably didn't want to kill off the 5.7 until this 27.5 era was in full swing for sure.

You should try to demo a M6 if at all possible though. With a 150 fork it is not far off the 5.7c and a very efficient pedaler.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    went from 29 to 27.5 and am very happy. has just 'that much more' spunk than the 29" size. glad I went with M6

mtbr member
    big diff between 26 and 27.5 ??

dog
    sit! stay!
    i test rode a M6 and a M 5.7 back to back, and I would definitely get the M6 if choosing between the two. I am a 26er rider, and did not have any negative issues with the 27.5 wheels. Also, I have ridden 29ers and do not like them.

All that to say, I did not notice a big difference....
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Interesting. I think I will wait until spring to make any decisions. I guess I am just concerned that if I do decide to go 27.5 my I9 wheelset will be wasted and/or worthless if I wait too long. I have the wheels posted in the classifieds but not sure i want to let them go yet. The M6 is a sick bike but I'm no enduro rider and $7k is an awful lot to spend on a new rig. M5.7 frames will probably be coming down in price as well with the 27.5 trend happening. A 5.7C with I9 wheels would be a sweet ride...

mtbr member
    I think with 2.3 Hans dampfs and a Pike or 34 a 5.7c is transformed into a very capable all mountain type bike and it would be that much closer to a Mach 6. With a Rev 32 and skinny racer boy tires its a lightweight trail bike. I think if you're comparing the two frames you need both set up similarly. I used to think my 5.7c was too much of a trail bike until I beefed it up a bit. I've also just sent the crappy ctd boost valve shock to avalanche which I'm hoping improves the square edged hits on the 5.7c.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishercat View Post
    I guess I am just concerned that if I do decide to go 27.5 my I9 wheelset will be wasted and/or worthless if I wait too long.
    I wouldn't base my decision on which ~$3k frame to buy on a $1k wheel set I happened to own. That said, I'm pretty sure I saw where someone had relaced their 26" I9's to a 27.5 rim- some of the deeper carbon 27.5 rims have the ERD of a typical 26" rim. Worth investigating if you like your wheels.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

74 & 29 pilot
    I went from 26" since 1993 to 27.5" two years ago and now on my first 29" since November. I had no problems with 26. I tried 27.5 on the front of my Firebird and then bought a Carbine which I rode as 26" until I build 650b wheels. Once I had a full set, I checked the fit on the rear of the FB, and WOW was I impressed with the difference in my already absolute favorite bike. The Carbine is a great bike and even better with 27.5" wheels. I live in rocky terrain in the SW, AZ, and the roll over difference, though slight, was immediately noticeable since I'm riding over chunk and loose rock all of the time. I've had a couple of injuries and was off the bike for 7 months. In the mean time, I decided to slow my roll a bit with less suspension and more XC/trail oriented bikes. I bought my first 29er, a 429c, because I love Pivot and they truly make the best bikes; It had great reviews and felt like my Carbine fit wise. I have built mine with a LEV 150 dropper, MRP 2x guide/bash, 70mm stem, 750mm Havoc bars and Derby wide rims with Schwalbe 2.35/2.25 tires and it sits at 28.5lbs. I've tried other 29ers before and NEVER liked them...AT ALL. The 429c is amazing and I feel that it is just as fast, nimble and sturdy as my FB and Carbine were. Less suspension, but I'm still not using all of it in the chunk and a couple of 2' jumps and drops. The bigger contact patch really provides tons of confidence in the loose over hard here in AZ and I feel like I can weave/swerve just as quickly in the tight stuff as any other bike I've owned. Yes, the 29" wheels go over everything easier, and I don't notice a difference in acceleration; Maybe I just get on the gas harder. I have all of the lighter bits to make this a good XC and racing machine, but my every day here requires "beefier." I'm now ordering a LES 29 that I'm going to run 1X10 and SS(to build strength and fun factor) and start racing in endurance event... eventually.

You can't go wrong with any bike from Pivot, IMO. I'd say wheel size is mostly what you feel comfortable on and what terrain you ride; On groomed trails in the Midwest or Florida all three sizes roll as well on smoother ground. I think you should demo all three sizes, 5.7, 6, 429c and go with the one that feels best. I don't think the 5.7 is going anywhere; I heard two people at the demo in Nov. say they preferred the 5.7 over the 6, after demoing both.

Good luck and you can't go wrong with any Pivot bike!
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Tell me more about the carbine. if I do go 27.5 it's at the top of my list. sizing on intense is not great for me though. at 5'6" I am in between small and medium. Pivot's small fits me perfect.

74 & 29 pilot
    The Carbine is a great bike, but the FB 27.5 and I'm sure the M6 are better bikes. I like the DW Link much better than the VPP suspension design. The way it springs you off rocky step-ups when climbing and doesn't have a rear wheel getting caught up when descending feel. Frame and geo are good on the Carbine, but I ABSOLUTELY hate the cable routing and trying to cover the VPP link to protect it from all the rocks around here.

Go with the bike that fits best.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/