Thread: decals

mtbr member

decals

Thinking of changing the decals on my FB. Any tips on the process. They seem like they're on there pretty good. Thanks

Pivotal figure
    Patience! I've done several and haven't found any magic bullet for getting it done. A little heat will help soften the adhesive but can also make it very goopy (low heat, like a hairdryer). After getting the decal itself off I just use a lot of thumb rolling. WD-40 works amazingly well as a solvent and doesn't hurt the finish, just be sure you use a non-abrasive rag (even some paper towels will scour the paint enough to show lines)
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

obsessive
    +1 Heat gun. Clean up the goop with trichloroethane (chlorinated brake cleaner), goo gone, acetone, wd-40... whatever your preference is or whatever your nose can tolerate. The coat is real tough, but do not use methylene chloride (dichloromethane) unless you want a bare aluminum finish...
    Go out and ride your bike

Appalachian Singletrack'n
    Did mine a when my warranty frame arrived. Heat was a little help for getting the bulk of the film off (heat gun). The residue left behind was the tough part. Goo-gone was a nightmare, it just spread the mess around and did little to get it up. Acetone gave similar results. Of all things WD-40 was the most helpful for final clean up but the best thing for getting the bulk of it up was just rolling it off with my finger tips. i about wore all the skin off one finger tip the first day i worked on it and then decided to do a little at a time over a couple of days. Thats got to me the thickest frame sticker i've ever seen, allot like helicopter protective tape which I'm sure was the idea. If the graphics weren't to euro-roadie awful i would have left them on.

mtbr member
    I'm starting to think i can live with the red. Thanks for all the tips.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by broccoli rob View Post
    I'm starting to think i can live with the red. Thanks for all the tips.
    Yeah I still haven't changed mine and I've had the bike a month. I can't decide if it's good or bad that I saw this thread.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled