mtbr member
    Jul 2013

"De-swooshing" a carbon Pivot?

Love the carbon frame design, dislike the random graphic elements. Not the Pivot branding - that doesn't bother me. Just the weird and random little arrows and swooshes Pivot likes to cover their frames in. I like elegant simplicity, like you see on the Santa Cruz bikes. Wondered if I could achieve that on a Pivot frame.

Are the "raw" colors (raw red and raw blue) really unpainted carbon except for the graphics? And if so, is there a way to remove some of the graphics? Sand them off? Some sort of paint remover? Anything? If only they were peel-able decals...

mtbr member
    There are several people on the Ibis forum that have stripped their bikes. May want to look around over there.

mtbr member
    Can't be removed without screwing up your top coat, which then exposes the raw carbon (which was sanded before the clear coat), but is something you don't want exposed. That and the bike will look all pock marked. I suppose you could go to a carbon repair house and see if they'll strip down the frame and apply a new clear coat. But then you are into a warranty grey area. Thing is, when riding one doesn't notice the graphics. Enjoy the superior ride and don't stress the graphics (function over form in this case).

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Simplicity is just to ride your bike and not be concerned about what it looks like,function is the hidden beauty and not the on the surface.like JMW503 said,you should not be noticing the graphics.

mtbr member
    Buy the new murdered out Mach6

"De-swooshing" a carbon Pivot?-mach6.jpg
    I like to ride bikes fast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    Simplicity is just to ride your bike and not be concerned about what it looks like,function is the hidden beauty and not the on the surface.like JMW503 said,you should not be noticing the graphics.
    You don't notice the exterior of your car when you're driving either, but that doesn't mean you're ok with a big firebird decal on the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by HighTitan View Post
    Buy the new murdered out Mach6
    If they offered a 429 in that finish I'd be all over it.

mtbr member
    You can easily remove the graphics and you will not damage the frame. You are not going to expose fibers or anything like that. The first thing to try is 90%+ isopropyl alcohol. That will generally do the trick. The graphics are screened on or at most under a clear coat. They are not under the beauty coat of carbon which is the top weave that you see. The actual structural carbon is below the top weave that you see. Personally I would not mess with the clear coat if the alcohol trick does not work, but that is just me. If you want an expert to do it check out Joe Carbon Frame Repair in San Marcos, CA.

Carbon Fiber Bike Frame Repair

They do a bunch of custom work that is pretty awesome.

dog
    sit! stay!
    so, in the spirit of "there is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people who ask them..." here's my question... why can't you just paint over the graphics?
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

Pivotal figure
    There is actually a glossy coat under the matte finish so it would end up being shiny if you sand down too far. The swoops aren't quite random though, it's all part of the "bird" logo....
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    You can paint over it without issue

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHotFuzz View Post
    Love the carbon frame design, dislike the random graphic elements. Not the Pivot branding - that doesn't bother me. Just the weird and random little arrows and swooshes Pivot likes to cover their frames in. I like elegant simplicity, like you see on the Santa Cruz bikes. Wondered if I could achieve that on a Pivot frame.

Are the "raw" colors (raw red and raw blue) really unpainted carbon except for the graphics? And if so, is there a way to remove some of the graphics? Sand them off? Some sort of paint remover? Anything? If only they were peel-able decals...
    Buy a Santa Cruz then

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    That stuff is not coming off with alcohol or probably anything else. Seems like there is a matte clear sprayed over the whole thing. Get the carbon/blue model and enjoy an awesome bike...I love mine!

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Not sure why you would want to mess with them, but if they really bother you that much keep them covered in a thin layer of mud. When enough wears off that they start to bother you again, reapply.

An yes, I would love to drive a car with a firebird on the hood. It would look awesome with my ironic mustache!
    - 2013 Pivot Mach 429 C
    - 2010 Niner MCR
    - 2009 Cannondale Super Six HM
    - 2007 Santa Cruz Super Light

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmack View Post
    An yes, I would love to drive a car with a firebird on the hood. It would look awesome with my ironic mustache!
    As would I. But only if it was the obnoxiously large 6.6 liter V8.