Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Creaking Mach ?

Jamin, Applesause, No?

New question here. Creaking Mach ?

Who here has had a creaking Mach 5 or 4 or 429 frame? What was creaking and how did you fix it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Where is it creaking from. Chances are its the press fit BB.

Not just famous; infamous
    Had a pedaling-related creak two rides ago. Pulled apart the cranks and pedals, cleaned and regreased everything, put it back together. Pulled the seat post, and cleaned and greased the post, saddle rails and QR. Also checked the headset and pivot bolt tightness.Took it out on the next ride and the damn thing's still creaking!

On a whim, I loosened the rear skewer, reset the wheel and tightened the skewer back down. No more creaking.

Check the rear wheel first. I'm just sayin'...

Black Lion
    Recently had an annoying creak on my Mach 5. The noise would only occur while pedaling under power. Went through my normal checklist top to bottom, still the creak persisted. On a last resort I changed out the lower shock eye let bushing and creak gone. Three hard rides later all is still quiet.
    The point I am trying to make is sometimes you need to think outside the box,
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The creaks I've had were the seat post and the two large bolts that go through the DW-link. After a regreasing everything has been quiet.

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Most likely it is not the press fit BB. Our Demo fleet after hundreds of rides rarely have creaking issues at the BB. On other systems like BB30 you are likely to draw this conclusion, but on our system this isn't an issue. Our customer service line doesn't report customers calling about creaking BB units, if they do, it turns out to be a creaking pedal, headset or other item.

I always recommend to perform a tune and clean on your bikes - most of us MTB riders neglect our bikes and don't clean them as often as we should. We suggest a thorough cleaning at least 2 times a year - more if you are in muddy areas... See the link below for our suggestions.

http://www.pivotcycles.com//up/file/...es-washing.pdf

If the noise is still persistent after you perform the above cleaning, I suggest that you start from the front of the bike and work your way back - cleaning and adjusting every item - even remove rotors and cleaning your hubs etc. This will insure that you have cleaned and adjusted every possible surface that could squeak.
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    "the two large bolts that go through the DW-link"
    This is where mine had some major creaks originating. 2009 M5. There was some corrosion on the pins, cleaned and greased it up and its been very quiet since. Had to pull both the crank and the FD to take them out.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I have pulled everything apart regreased and tightened to spec and I put a new seat post on it. My B-day was sunday and my wife bought me the new Reverb.
    The creaking persists under heavy pedaling. I reset the rear wheel and tightened it down. The only thing I have not checked yet are the bushings.
    The creaking happens while sitting or standing.
    How do you know if it is one of the bushings?

I am Doctor Remulak
    Dd you pull the cassette and apply a light layer of grease before reinstalling? This has solved a hard to find creak for me in the past.
    MTBR wants you to know that I work here

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey View Post
    Dd you pull the cassette and apply a light layer of grease before reinstalling? This has solved a hard to find creak for me in the past.
    No I did not but I will do that tonight!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    My six month old 429 has that painfull creak for 2 months now, worst on climbs and I am guessing it is the bottom linkage as I have replaced the bottom bracket which seized up after 5 muddy months of use by a 120kg rider.
    I am taking it into the work shop latter this week so will report back the cause of the creakedy squeak.
    Strongy

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey View Post

Pulled it the other night , lubed it up. Rode it on Friday and there was no creaking noise.... AWESOME.... THANKS!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Most of the creaks on my 429 have been from the seatpost. I regularly take it out, clean it and grease it and it's fine.

I do have a new and strange creak that I intially thought was from the headset. As it turns out, it's from the crown/steerer on the Fox fork. The sound resonates through the entire bike so it was hard to tell where it's coming from. According to the shop who spent hours trying to find it, it's safe to ride. I guess it's out of warranty so I'm not sure if I want to fork (pardon the pun) out $200 to fix it.

Update 7/12 - I spoke with Fox customer service. It looks like they may fix it under warranty. Shipping it back and crossing my fingers.
    Last edited by rtcage; 07-12-2011 at 12:42 PM.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    My cranks were the cause of a creak after about two months of ownership. Tightened, creak gone.

mtbr member
    Resurrecting an old thread rather than starting a new one.

I've done all of the above and still have a bad creak/ping when applying moderate to hard power. Regular pedaling, nada. Stomp it hard to accelerate on a flat and it's there. Point the bike up and start really grinding up and it's getting so annoying, I don't want to ride the bike anymore!

The only thing I haven't done is remove the fork, but I did check all the bolts for correct torque.

I've disassembled, cleaned, greased and re-torqued every pivot, bolt and moving part. I had the bottom bracket replaced (under Shimano warranty, since one side was notchy). Tightened the seatpost and rear skewer. Pulled the cassette and greased the receiver. Pulled the hub apart and greased/repacked that, too.

I haven't swapped pedals with another set, but I did pull them apart and clean and repack them (Frogs) with fresh grease.

The noise happens when standing or sitting. It doesn't matter whether I have weight on the handlebars, have weight off or even pull up the front wheel. But it only happens when applying power. I can plow through rough terrain that fully articulates both the rear and front suspension and it's quiet as a mouse, unless I'm going uphill over the same terrain.

I have Enve wheels, but haven't tested spoke tension. Could loose spokes (pretty rare on the Enves, from what I understand) make it creak/ping like this?

I'm still in my warranty period (through December), but the LBS wants to charge me $20/hour to go through all this again and see what they can find. Except the BB, of course, because they did that replacement.

I understand noise travels through an Al frame, but with that in mind, it definitely sounds like it's coming from the bottom bracket/main pivot area to me and to riding buddies.

I've even looked for cracks and don't see any.

What else can I check before calling Pivot for their help?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006
    Do you know if they used loctite when installing the BB?
    If they used grease, there is a chance that the BB is moving under you pedal load.
    You may want to check that.
    Daniel
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Here we go....according to Pivot, the BBs rarely creak and ultimately mine didn't.
    My 429 has creaked in the following areas. I will also list the obvious.
    1. seatpost
    2. maybe seatpost collar. I always lube it when I lube the seatpost
    3. seat. Replaced it with a seat that creaked, which led me to loctite my seat post. Incredibly stupid. This was on my SS.
    4. loose main pivot
    5. propagation of frame crack from loose main pivot
    6. thru axle/bolt needing lube
    7. Ritchey headset
    8. pedals on another bike, but the source was obvious
    9. and lastly, a loose XO crank. The XO and my E13 on my SS requires mucho torque. The XO creak was a beast to discover and I thank my mechanic for finally solving the problem. This was no consistency on how it presented, but typically under power and going up. This was after we did everything you have done. It did come back, and I discovered that approxiamately 50nm of torque is a lot. I did have an old Shimano that creaked a little on my SS, but ultimately the splines wore out, the crank arms would loosen and the BB cups would start to back out. I was shocked. I didn't a Shimano crank could wear out

My ENVEs didn't creak, even with broken spokes from corroded nipples. My 429 ranks up there with my Ventana as being the quietest bikes I have owned and I am a clyde.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    Do you know if they used loctite when installing the BB?
    If they used grease, there is a chance that the BB is moving under you pedal load.
    You may want to check that.
    Daniel
    Thanks, Daniel - I did not ask them, but I will. I don't think the old BB was causing the creaking, but when I had the cranks out, it was ratcheting (the drivetrain side), so obviously needed to be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    Here we go....according to Pivot, the BBs rarely creak and ultimately mine didn't.
    My 429 has creaked in the following areas. I will also list the obvious.
    1. seatpost Have previously cleaned and coated with grease. Am going to do it again, just to be sure.
    2. maybe seatpost collar. I always lube it when I lube the seatpost Ditto
    3. seat. Replaced it with a seat that creaked, which led me to loctite my seat post. Incredibly stupid. This was on my SS. Good point. I will try a different seat, though if my fizik is creaking, I'm going to be pissed! But given that it does it even when standing, I don't think it'll be the seat. And no locktite on the seatpost; not any color! lol
    4. loose main pivot Checked and rechecked. Plus cleaned and greased.
    5. propagation of frame crack from loose main pivot Fingers crossed, but I haven't seen any sign of a crack so far.
    6. thru axle/bolt needing lube No more through axle; I have a Lefty and the axle is greased
    7. Ritchey headset Replaced with a King from the lunchbox kit, so unlikely unless it was installed incorrectly (same shop that did the BB). Hmmm.....
    8. pedals on another bike, but the source was obvious I need to swap pedals to check. They were making a noise, but once I repacked them with grease, it went away. I suppose it could be back and they need to be replaced completely.
    9. and lastly, a loose XO crank. The XO and my E13 on my SS requires mucho torque. The XO creak was a beast to discover and I thank my mechanic for finally solving the problem. This was no consistency on how it presented, but typically under power and going up. This was after we did everything you have done. It did come back, and I discovered that approxiamately 50nm of torque is a lot. I did have an old Shimano that creaked a little on my SS, but ultimately the splines wore out, the crank arms would loosen and the BB cups would start to back out. I was shocked. I didn't a Shimano crank could wear out I've had them off a couple of times and they're cranked down, but it certainly makes sense, given where the noise is coming from. I can pull them, regrease them and crank them down again.

My ENVEs didn't creak, even with broken spokes from corroded nipples. My 429 ranks up there with my Ventana as being the quietest bikes I have owned and I am a clyde.
    It used to be the quietest bike I've owned (until the I9 based rear hub came along), but this creaking - fairly recent - is just driving me crazy! For what it's worth, I'm a clyde, too.

Thanks for the suggestions! What else might I be missing? What else has anyone seen, heard or found??
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

change is good
    Sep 2004
    The thru axle was a rear 10mm on my first 429. The BB was replaced twice. My mechanic used lube for the install, so I destroyed a perfectly good BB when I removed it and replaced it with another with locktite. That's when I discovered the axle as being the cause. The same creak appeared from my new 142 axle, but hey, I caught that one quick.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I read that a common culprit is the rear derailleur hanger. Either where the derailleur mounts or where the hanger mounts, to sure which. That would makes sense under heavy power....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    The thru axle was a rear 10mm on my first 429. The BB was replaced twice. My mechanic used lube for the install, so I destroyed a perfectly good BB when I removed it and replaced it with another with locktite. That's when I discovered the axle as being the cause. The same creak appeared from my new 142 axle, but hey, I caught that one quick.
    Hmmm... I'm not sure what the rear on mine is. I always thought it was a 9mm with that DTS ratchet system. But it's not a "thru axle" if I can remove it without taking the axle out, right? Whatever it is, it does loosen up just enough to add to the noises, though, and I don't much like it. That's the first thing I check and it frequently needs tightening, but that doesn't quiet the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash-VR View Post
    I read that a common culprit is the rear derailleur hanger. Either where the derailleur mounts or where the hanger mounts, to sure which. That would makes sense under heavy power....
    Thanks, Crash - I hadn't even thought of that. I'll clean, grease and reinstall mine and see if that helps.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    This problem started to occur recently for me and my mach 5. It was perfectly silent until the last month or so. I do admit I have washed a couple of times. What I noticed is if you just pounce up and down sitting on the bike and compressing the shock there is no creak. Once I do go out and pedal up hill with pressure there is a creak. Now off the bike, if you hold the brake and rock the bike forwards and backwards, the creak happens. I think its in the lower pivot. At first I thought it was in rear hub or qr but its not.

change is good
    Sep 2004

Creaking Mach ?

Try lubing the shaft of the bolt if you haven't yet.

mtbr member
    I had a creak related to not having grease around my headset bearings (the bearings were fine internally by where they interfaced with the headset it creaked on weight shift and pedal strokes. The sound didn't sound like it was coming from the headset at all, but wiping all the bits clean and reassembling with a tacky grease solved it for me.

Another point of creaks for my has been the shock mounting hardware when I was running a RS Monarch Plus. I'm running the same hardware now in my RP23 with complete silence. Cleanliness, proper torque and a bit of high quality grease seem to work wonders.

mtbr member
    Well crap. Took the crank off to clean and regrease the lower pivot bolt and what did I see?

Light wasn't good in the garage tonight and the macro mode may or may not be picking it up, but it looks like a small crack. Left side where the chain stay and that vertical piece come together.

I'll take a new look in the morning, with better light and after I scrub it with a toothbrush to make sure I'm not just seeing dirt in the weld seam. And take some more pics, too, with sunlight on things.

But if it's not a crack, then seat post, collar and pedals checked OK so far. Removing, cleaning, regreasing and retorqueing (or however you spell that!) the pivot bolts next.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Creaking Mach ?-smp7070852.jpg  

Creaking Mach ?-smp7070864.jpg  

www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast