Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Creaking Mach ?

mtbr member

Creaking Mach ?

Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluchs View Post
    Had a pedaling-related creak two rides ago. Pulled apart the cranks and pedals, cleaned and regreased everything, put it back together. Pulled the seat post, and cleaned and greased the post, saddle rails and QR. Also checked the headset and pivot bolt tightness.Took it out on the next ride and the damn thing's still creaking!

On a whim, I loosened the rear skewer, reset the wheel and tightened the skewer back down. No more creaking.

Check the rear wheel first. I'm just sayin'...
    may be some sand & dust inside the lower pivot bearing assembly... i had the same issue with my 429c (i've posted the issue at 429c thread). my lbs thought it's the bearing issue & they've ordered replacement bearings for my bike. but when they're about to replace it, the mechanic found a lot of sand around the bearing assembly. he cleaned & it's sound free. i asked "that thing is exposed to mud & dirt, for sure it could happen again." the mechanic told me that they did something and assured me that it wont happen again.
    PIVOT

mtbr member
    Well, after cleaning I couldn't be sure it was a crack, so I took it to the LBS who went through the same steps as I did and they couldn't definitively say whether it was a crack or not. They're willing to box up the rear triangle and ship it off to Pivot, but I'm going to finish this part by part relubing and retorquing first, just to be sure.

This is driving me crazy!
    Last edited by skiahh; 07-11-2013 at 10:53 PM.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Ok, I'm reaching,but here goes
    - I found a 1cm crack at the top of my Tallboy carbon seat tube when I removed the seat post when the bike was wet. It happened again on the warranty triangle.
    - The seat tube of my Scalpel carbon ovalized. Who knew?
    - Try a different post and/or new seat if you haven't before
    - New or old cleats
    - Shoe sole contacting pedal
    - Or just suck it up, you're a clydesdale! Our bikes are supposed to creak. Do you miss your alloy 429 yet? Just messin with you. My experiences with the multiple Tallboys and Cannondale's lack of response has traumatized me forever to the point that I need therapy. Good luck

11 is one louder than 10
    First Tallboy - cracked the rear end at a lower pivot, subsequently cracked the seattube as did Don. Had that bike 1 season.

Second Tallboy (really dig tallboys) - one season, only cracked the carbon link of all things.

Have not cracked my pivot, and I believe (hoping, praying) that it turned out to be a creaky crown on my fox fork (which would be no shock as I've had several).

I did clean my rear pivot and still had the creaking, but now think it might have been the fork.

Tallboy was always dead quiet, I'll give it that. I'd also have no problem owning another as SC was always great.

But had a ride today with my other fork on the bike and it was pretty quiet. Trying not to over analyze it. Adore how the bike rides though.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    OK. Might have been the front bolt on the main pivot. It was pretty dry and a LOT tighter than I set it when I had it apart last time. After cleaning, regreasing (with a thicker grease, I'll add) and re-torquing it sounded mostly quiet. A fresh coat of chain lube cleared up the last of the noise and now - for the time being - it's nice and quiet again. Woohoo!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Got to take it out on a shakedown cruise today (lots of rain recently) and while it's a lot quieter, the creak/ping is still there at times. Ugh! Fork coming off next for cleaning, relubing and reinstallation.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

11 is one louder than 10
    Well,

No doubt this is really frustrating.

I changed my fork and that helped a bit, I had a double whammy going on as I had a fox fork with the dreaded creaky crown. I seem to hit at about a 50% rate on fox fork crowns creaking.

But, I still have a consistent creak remaining. I've basically at this point torn the entire bike down and rebuilt it. If it can be cleaned and greased - I've done it. Changed pedals even.

I can seem to quiet it down for a ride but it comes back so quickly. Incredibly frustrating.

I love how this bike rides. Quite possibly my favorite 29er yet. That said I hate creaks (i can deal with some here and there) but this is insane. I'm contemplating returning it to competitive cyclist and going with something else. Frankly, in the past I would have done that already as I've basically rebuilt the bike 2x, but the ride quality is that damn good so I'm really trying to sort this out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant View Post
    Well,

I changed my fork and that helped a bit, I had a double whammy going on as I had a fox fork with the dreaded creaky crown. I seem to hit at about a 50% rate on fox fork crowns creaking.

But, I still have a consistent creak remaining. I've basically at this point torn the entire bike down and rebuilt it. If it can be cleaned and greased - I've done it. Changed pedals even.

I can seem to quiet it down for a ride but it comes back so quickly. Incredibly frustrating.

I love how this bike rides. Quite possibly my favorite 29er yet. That said I hate creaks (i can deal with some here and there) but this is insane. I'm contemplating returning it to competitive cyclist and going with something else. Frankly, in the past I would have done that already as I've basically rebuilt the bike 2x, but the ride quality is that damn good so I'm really trying to sort this out.
    Have you given Pivot a call? Aaron B has been working with me to troubleshoot things and has had some good suggestions that I hadn't thought of.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

11 is one louder than 10
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Have you given Pivot a call? Aaron B has been working with me to troubleshoot things and has had some good suggestions that I hadn't thought of.
    Yes, pivot has been EXCELLENT in providing support.

mtbr member
    Well, headset disassembled, cleaned, lubed and reassembled. Still creaking. More of a pinging, I guess I should say.

Shock removed, bolts cleaned, greased and reassembled. Still pinging.

Crank bolts tightened. Still there.

Put a different rear wheel on and it's still there!

Even tightened up the water bottle bolts (top and bottom of the down tube). No joy.

Tomorrow, I'm going to remove the link (again) and replace it with the original link; I have a Lunchbox kit.

Anyone think of anything else at all???
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Looks like the culprit is the SL link from the Lunchbox. I have the original link installed right now and on a very short test ride this morning, it was nice and quiet. Longer ride later today or tomorrow to be sure.

The Pivot crew is heading to Dealer Camp (I got an email from them today - Sunday!), so I'll just ride the original link until they get back and we sort the rest out.

Thanks for the help everyone, and Pivot!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

11 is one louder than 10

Think... I think I found it.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant View Post
    Well,

Think I found it today - finally.

I believe it's coming from the XX1 rear derailleur of all things.

whenever pedaling or compressing the suspension (pedaling or not pedaling, it or out of the saddle) - creak.

held the right seatstay in my hand and compressed - felt it.

tried everything - still creaked.

Pulled the rear derailleur completely off - no creak.

man, while that would stink on one hand - I'm praying that is the case. Because I'm going to switch drivetrains here and see if that does it. I've seen a few other reports of creaky XX1 rear derailleurs... maybe this is one.

Here is hoping! Love this ride otherwise.

11 is one louder than 10
    guess I'm not the only one...

SRAM XX1 Noise Problem - YouTube

11 is one louder than 10
    Update. Just did my second creak free ride. I had a couple going on. The fox fork crown but that one was obvious.

The second appears to have been the rear dérailleur. I pulled it as mentioned. Cleaned the threads and the back surface of the mounting area aong with the der hanger. Liberally applied grease to the bolt and both mounting surface areas. Reinstalled and so far it's been dead silent. Great news as this bike rides so darn well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Creaky Fox fork?

Well, headset disassembled, cleaned, lubed and reassembled. Still creaking. More of a pinging, I guess I should say.

Shock removed, bolts cleaned, greased and reassembled. Still pinging.

Crank bolts tightened. Still there.

Put a different rear wheel on and it's still there!

Even tightened up the water bottle bolts (top and bottom of the down tube). No joy.

Tomorrow, I'm going to remove the link (again) and replace it with the original link; I have a Lunchbox kit.

Anyone think of anything else at all???
    What fork are you using?

After trying everything else mine was the steerer tube on my 2011 Fox fork. This is a known problem, just do a search creaking fox fork and you will find several pages worth of information.

Green loctite approach is working for me so far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendo View Post
    What fork are you using?

After trying everything else mine was the steerer tube on my 2011 Fox fork. This is a known problem, just do a search creaking fox fork and you will find several pages worth of information.

Green loctite approach is working for me so far.
    Thanks, I use a Lefty which doesn't make any noise. And the headset is tight.

It's the SL link from the Lunchbox link. Not sure whether it's the pins that go through it or the carbon insert coming loose, but with the original link installed, there's no creak anymore.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    OK, it was the SL link and/or pins.

Pivot was fantastic in helping me check some things I hadn't thought of and with ways to test them out. Ultimately, they asked me to send the link and pins back in for them to check out. They sent pins back because the old ones were on the high end of the diameter spec. They also replaced the bearings in the link and sent it back and now no noise with the blue bits back on the bike.

Great job Pivot, and thank you!!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Mach 4 creaking

Quote Originally Posted by Senor StrongBad View Post
    Who here has had a creaking Mach 5 or 4 or 429 frame? What was creaking and how did you fix it?
    Yep my Mach 4 has done this a few times, every time it has been the shock. The first time the shock 'can' was not tight (from brand new). Every other time it has been the rear shock bolt, where I have applied grease to the entire bolt, including where the shock bush pivots. Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    G'day,

Fox crowns are creaky per se. I had one replaced, with a promise that the newer one would not creak and guess what! yep the new one creaked.

Save yourself some pain and trouble and buy some Boe-shield or similar lube. Flip the bike over and rest it on the bars/saddle. Drip the Boe-shield down the stanction toward the stanction/crown interface so that it fills the gap- fox stanctions are press fitted into the crown and the lube fills that gap. Let the bike sit up sidedown for an hour or so to make sure the lube penetrates. This has solved the creaky fox crown on four pairs of my Fox forks- hope it works for you!

Quote Originally Posted by rtcage View Post
    Most of the creaks on my 429 have been from the seatpost. I regularly take it out, clean it and grease it and it's fine.

I do have a new and strange creak that I intially thought was from the headset. As it turns out, it's from the crown/steerer on the Fox fork. The sound resonates through the entire bike so it was hard to tell where it's coming from. According to the shop who spent hours trying to find it, it's safe to ride. I guess it's out of warranty so I'm not sure if I want to fork (pardon the pun) out $200 to fix it.

Update 7/12 - I spoke with Fox customer service. It looks like they may fix it under warranty. Shipping it back and crossing my fingers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Well crap. Took the crank off to clean and regrease the lower pivot bolt and what did I see?

Light wasn't good in the garage tonight and the macro mode may or may not be picking it up, but it looks like a small crack. Left side where the chain stay and that vertical piece come together.

I'll take a new look in the morning, with better light and after I scrub it with a toothbrush to make sure I'm not just seeing dirt in the weld seam. And take some more pics, too, with sunlight on things.

But if it's not a crack, then seat post, collar and pedals checked OK so far. Removing, cleaning, regreasing and retorqueing (or however you spell that!) the pivot bolts next.
    Just resurrecting this.

I had a pinging / creaking noise on my Mach 429 Carbon that only made a sound when climbing. It sounded like it was coming from the headset area.

I solved the problem by:

Removing seatpost and thoroughly cleaning post and clamp. I have a KS LEV seatpost so I used carbon paste and put that on the post before putting back in. I also rotated the seatpost clamp so that the screw faces away from all the dirt that kicks up from the rear tire. Caution: don't over tighten when using a KS LEV. It will interfere win the seat going up and down properly.

Loosened the the two blue Allen bolts that secure the rear shock, re greased those and tightened.

Loosened rear quick release and re greased rear axle and inside of dropouts. Re tightened rear quick release as tight as I could turn it.

Loosened rear derailleur hanger bolts and greased surface of rear derailleur hanger. Re tightened.

Disassembled entire front steering assembly and re greased all collars. Re assembled making sure headset was tightened properly (no wiggle).

One of those things fixed it. Entire process took about a half hour. If I had to guess what the problem was it would be the seatpost.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2