Special Lister

Cranks for a Phoenix

I have a stock set of Truvativ Descendant cranks on my Phoenix and want to replace. If you have a different set what do you have and do you like them?

Pivotal figure
    I run Saints on mine, pretty much the "Gold" standard. They do cost a bit more but the performance is worth it IMO....
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I went with RaceFace Atlas on mine. Haven't had a problem with RaceFace cranks yet (have had quite a few pairs). The fact that the Atlas matched my colour scheme (Green) also helped.

That said, if Shimano did Saint in other colours than their boring ass company colours ( ), then I'd go them for sure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Saints, perhaps a little bit boring, but you can't go wrong, also the most rigid crank I have ever used.

The only thing I would change on my phoenix, is to perhaps go to a 165 from a 170, I tend to 'just' clip obstacles with the pedal/crank all the time.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uphill=sad View Post
    Saints, perhaps a little bit boring, but you can't go wrong, also the most rigid crank I have ever used.

The only thing I would change on my phoenix, is to perhaps go to a 165 from a 170, I tend to 'just' clip obstacles with the pedal/crank all the time.
    I agree with this. Riding today I noticed the Phoenix seemed lower than other bikes I have ridden. Riding the same trail I just took the Glory on I kept hitting my toes on stuff. At one point I even jammed my foot into the ground. Part of this is because it wasn't very steep so I was pedaling through turns a lot.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I ran RF SIXC on mine, lovely and light as heck but certainly not a budget item. RF Atlas are had to fault if you like some color and as kenbentit mentioned, Saints are nearly infallible. So, Race Face or Shimano are the safe bets, pick your poison.

Special Lister
    Got a set of M815 Saints. Jenson sent the wrong set. I was supposed to get the M815 without rings and bash guard...that was the one on sale. Well they sent the one with ring and bash guard. Which is fine with me. I am just not sure if i wanna take the bash gaurd off and use my E13 system or leave the bash guard on and get a Blackspire stinger for a tensioner.