Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

comparing the Ripley to a 429c

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Dickbrown 
#1 ·
I had a chance to demo a Ripley on my local trails today. Im also looking at the 429c but don't know if ill be able to demo one. Has anyone ridden both and is able to compare them? Are they similar in that they are both DW link suspension designs or do they ride very differently?

The Ripley was very good but I can't say I was blown away by it. Not enough to hand over a chunk of coin for it. I'm 5'6" with a 28" instead and the demo bike I had was a medium. I'm not sure why but the frame felt cramped to me and I didn't feel balanced on it. A large would be too big and a small too small. The suspension (Fox float ctd) was just ok to me.

Is the 429 necessarily the same or are the similarities to the Ripley limited to just the DW link?

#2 ·
I always had 26 inch bikes, I decided to enter the world of the 29'ers and bought the Ripley and the 429c...

I had both at the same time for several months. For me both are almost the same, 20 mm in the rear suspension not affected. The Ripley frame is somewhat lighter. For your height would be better at 429c small because the standover is lower.

The performance is very similar, climbing, downhill, BUT the quality of the finishes in the 429c are much better , the route of the cables in Ripley should be better. I think DT Swiss rear axle is better over the RS maxle of Ripley.

After using both I realized that the 29'ers are not my thing, and put the two bikes for sale,few weeks ago sold the 429c and few days ago the Ripley ,I don't regret my decision , now I'll turn my Mach 5.7 c with 27.5 wheels and fork/shock and forget 29'ers.

#6 ·
The two bikes are very good for who likes the 29'ers, I prefer the fast, agile handling, a little less weight, a little jumps, changing lines, lifting the front wheel.... with neither felt comfortable.

That's my personal perception, obviously we all have different tastes.

The 27.5 are closer to 26 and expect good performance and fun.

#8 ·
I'm 5'8 with a 30" inseam, so longer legs but same torso as you. The small 429c fits me perfectly.

The BI review is similar to how I feel about the Pivot. I was convinced I didn't want a 29er, but the 429 is just a great bike, no matter the wheel size. Very confidence inspiring, I'm riding up and down things I never used to clear.

#9 ·
Pay attention to the sizing differences between the two. I'm 5'11" and fit perfectly on a L Ripley, on the 429 I'm a Medium. If you're looking for an aggressive trail bike you should try to find a Ripley to demo w the 140 fork. The stock 120 setup w Arch rims is way too XC racer for my taste and trails, but it may be spot on if that's what you're looking for.
I agree with the other review that the 429 is a 29er that just disappears beneath you and gets to work....

#10 ·
At 5'6" he's gonna have a hard time getting the handlebar low enough on a Ripley with a 140 fork to be able to have good cornering traction and not have the front end feel light on the climbs.

I agree with the OP that the Ripley's do seem to run about a size short. Probably why he felt cramped on the medium. The OP might want to look into the new Mach 4. It will probably be a lot easier to get a cockpit setup that handles well with the 27.5 setup, and the travel is right between the Ripley and 429. The top tube lengths are longer and almost 3" more standover for the mediums.

#12 ·
I test rode both and am close to the same size as OP. Felt too "in-between" on the 429c in a M and a S, M Ripley felt good but the comment about the 140 fork being too much was exactly my feeling. Was about to go Ripley with a Pike 130 until the Mach 4 Carbon announcement. Def waiting until these show up now...

The Mach 4 carbon looks like a good option, the problem is (as usual) that the small size is available until year end .
I have heard October for M4C's, you know different?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.