Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Paterfamilias
    Feb 2006

Clarifying Mach 429 Tire Clearance - from Chris Cocalis

Everyone:

We have had some questions regarding this thread and wanted to go on a set the record straight. First, in general we designed the new 429 to clear a wide variety of tires. Below is a pretty comprehensive list of tires that fit the 429 Alloy frames without any issues. When we redesigned the 429 AL, the new rear triangle we increased stiffness by over 20% and maintained proper tire clearance for the category.

We try our best to measure a wide variety of tires but (as most people know) sizes are all over the board and sometimes the height of the tire and the brand and/or width of rim that is used can create additional challenges. In the case of the Hanís Dampf, that tire is over 6mm taller than ANY other tire we tested regardless of stated size. It is not the widest tire but it doesnít fall into normal standards. However, as you can see from the below list, the WTB Weirwolf 2.55 clears and is actually lower in height (but wider in width) than some of the 2.2ís including the Slant 6. The Maxxis Ardent 2.35 also has great clearance. If you are looking for a more aggressive trail oriented tire for your current 429, there are some great choices and by no means is this the total list of tires that will fit. This is just our current list of tested and confirmed tires which will grow as we get more samples to check.

If you are looking at buying a 429 aluminum, you can rest assured that we have sold thousands of these bikes with the new design and have not had negative feedback as to tire clearance issues. We did experience a very small number of frames that went out without the proper tire clearance that only affected a handful of customers. We took care of these immediately and as far as we know, all bikes in the market should be at the proper specification. If anyone has an issue with clearance on any of the tires listed below, please contact us directly and we will correct the situation. As always, we stand behind our products and want our customers to know that we are here to help if questions arise.

Hutchinson Cobra 2.25 tubeless
    Kenda Slant Six 2.2
    Kenda Honey Badger 2.2
    WTB Wolverine 2.2 tubeless
    WTB Bronson 2.2 tubeless
    WTB Stout 2.3
    WTB Weirwolf 2.55
    Maxxis Ardent 2.35 tubeless
    Maxxis Ikon 2.2
    Conti Race King 2.2
    Conti Mountain King 2.2
    Specialized Eskar 2.3 tubeless
    Specialized Purgatory 2.2 tubeless

Sincerely,
    Chris Cocalis
    "The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face".
    Jack Handy

mtbr member
    This is very informative post. Thank you for sharing this well balanced list of tires that will fit nearly any terrain... As a 2010 429 owner, I have admitted envy of the statement 20% stiffer, especially after reading the frame is nearly 0.5 lbs lighter too.. . Great refinements by Pivot... showing their commitment to value-engineering and focusing on the important aspects "ride quality and performance"

Lets please keep this threat alive and contribute to the tire list... I would propose the moderator add this post as a STICKY..

Have a great ride this weekend..

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    Everyone:

We have had some questions regarding this thread and wanted to go on a set the record straight. First, in general we designed the new 429 to clear a wide variety of tires. Below is a pretty comprehensive list of tires that fit the 429 Alloy frames without any issues. When we redesigned the 429 AL, the new rear triangle we increased stiffness by over 20% and maintained proper tire clearance for the category.

We try our best to measure a wide variety of tires but (as most people know) sizes are all over the board and sometimes the height of the tire and the brand and/or width of rim that is used can create additional challenges. In the case of the Hanís Dampf, that tire is over 6mm taller than ANY other tire we tested regardless of stated size. It is not the widest tire but it doesnít fall into normal standards. However, as you can see from the below list, the WTB Weirwolf 2.55 clears and is actually lower in height (but wider in width) than some of the 2.2ís including the Slant 6. The Maxxis Ardent 2.35 also has great clearance. If you are looking for a more aggressive trail oriented tire for your current 429, there are some great choices and by no means is this the total list of tires that will fit. This is just our current list of tested and confirmed tires which will grow as we get more samples to check.

If you are looking at buying a 429 aluminum, you can rest assured that we have sold thousands of these bikes with the new design and have not had negative feedback as to tire clearance issues. We did experience a very small number of frames that went out without the proper tire clearance that only affected a handful of customers. We took care of these immediately and as far as we know, all bikes in the market should be at the proper specification. If anyone has an issue with clearance on any of the tires listed below, please contact us directly and we will correct the situation. As always, we stand behind our products and want our customers to know that we are here to help if questions arise.

Hutchinson Cobra 2.25 tubeless
    Kenda Slant Six 2.2
    Kenda Honey Badger 2.2
    WTB Wolverine 2.2 tubeless
    WTB Bronson 2.2 tubeless
    WTB Stout 2.3
    WTB Weirwolf 2.55
    Maxxis Ardent 2.35 tubeless
    Maxxis Ikon 2.2
    Conti Race King 2.2
    Conti Mountain King 2.2
    Specialized Eskar 2.3 tubeless
    Specialized Purgatory 2.2 tubeless

Sincerely,
    Chris Cocalis
    If by fit you mean less than 1mm of clearance to the cross brace on the swingarm, OK. I put a Specialize Purg 2.2 and Captain 2.2. If my wheel were not perfectly round, it would rub.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

dog
    sit! stay!
    Quote Originally Posted by dan23 View Post
    If anyone has an issue with clearance on any of the tires listed below, please contact us directly and we will correct the situation.
    ... sounds like a promise to correct that to me...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have a Ground Control 2.1 in the back and it does fit with a little daylight showing. I looked into switching out for the 2.3, but there is no way. That would have to be assigned to front tire duty.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by chargerfan View Post
    I have a Ground Control 2.1 in the back and it does fit with a little daylight showing. I looked into switching out for the 2.3, but there is no way. That would have to be assigned to front tire duty.
    Yep, my Ground Control 2.1 barely fit.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You can add the Kenda Nevegal 29X2.2 to the list. The wheel has to be perfect, but it does fit and so does the Geax AKA 29X2.2, but with even less room to spare.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    In my opinion one of the detractors from the 29er platform especially at longer travel is the length of the wheelbase. A long wheelbase means a longer turn radius. Clearly shortening the chainstays will have a positive effect on this and on overall stiffness but there are always tradeoffs. The only other way to shorten the wheelbase is to steepen the head tube angle which also has drawbacks.

Thanks for doing your best to address the issues Pivot. That's not a very long list of tires and for me would mean special ordering just to see if I like them. Expensive proposition. Hopefully you can find common ground between these issues on the 2013.

Arrrghhh!!!
    Anyone know whether the conti trail king 2.2 or schwalbe nobby nic 2.25 will fit?

Thanks,

Josh
    The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.
    William James

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by insighter View Post
    Anyone know whether the conti trail king 2.2 or schwalbe nobby nic 2.25 will fit?

Thanks,

Josh
    the Conti I think yes, but the Schwalbe is a sure no. The Schwalbe is a high volume tire and I'm sure will rub.

Arrrghhh!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erBob View Post
    the Conti I think yes, but the Schwalbe is a sure no. The Schwalbe is a high volume tire and I'm sure will rub.
    Thanks for the response. Bummer on the NN. I sure like that tire.
    Just to clarify, is this the case on all the 429 frames from 2011 on? I.e., are there differences between the rear triangles for designs from 2011-present?

And if someone is willing to digress, what is the difference between the 2011, 2012 and 2013 frames, if any?

Thanks again,

Josh
    William James

Pivotal figure
    If you were to look at the original version 429's rear triangle you'd see that it used an "X" type bracing between the uprights(same with the Mach 5). That brace was made of sheet material and was relatively large. The new version uses a cross brace similar to what we've been using on the Firebird (and the same as the 5.7) which is more of an oval tube. This piece is much more compact than the "X" brace which is one place where we were able to trim some weight.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by insighter View Post
    Thanks for the response. Bummer on the NN. I sure like that tire.
    Just to clarify, is this the case on all the 429 frames from 2011 on? I.e., are there differences between the rear triangles for designs from 2011-present?

And if someone is willing to digress, what is the difference between the 2011, 2012 and 2013 frames, if any?

Thanks again,

Josh
    I think the 2011 frame will accept the Schwalbe but I'm sure the 2012 will not.

mtbr member
    You can add the Kenda Nevegal 29X2.2 to the list. The wheel has to be perfect, but it does fit and so does the Geax AKA 29X2.2, but with even less room to spare.
    Very true! I run the AKA 29x2.2 and if I put over 40 lbs of air in it (pavement riding) it rubs.

While I appreciate Chris coming out and talking about this. I still think it's a MAJOR flaw.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jory View Post
    Very true! I run the AKA 29x2.2 and if I put over 40 lbs of air in it (pavement riding) it rubs.

While I appreciate Chris coming out and talking about this. I still think it's a MAJOR flaw.
    Yes you are correct. I see that rubbing on the inner triangle as well. Very sad and from running the Schwalbe Hans Dampf 29X2.35 it's a massive disappointment. My 2012 frame is for sale as a result.

NMBP
    I am currently running a 2.25 Nic now. I have run it between 27 and 29 psi on a Flow, and it does not rub. It is a bit close to the brace. I have ridden it thru a variety of terrain, including rocks, roots, and smooth trail. I am 6'6" and 230 pounds, riding an XL.

Arrrghhh!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gfs69 View Post
    I am currently running a 2.25 Nic now. I have run it between 27 and 29 psi on a Flow, and it does not rub. It is a bit close to the brace. I have ridden it thru a variety of terrain, including rocks, roots, and smooth trail. I am 6'6" and 230 pounds, riding an XL.
    What year is your frame?
    William James

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    if you're running a 2011 frame the changes in the 2012 wouldn't effect you.

NMBP
    if you're running a 2011 frame the changes in the 2012 wouldn't effect you.
    2012 Frame

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    2012 Frame
    Do you have any pics of that close up to see the clearance near the cross member on the rear triangle. I can't get that tire to fit at all.

NMBP
    I can't seem to get a good photo. I can try in the sunlight later. Like I said, it is close to the brace, but it doesn't rub. I would say there is between 2 and 3 mm. The tire isn't brand new, but very close to my new one on the front.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    In all fairness to Pivot, the Hans Dampf is a huge tire. My new AKA rubbed on hills when seated and my new Saguaro rubbed often. Because the clearance is so tight, tire choice, as previously mentioned, is a guessing game.

NMBP
    Nic 2.25
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clarifying Mach 429 Tire Clearance - from Chris Cocalis-pivot-brace.jpg  

Arrrghhh!!!
    Nic 2.25
    Looks tight! Thanks for the pic.
    William James

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Nic 2.25
    Not a breathe of room in there for rocks, sand, mud or poo. Looks like that does in fact rub a bit too based on what I see on the cross member. In the end, if you're happy that is all that matters.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast