Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Clarifying Mach 429 Tire Clearance - from Chris Cocalis

25K views 92 replies 38 participants last post by  pompa 
#1 ·
Everyone:

We have had some questions regarding this thread and wanted to go on a set the record straight. First, in general we designed the new 429 to clear a wide variety of tires. Below is a pretty comprehensive list of tires that fit the 429 Alloy frames without any issues. When we redesigned the 429 AL, the new rear triangle we increased stiffness by over 20% and maintained proper tire clearance for the category.

We try our best to measure a wide variety of tires but (as most people know) sizes are all over the board and sometimes the height of the tire and the brand and/or width of rim that is used can create additional challenges. In the case of the Han’s Dampf, that tire is over 6mm taller than ANY other tire we tested regardless of stated size. It is not the widest tire but it doesn’t fall into normal standards. However, as you can see from the below list, the WTB Weirwolf 2.55 clears and is actually lower in height (but wider in width) than some of the 2.2’s including the Slant 6. The Maxxis Ardent 2.35 also has great clearance. If you are looking for a more aggressive trail oriented tire for your current 429, there are some great choices and by no means is this the total list of tires that will fit. This is just our current list of tested and confirmed tires which will grow as we get more samples to check.

If you are looking at buying a 429 aluminum, you can rest assured that we have sold thousands of these bikes with the new design and have not had negative feedback as to tire clearance issues. We did experience a very small number of frames that went out without the proper tire clearance that only affected a handful of customers. We took care of these immediately and as far as we know, all bikes in the market should be at the proper specification. If anyone has an issue with clearance on any of the tires listed below, please contact us directly and we will correct the situation. As always, we stand behind our products and want our customers to know that we are here to help if questions arise.

Hutchinson Cobra 2.25 tubeless
Kenda Slant Six 2.2
Kenda Honey Badger 2.2
WTB Wolverine 2.2 tubeless
WTB Bronson 2.2 tubeless
WTB Stout 2.3
WTB Weirwolf 2.55
Maxxis Ardent 2.35 tubeless
Maxxis Ikon 2.2
Conti Race King 2.2
Conti Mountain King 2.2
Specialized Eskar 2.3 tubeless
Specialized Purgatory 2.2 tubeless

Sincerely,
Chris Cocalis

See less See more
#45 ·
MKII Protection failed at the bead. I have become used to many tires surviving the occasional rim strike. My MKII and X-King are not that tough. At higher pressures it feels like I'm running a tube. I suspect Schwalbe is more expensive because of better construction. I tried a worn Captain 2.2 but it packs up more than the MKII and has less clearance. I'm am not happy. Winter/trail tires are either high volume 2.2 or above or skinny mud tires. I think a replacement triangle at cost should be considered for those who do not live in the southwest. I have a Crossmark LUST on order. If there is decent clearance and knob height, I will take a blade to it. I may try a Ground Control if the 2.1 has less volume than a NN 2.25.

#46 ·
I think a replacement triangle at cost should be considered for those who do not live in the southwest. I have a Crossmark LUST on order.
hehe! You were such a strong defender of the limited tyre options and have now come full circle.
FWIW I'm getting along just fine with my racing ralphs in the 13 frame but I'm glad I don't have to consider proper winter riding.
Given that this is the 3rd generation of this frame and this problem has been identified since the first, I think this is pretty poor form.

#47 ·
You got me. I love the bike, and Pivot has provided good customer service to me in the past. I hate to seem like I'm throwing them under the bus, but until the Gato TNT 2.1 comes out, I'm stuck, literally in clay mud. The Geax TNT tires "ride big" because of the stiff sidewalls. In the summer my RR is great. Looking at your pictures, you may have a little more clearance than I do. Hopefully I will receive some feedback regarding the volume of the GC. If the 429 was a mediocre performer, the solution would be easy. Even resale, as another has mentioned, has probably been affected by these posts.

#49 ·
I'm with you - LOVE the Geax tires and ran their 2.2 AKA in the back, but if there was even humidity in the air the thing would clog then rub. Running a Continental out back now. It's OK, but it's not high volume, stiff sidewall dream that the Geax tires are.

Really will a Gato TNT be coming out in 2.1???

#48 ·
I opted to go with an older frame even though it is used-- I love Pivot's design but the smaller clearance just won't work in the Northeast US. Maybe they'll eventually listen, especially since the carbon version has gobs of clearance. In the meantime I plan to enjoy the older version. For those who like the more typical volume tires, glad the frame is working-- I prefer something bigger.

#52 · (Edited)
650b fixed mine....! Pivot Mach 427

good thing I bought mine to convert anyway...didn't notice the clearance problem at the shop when I purchased it...owe well Pivot 427...? ..................................................................... ok here are some pix of the finished bike.......! after first test drive it feels awesome..........! roll's just as fast as my 29er wheels but feels way more nimble and lighter, I may have just hit the G-spot, I ordered a lg. frame, usually I ride med. but the 3/4" drop made it perfect and BB is at 12.5, ok..! but now plan on a FOX 34 TALAS 650b fork with 160mm should bring thing in focuses and slack the head tube some...! also plenty of room for fat tires, Schwalbe Hans Dampf 27.5-2.35 or vee-rubber 27.5-2.4's

Attachments

#53 ·
good thing I bought mine to convert anyway...didn't notice the clearance problem at the shop when I purchased it...owe well Pivot 427...?
That looks like the first great use of this frame I've seen.

I sold my 2012 429 for what amounted to a song. In some ways I'm sorry because nothing rides like that bike that I've ridden since and in some ways I'm happy because I don't have to constantly compromise my tire selections based on frame clearance.

I'll be curious to know how the bike rides as a 650b. I hope it works out because that would be the case to get another frame and build it out. :)

#57 ·
Everyone:

We have had some questions regarding this thread and wanted to go on a set the record straight. First, in general we designed the new 429 to clear a wide variety of tires. Below is a pretty comprehensive list of tires that fit the 429 Alloy frames without any issues. When we redesigned the 429 AL, the new rear triangle we increased stiffness by over 20% and maintained proper tire clearance for the category.

We try our best to measure a wide variety of tires but (as most people know) sizes are all over the board and sometimes the height of the tire and the brand and/or width of rim that is used can create additional challenges. In the case of the Han's Dampf, that tire is over 6mm taller than ANY other tire we tested regardless of stated size. It is not the widest tire but it doesn't fall into normal standards. However, as you can see from the below list, the WTB Weirwolf 2.55 clears and is actually lower in height (but wider in width) than some of the 2.2's including the Slant 6. The Maxxis Ardent 2.35 also has great clearance. If you are looking for a more aggressive trail oriented tire for your current 429, there are some great choices and by no means is this the total list of tires that will fit. This is just our current list of tested and confirmed tires which will grow as we get more samples to check.

If you are looking at buying a 429 aluminum, you can rest assured that we have sold thousands of these bikes with the new design and have not had negative feedback as to tire clearance issues. We did experience a very small number of frames that went out without the proper tire clearance that only affected a handful of customers. We took care of these immediately and as far as we know, all bikes in the market should be at the proper specification. If anyone has an issue with clearance on any of the tires listed below, please contact us directly and we will correct the situation. As always, we stand behind our products and want our customers to know that we are here to help if questions arise.

Hutchinson Cobra 2.25 tubeless
Kenda Slant Six 2.2
Kenda Honey Badger 2.2
WTB Wolverine 2.2 tubeless
WTB Bronson 2.2 tubeless
WTB Stout 2.3
WTB Weirwolf 2.55
Maxxis Ardent 2.35 tubeless
Maxxis Ikon 2.2
Conti Race King 2.2
Conti Mountain King 2.2
Specialized Eskar 2.3 tubeless
Specialized Purgatory 2.2 tubeless

Sincerely,
Chris Cocalis
Very glad/interested to see this info. I was about to pull the trigger on a '12 429 frame, then decided to look into tire clearance, as I wanted to run somewhat high-volume tires. You stated above that if anyone has fit issues with the tires you listed that you will correct the situation. Does that only apply to '13 frames and/or newer, or would it also apply to a '12 frame? The tire I have in question is the Racing Ralph, so any feedback/info would be appreciated. Thanks!

#58 ·
The racing ralph 2.25 should fit. The 2.4 probably won't fit. I run 2.25 Rocket Ron on my rear, and i believe the Ralph's are a little lower profile. I think if you read through all the postings someone said the the RaRa 2.25 fit.

#59 ·
Disappointed in a big way.
I'm running a 2013 frame.
2.2 RaRa's coped fine in the summer but properly clogged up in seconds at the first drying puddle I came across. The remainder of the ride was frequently interrupted by wheel clearing exercises.
Its no good providing a list of tyres that will fit, but rather a list that will handle some mud. It is an off road bike after all!
To have such an expensive bike resigned to dry summer riding is a big waste.
I find it hard to reconcile that this flaw has been present in the last 2 generations of this frame but not addressed in any way.
After only 500 kms I am now considering moving my bits to another frame.

#60 ·
Ground Control 2.1
Mountain King II 2.2
Pending Gato 2.1

If you prefer high volume you're out of luck. From personal experience the GC and MK clear clay mud decently but of course are not dedicated mud tires. No one runs mud tires where I ride because water saturated clay mud clogs them. A tire that is equivalent to the RaRa in speed and of course is not an optimal wet tire is the X-King 2.2. It will get you through those muddy patches without gunking up your frame.

#61 ·
Thank you for that.
Will try the X-king 2.2. Seems to get good reviews.
Always used my summer tyres all year here as its never muddy for long enough to justify seasonal changes.
My RaRa's are about 80% worn so a new one would be impossible to ride in anything but the driest conditions.

#68 ·
Maxxis Ardent 2.25 fit

I know the official Pivot response says the Ardent 2.25 fits (the normal version, not the race version), but have any of the riders ridden that tire on the 429A? I would be interested to see how it goes and if you have had any issues. Thinking about buying this bike and that is a tire I am perfectly happy with.

Thanks!

#73 ·
These are the tires I've been running for the last two years. They fit fine, no issues, and work well with the bike for trail and endurance racing.

I know the official Pivot response says the Ardent 2.25 fits (the normal version, not the race version), but have any of the riders ridden that tire on the 429A? I would be interested to see how it goes and if you have had any issues. Thinking about buying this bike and that is a tire I am perfectly happy with.

Thanks!

#74 ·
Is there any difference in tire clearance a 2014 frame?

I'm getting ready to build one, and very obviously the Conti Mtn King 2.4 won't fit on the frame. Should I get another Conti, but in 2.2, or will a Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 or 2.35 fit on there?

Wish i would have done more research on this tire fitting problem. I love running bigger tires, since I'm a fat a$$ who needs the extra tire!!

#78 ·
The old NN 2.25 wouldn't fit. The 2.2 MK fits. The 2.25 Ardent will fit. I personally think the 2.25 EXO Ardent gets a bad rap as a install and forget rear trail tire, especially during the dryer months. It and the 2.4 are only overwhelmed on longer travel AM bikes and too much tire on non techy trails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.